Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CaribbeanNinja

Form Up - republic squads preview

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

FFG is not a charity. If a part of a company is not profitable, it needs to change. Better they operate efficiently and lay off workers than they drive the business right into bankruptcy and everyone gets screwed.

 

45 minutes ago, >kkj said:

I'm pretty sure most here know how businesses work. Its the means they apply to operate efficiently that are problematic/unethical in this case. It's not like they would suddenly go bankrupt by treating their employees slightly better.

 

It's deeper too - this should be a happy time for the Miniatures Devs, especially folks who worked on Armada - two brand new factions, 6 new products launching in just a few weeks, points rebalance for this first time since the game started, likely a FAQ/errata, getting articles out in a 'blitz' and generating all this hype - stunning accomplishments that the team should be celebrating...

instead they got let go. It's gotta be soul-crushing, even if the profits/expenses are out of whack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, eliteone said:

It's deeper too - this should be a happy time for the Miniatures Devs, especially folks who worked on Armada - two brand new factions, 6 new products launching in just a few weeks, points rebalance for this first time since the game started, likely a FAQ/errata, getting articles out in a 'blitz' and generating all this hype - stunning accomplishments that the team should be celebrating...

instead they got let go. It's gotta be soul-crushing, even if the profits/expenses are out of whack. 

Not to mention Thanksgiving is next week! Very unfortunate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, eliteone said:

 

 

It's deeper too - this should be a happy time for the Miniatures Devs, especially folks who worked on Armada - two brand new factions, 6 new products launching in just a few weeks, points rebalance for this first time since the game started, likely a FAQ/errata, getting articles out in a 'blitz' and generating all this hype - stunning accomplishments that the team should be celebrating...

instead they got let go. It's gotta be soul-crushing, even if the profits/expenses are out of whack. 

Corporatism is a cancer. Say what you will about X or Y economic philosophies, but big companies who act more like money-making machines that will casually eject employees like an infected limb are an element of some version of ****-on-Earth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Corporatism is a cancer. Say what you will about X or Y economic philosophies, but big companies who act more like money-making machines that will casually eject employees like an infected limb are an element of some version of ****-on-Earth. 

But won't *someone* please think about shareholder value?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ianediger said:

Ah, so the Hyperspace Rings are so the ARCs don't suffer from the B-wing's problem of 'mobile minefield'

ARC-170s and Hyperspace Rings should be a great pairing that compensates for it being speed 2 (like the B-Wing).

The only problem with Hyperspace Rings is that, logically, any starfighter equipped with a hyperdrive should have the Scout keyword.

I don't expect FFG or AMG to revise the GCW squadrons and give all the starfighters with hyperdrives (according to canon) the Scout keyword -- but there is that logical inconsistency with the introduction of Hyperspace Rings.

But I think we can live with it. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Captain Corvid said:

ARC-170s and Hyperspace Rings should be a great pairing that compensates for it being speed 2 (like the B-Wing).

The only problem with Hyperspace Rings is that, logically, any starfighter equipped with a hyperdrive should have the Scout keyword.

I don't expect FFG or AMG to revise the GCW squadrons and give all the starfighters with hyperdrives (according to canon) the Scout keyword -- but there is that logical inconsistency with the introduction of Hyperspace Rings.

But I think we can live with it. 😉

Yeah its slightly annoying but im not too bothered about it. Theres room for some sort of future gcw upgrade that does the same thing. 'Hyperspace guidance' or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ophion said:

Yeah its slightly annoying but im not too bothered about it. Theres room for some sort of future gcw upgrade that does the same thing. 'Hyperspace guidance' or something.

"Strike Coordinates" sounds fun. Make it a rebel-only fleet command, have it be "Before deploying fleets, give X amount of non-Rogue squadrons (where X = your fleet's combined squadron value) 'Scout'." Could put the scene of the fighters scrambling from Yavin-4 from Rogue One as the pic.

Thoughts?

Edited by Cruzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

FFG is not a charity. If a part of a company is not profitable, it needs to change. Better they operate efficiently and lay off workers than they drive the business right into bankruptcy and everyone gets screwed.

I seriously doubt that Asmodee's decisions are because FFG was "un-profitable" considering how successful X-Wing, Legion, and Keyforge have been. I suspect that FFG just wasn't profitable enough to satisfy Asmodee's parent investors.

IMO if a business generates enough revenue to cover all of its expenses, including employee salaries and benefits, and makes $1 extra, that business is profitable and therefore successful. As long as that business continues to make quality products that the majority of its customers like and buy, it shouldn't be meddled with just to maximize profits, because that only benefits the faceless wealthy people at the top. The employees and customers never benefit from the higher-ups' greed. On the contrary, the customers are taken for granted and exploited, and the employees become casualties of that greed -- as appears to be case with the FFG layoffs.

If I had the choice, I'd never give a penny to Asmodee and gleefully watch as their empire crumbled and went bankrupt.

I whole-heartedly support FFG's games and all the people who make them.

But this subject is best left to the "FFG Layoffs" thread.

I'm much rather talk about a happier subject like the Republic Fight Squadrons pack Preview...

Edited by Captain Corvid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ophion said:

No strategic anywhere is a bit interesting. I wonder if the seperatists will have it as an option. No token farming for the republic!

Wait for more GAR squads. The Twilight would probable have it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bravo Null said:

Wait for more GAR squads. The Twilight would probable have it. 

Yeah but given squad pack 2 was wave 5(?) Thats a long time for them to catch up. Hopefully wont be a big impact on competitive ness.

I do like the force structure of the republic squad force though, everything fits well in its role.eg v19s have a good enough points break on the jedi and arcs to make them fit the escort role well, compared to the rebels. No speed5 interceptor will be interesting though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ophion said:

Yeah but given squad pack 2 was wave 5(?) Thats a long time for them to catch up. Hopefully wont be a big impact on competitive ness.

I do like the force structure of the republic squad force though, everything fits well in its role.eg v19s have a good enough points break on the jedi and arcs to make them fit the escort role well, compared to the rebels. No speed5 interceptor will be interesting though...

Just have it instead of a second Rogues & Villains pack (because screw 1 each on squads, especially across two different factions :P)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

"Strike Coordinates" sounds fun. Make it a rebel-only fleet command, have it be "Before deploying fleets, give X amount of non-Rogue squadrons (where X = your fleet's combined squadron value) 'Scout'." Could put the scene of the fighters scrambling from Yavin-4 from Rogue One as the pic.

Thoughts?

With the wording you have there “(where X = your fleet’s combined squadron value)” it sounds like you’re pitching a commander card more than some other type of upgrade. Imo Hyperspace Rings is balanced because it’s limited by a single ship’s squadron value, thus in order to have more scout squadrons you need to bring more of the same upgrade on other ships, making you scale the price and tailor your list for scout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Captain Corvid said:

IMO if a business generates enough revenue to cover all of its expenses, including employee salaries and benefits, and makes $1 extra, that business is profitable and therefore successful.

Incorrect. A business is an investment. If an investment does not yield a sufficient return to justify the risk involved, then it is a failure. Not only must it compensate for the risk of loss, but it needs to keep pace with inflation as well. If you’re generating $1 after expenses on your investment, that is not sustainable and, in light of opportunity cost, a substantial loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, redleader002 said:

With the wording you have there “(where X = your fleet’s combined squadron value)” it sounds like you’re pitching a commander card more than some other type of upgrade. Imo Hyperspace Rings is balanced because it’s limited by a single ship’s squadron value, thus in order to have more scout squadrons you need to bring more of the same upgrade on other ships, making you scale the price and tailor your list for scout.

Fleet Commands are normally universal, can be single-use and are at a premium due to Pelta/Flag Bridge being the only options on the Rebel side. It COULD be a commander, but if it was, that couldn't be the only effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ophion said:

No strategic anywhere is a bit interesting. I wonder if the seperatists will have it as an option. No token farming for the republic!

Based on the squadron bases visible in the promotion images, the Separatist squadrons don't have Strategic either -- unless an unrevealed Separatist Ace has Strategic... which is possible, because the Republic squadrons didn't appear to have Intel until Kit Fisto was revealed today.

Regardless, we do know from the Sep squadron bases that the Belbullab-12 has the Relay keyword, whereas none of the Republic squadrons has Relay. It's unusual for one faction to receive a keyword like Relay but not the other faction. Perhaps the Separatists won't get an Intel squadron to balance it out?

 

1 minute ago, Bravo Null said:

Wait for more GAR squads. The Twilight would probable have it. 

If I had to guess, the Twilight will be Anakin's unique ship in a Clone Wars version of the Rogues & Villain pack. I suppose the Twilight and/or the generic version could have Strategic, but I predict the Republic's Strategic squadron will be a shuttle/transport, similar to the Lambda or VCX-100. There are several Strategic options for the Republic: Nu-class attack shuttle, Eta-class shuttle, Theta-class shuttle, or possibly even the LAAT/i gunship. I predict that one of those will be in Republic Fighter Squadrons II and will have Strategic.

Speaking only for my local META, players rarely choose token-based Objectives so the Republic and Separatists' lack of Strategic squadrons isn't a serious concern -- but it could be in competitive play... whenever that resumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Captain Corvid said:

It's unusual for one faction to receive a keyword like Relay but not the other faction.

I'm all for this. Bring on more asymmetry! The Republic has Adept and Dodge. The Separatists have AI. They can make do without Relay and Strategic. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Fleet Commands are normally universal, can be single-use and are at a premium due to Pelta/Flag Bridge being the only options on the Rebel side. It COULD be a commander, but if it was, that couldn't be the only effect.

I completely forgot about fleet commands. I still think scaling price for adding scout to more squads is necessary for balance, but now that you’ve reminded me that they exist having a pregame fleet command card would be a nice shake up to the slot that I wouldn’t actually be opposed to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Incorrect. A business is an investment. If an investment does not yield a sufficient return to justify the risk involved, then it is a failure. Not only must it compensate for the risk of loss, but it needs to keep pace with inflation as well. If you’re generating $1 after expenses on your investment, that is not sustainable and, in light of opportunity cost, a substantial loss.

That's just contemporary business "philosophy", which is about as moral as a gold-digging widow.

If FFG wasn't owned Asmodee, which in turn wasn't owned by an investment group, FFG could be sustainable as long as it made at least $1 profit every year. And we all know that FFG makes A LOT more profit than just $1 a year.

This is almost certainly a case of FFG's annual profits being in the modest millions, but Asmodee's investors want it to be tens or hundreds of millions. No amount of money will ever satisfy "people" like that. And the vain attempt only costs good people's jobs.

But who really cares about the people responsible for making the games that we all enjoy and discuss on this forum, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...