Sign in to follow this  
DarthRulesLawyer

Help me decide whether to buy an SSD...

5 hours ago, Green Knight said:

You could just wait, then buy.

But really, even with GT it's not far from being a paper weight ;) 

Looks nice on the shelf though.

Thanks to the Command Prototype's 0% winrate, we can deduce the Jerjerrod Assault Prototype performed very well in the most recent primes data (at the very beginning of wave 8, 7.6% of lists -> 14% of all wins.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zLdqo9y47lqIKubfrEUKV8gX5t9Ee-XuemM4xbiB_8A/edit#gid=322361150

It's likely, even intuitive that the Starhawk matchup is a disaster for it.

But otherwise it's been highly competitive so far and less likely to yield points than almost any other archetype.

As far as gunery teams.  Look at it this way.

If your opponent has 3 ships in your front arc for more than 1 turn brobably at long range.  They didn't even try.  You are lucky to get 2 maybe MAYBE 3 rounds with 2 targets in your front arc.  The SSD relies on nav commands and gimicks to turn.  I have a list that allows me to turn a lot with Take Evasive Action and I still don't usually get 2-3 shoots out the front arc more than once or twice.  I don't think that the SSD needs a nerf on Gunnery teams.  It's not supper hard to get out of the front arc.

41 minutes ago, Rune Taq said:

As far as gunery teams.  Look at it this way.

If your opponent has 3 ships in your front arc for more than 1 turn brobably at long range.  They didn't even try.  You are lucky to get 2 maybe MAYBE 3 rounds with 2 targets in your front arc.  The SSD relies on nav commands and gimicks to turn.  I have a list that allows me to turn a lot with Take Evasive Action and I still don't usually get 2-3 shoots out the front arc more than once or twice.  I don't think that the SSD needs a nerf on Gunnery teams.  It's not supper hard to get out of the front arc.

The problem is that Gunnery Teams doesn't just create opportunities, it's a preventative measure to dissuade your opponent from trying to cram half his Rieekan MSU build into one arc.

Or just squadrons + a ship, allowing you to only hit one.

I'd be very surprised if they straight up take away GT on huges though.

I'd advise buying it.

Considering what I know about the upcoming errata and points rebalance I plan on storing my current upgrades as soon as they release the 1.5 version. I've saved and printed the rules as they are now. I will always be able to go back and play the original version. I do not think they'll nerf one of their coolest expansions beyond repair like that, but if they do there's nothing stopping me from setting up a 1.0 match. 

It's an amazing model and well worth it, even if they alter how cards function, you can always find someone to play the game as it is now. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

13 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

The problem is that Gunnery Teams doesn't just create opportunities, it's a preventative measure to dissuade your opponent from trying to cram half his Rieekan MSU build into one arc.

Or just squadrons + a ship, allowing you to only hit one.

I'd be very surprised if they straight up take away GT on huges though.

This. Granted, I've only fielded my SSD twice, but both times, I equipped Gunnery Teams simply to mitigate this strategy. Neither here nor there, but I still find it to be a fun ship to fly. Unless you have Jerjerrod and are navigating constantly, it feels more like a space station than a ship.

Flip a coin. If it comes up heads, buy it. If it comes up tails, buy it.

Seriously though: I'm a proponent of buying one of everything just to have it, but I can understand the hesitation to drop 200 dollars on a huge model. I got into Armada specifically because I saw the SSD at my LGS (it wasn't my first purchase, but I wanted to get it as a shelf decoration if nothing else). Unless you think you're literally never ever going to actually use it or any upgrades that come with it (I like Krennic on an Arquitens), I say go for it before it goes out of stock again/forever. And when/if it does, you can probably resell it for a pretty good cost.

Edited by Flyinpenguin117

Biggest piece of plastic crack you can buy! Get it! All the cool kids are doing it. 

I have 2, so be at least half as cool as me... 

Kidding. It's a freaking SSD. Embrace your inner child, and own your own SSD. First time in our lives a beautiful model of the Executor was available for any price under $500. You will kick yourself if you can never get it again.

Edited by cynanbloodbane

On 11/2/2020 at 1:49 PM, Formynder4 said:

Definitely not. Piett is better in many cases.

I agree, Piett is great with the SSD.

Many players auto-include Jerjerrod on the SSD because the huge ship doesn't have yaw on its maneuvers. But Nav commands enable the SSD to turn, just like any other ship. The SSD auto-generates a token for a dial, which means the SSD can Nav Dial and turn, bank the token; and next round, reveal a different dial, and use Piett's ability use the Nav token as if it was a dial, and turn the SSD again.

For me, I always use the Executor ship title with Piett so I can bank extra command tokens. Having a supply of Nav tokens will keep the SSD turning for multiple rounds. But the best is using Repair dials and tokens to keep restoring/moving shields and repairing hull damage. Piett+Executor allows the SSD to mitigate a lot of damage -- especially from swarms of smaller ships -- and keep the huge ship from being crippled.

That's why I prefer Piett over Jerry.

On 11/5/2020 at 1:09 AM, cynanbloodbane said:

Biggest piece of plastic crack you can buy! Get it! All the cool kids are doing it. 

I have 2, so be at least half as cool as me... 

Kidding. It's a freaking SSD. Embrace your inner child, and own your own SSD. First time in our lives a beautiful model of the Executor was available for any price under $500. You will kick yourself if you can never get it again.

I sniff mine all the time.🥴😜🤪

On 11/7/2020 at 7:06 PM, The Jabbawookie said:

Get a load of this guy, doesn't even sniff his SSD.

What's he trying to hide?🤨

He is in the denial stage, he still has to accept his habit before he can move forward into armada 1.5 safely.

just off to sniff a bit of home one 😳😤🤯

On 11/6/2020 at 9:35 PM, Bertie Wooster said:

I jumped on this deal. I have not been able to justify $160, but at almost half off, I jumped on board. Now if i could just find a Starhawk.