Sign in to follow this  
Thenger

Implants and Combat

So I did a quick search and wasn't able to find anything that I was truely looking for.  I am looking to see if their is any book or a place of sourse data that has a deep look into implants.  Anything from an eye to replacing an arm or hand.  I am just getting some ideas from looking through one of my Cyperpunk books (old RPG game) and saw hoe some implants gave bonuses to attacks and damage. 

Is there anything like that in DH?  I know if you replace an arm it would give you more damage with a melee weapon based on the str of the arm itself.  But is there anything along that lines that would help to hit?  With a melee weapon or a ranged weapon?  Thanks folks, was thinking of creating a villian for one of my games and would love to have any of this information, would be great.  Thanks!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'deep look'...

If you're just looking for a good selection of different things, the core book has a pretty good selection of the most common implants you're going to see outside the imperium. The Inquisitor's Handbook and the Rogue Trader book have some more high-end items, but those are things that generally require contacts within the AdMech and/or lots of money.

However, if you're looking for more in-depth rules on implants, seeing them statted up like gear or equipment, I think you're out of luck. Thus far, it seems that the rules for implants FFG has given us have been pretty skeleton, allowing for some flexibility, but not going into a lot of detail. If you're looking for this, you're best bet, I think is going to be to whip up some homebrew stuff. 

The Boy Named Crow said:

However, if you're looking for more in-depth rules on implants, seeing them statted up like gear or equipment, I think you're out of luck. Thus far, it seems that the rules for implants FFG has given us have been pretty skeleton, allowing for some flexibility, but not going into a lot of detail. If you're looking for this, you're best bet, I think is going to be to whip up some homebrew stuff. 

Yeah thats kind of what I was looking for, something that was a bit more black and white.  Thanks though for the info.

The IH has some stuff on Mining Helot Implants, drug glanding/feeding implants, and a bit beyond I think if you count Secutors and Machinator-Array options as feasible material. The RH has Maletek Stalker upgrades, and some more...alternative options. The RT Corebook has some more stuff again, like muscle grafting, subdermal armour plates, and MIU-weapon links, which might be worth looking into.

That's all I can remember from the "important" books in those fields. I could take a more detailed look if you're after anything in particular, but alas, I'm too lazy to go through it all off the bat :P

I think he is looking for something more like in Cyberpunk (hey, he even referenced it!) where there was an entire chapter in the core book just on cybernetics and substantial extra chapters packed full of semi-random cyber-whatever drizzled liberally through several suplement books.  Not really anything like that for DH, RT, etc so far.  Probably not in the future either.   

You could use the basic framework provided in the core book for implants and extra features:  Add the basic cost of the implant to the existing implant to add a special feature or sense.  For example if you have a basic model augmetic eye and you want to add Darksight to it you add the price of your basic eye TO the existing implant AGAIN to determine the new price.   So say your basic model implant costs 1,000tg and you are adding two features then the total cost for the implant is 3,000tg  [1,000 base + (1,000 x 2) = 3,000].  If there is nothing in an existing DH/RT/Deathwatch book that covers the implant in question then either A) Make it up. or B) "Steal Shamelessly" from Cyberpunk/Shadowrun and make sure the item is setting-appropriate and plug some minor advantages and disadvantages for having the new implant using the DH rules.   Since "Steal Shamelessly" is a verbatum quote from a Cyberpunk GM's guidebook I seriously doubt Mike Pondsmith would be that upset.  Heck, he would probably thank you for remembering the older version of the game instead of the 3rd. Ed. abortion.

Just be careful to not make augmetics too overpowered in this way.  Cyberpunk was notorious for game-balance issues arrising from absurdly bonus-laden implants and you want to avoid that in your game (presumably).  The gritty, clunky, questionable "street-ware" is a fairly appropriate place to start your looting.  The sleek and fancy data and fashion-ware on the other hand are a REALLY bad idea to port over for the dark future in most cases, possible exceptions for especially decadent nobles and Rogue Traders obviously.

Since "Steal Shamelessly" is a verbatum quote from a Cyberpunk GM's guidebook I seriously doubt Mike Pondsmith would be that upset.  Heck, he would probably thank you for remembering the older version of the game instead of the 3rd. Ed. abortion.

Ughh. As an Old CP2020 veteran I cringe every time I am reminded of that...thing. *takes a big mug of black coffee to smooth nerves.* 

The gritty, clunky, questionable "street-ware" is a fairly appropriate place to start your looting.  The sleek and fancy data and fashion-ware on the other hand are a REALLY bad idea to port over for the dark future in most cases, possible exceptions for especially decadent nobles and Rogue Traders obviously.

Yes. The are literally tons of cyber options  available in the old CP2020 books. Most of them can be adapted fairly easily ( physical enhancements etc. ). The netrunning stuff is propably the most difficult since it needs the more work ( if you want to include them ), since the settings are so fundamentally different in their approach to information technology.

Aajav-Khan said:

Yes. The are literally tons of cyber options  available in the old CP2020 books. Most of them can be adapted fairly easily ( physical enhancements etc. ). The netrunning stuff is propably the most difficult since it needs the more work ( if you want to include them ), since the settings are so fundamentally different in their approach to information technology.

I would lay down a big fat "HELL NO!" for the netrunning stuff.  Absolutely not appropriate for the game setting in 40k.   And I say this having played a netrunner for far too long in that game.  Heck, my RL name is even printed in the netrunning book...  Likewise, some of the stuff in the Chromebooks is my fault.  lengua.gif

Thanks Zilla, yeah those are some pretty sweet ideas on how to make those work.  Thanks.  Yeah i do remember that CP2020 wasn't a balanced game at all, but I had lots of fun playing it.

I would lay down a big fat "HELL NO!" for the netrunning stuff.  Absolutely not appropriate for the game setting in 40k.  

Would be my personal take also gui%C3%B1o.gif. But like I said: IF you want to adapt netrunning gear for the 40K games, prepare to do some major conversion work.

And I say this having played a netrunner for far too long in that game.  Heck, my RL name is even printed in the netrunning book...  Likewise, some of the stuff in the Chromebooks is my fault.  lengua.gif

The Feth? Really!? Exactly what pieces are part of your sins? Confess immediately happy.gif! *digs up his CP2020 books from his home library*