Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DarthRulesLawyer

Help me decide whether to buy an SSD...

Recommended Posts

I like the SSD and would love to purchase one to be able to take to a tournament one day but I heard a rumor they might be changing Gunnery Team not to work with huge ships.  If that's the case, I would definitely pass because I don't think the SSD can manage without having at least two shots out the front to deal with enemy ships and a third to stave off enemy fighters.  Can someone please give me a little hint or nudge in the right direction?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen the rumor about Gunnery Teams.  If true hopefully it isn't too drastic.

Currently an SSD could fire at three targets from the front arc using GTs. If the GT card was limited to attacking twice out of the same arc (at different targets) it wouldn't harm ISDs at all, SSDs would still be fine and would still take GTs most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opponents can generally only get so many ships in a given arc anyhow, even if gunnery teams were to be somehow limited I think it would be fine.  The Starhawk and Onager are more problematic for the SSD in competitive play anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mad Cat said:

I haven't seen the rumor about Gunnery Teams.  If true hopefully it isn't too drastic.

Currently an SSD could fire at three targets from the front arc using GTs. If the GT card was limited to attacking twice out of the same arc (at different targets) it wouldn't harm ISDs at all, SSDs would still be fine and would still take GTs most of the time.

I suspect GT will be an exhaust with cost to refresh. So it may require a token of some sort to use it in a future round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If an unknown is definitely going to affect such a big purchase, it's probably best to just wait until official information comes out from FFG. You shouldn't have to wait longer than December to have an answer, I think. Maybe even November.

Rumors from forums posts, etc. are not guaranteed information so I personally wouldn't let them affect my purchasing decisions much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a VERY fun ship to play. But it’s also fairly hard to play well in a competition and relatively easy to counter. 
 

The model is gorgeous, and it’s worth buying just for that. 

Edited by bkcammack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bkcammack said:

I suspect GT will be an exhaust with cost to refresh. So it may require a token of some sort to use it in a future round. 

Yeah, that‘s very likely. And I suppose, they limit the number of attacks you can perform from the same arc to two. The third attack from the same arc was a kind of accident with a new rule together with an old upgrade card, I would think..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SSD is currently quite dependent on Gunnery Team. However, I recommend not to make this decision dependent on one upgrade card.

Armada is an ever changing game. Will there be future changes that make the SSD shift out of the meta? For sure. That happened with every single ship. But also for sure there will be changes that bring it back. That is the nature of the game.

Edited by Darth Veggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

If an unknown is definitely going to affect such a big purchase, it's probably best to just wait until official information comes out from FFG. You shouldn't have to wait longer than December to have an answer, I think. Maybe even November.

There is a hierarchy in decision making:

The best is making the right choice

The ok is making the wromg choice

The worst is not making a choice

I hope you arent advocating the latter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DarthRulesLawyer said:

I like the SSD and would love to purchase one to be able to take to a tournament one day but I heard a rumor they might be changing Gunnery Team not to work with huge ships.  If that's the case, I would definitely pass because I don't think the SSD can manage without having at least two shots out the front to deal with enemy ships and a third to stave off enemy fighters.  Can someone please give me a little hint or nudge in the right direction?  Thanks.

You could just wait, then buy.

But really, even with GT it's not far from being a paper weight ;) 

Looks nice on the shelf though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SSD is definitely worth purchasing. An Imperial player's collection will never be complete unless they own the SSD. And I think most Armada players, regardless of faction, want the SSD. Even Rebel players can get it and homebrew Rebel versions, like the Lusankya and Guardian, for casual play.

The SSD can be challenging to use, mostly because only the Star Dreadnought versions are permitted in standard 400-point battles, and the choices of Commanders who synergize effectively with the SSD are limited. Regardless, the SSD can be hellafun to play, especially if you manage to catch Rebel ships in its front arc and one-shot them!

 

It's too bad that the OP started this thread now to decide whether to buy the SSD because I recently bought a second SSD on Amazon that was $50 off on Prime Day. Since then, the price has increased by $50 over the normal price on Amazon, so I wouldn't recommend buying it now. Perhaps the price will drop again on Black Friday, and other retailers might put the SSD on sale too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...