Sign in to follow this  
boersma8

Scaling cliffs, assaults and moving DIRECTLY into bunker and/or building hexes and suggestions to improve the "Bloody Omaha"scenario

Lebatron said:

But in reality flamethrowers actual effective range was about 50 feet or less horizontally. So no, I can't see a flamethrower successfully attacking a bunker 80 feet above. I could see one shooting up one level but not two. Apparently this was overlooked when writing up the flamethrower rules and it would make an excellent house rule. Since I never played that scenario yet or ever came across a similar situation in other scenarios, the problem never occurred to me. Thanks for bringing this up so that I can have this house rule in place before we ever get to this scenario. "

I agree that man-portable flamethrower range is very short. It is my understanding that man-portable flamethrower range is no more than one hex or assault range (same hex) regardless elevation. If flamethrower range is being extended beyond the one hex range due to the "long range" rule, I disagree with this application of long range due to the technical specs of WW2 flamethrower technology.

Ah so true. There should be no long range shot capability to flamethrowers. Shooting 2 hexes is impossible no matter the combat penalty. Heck even shooting 1 hex is streching it. You would have to assume the flamethrower squad is near the edge of the hex shooting at another squad also located near the edge of the hex. If both squads where standing exactly in the middle of each hex I believe the flame could not reach the other squad.

So with this new obsevation you pointed out I will add this to my house rule on Flamethrowers. Which is basically thus:

Flamethrowers can not target units 2 elevation levels above them, nor can they fire beyond 1 hex range. ie no long range fire possible.

Lebatron said:

Flamethrowers can not target units 2 elevation levels above them, nor can they fire beyond 1 hex range. ie no long range fire possible. 

I agree!  I hope that FFG become official.

Remember: 
'Flaming Death: When a flamethrower squas attacks an adjacent enemy unit, the attacking squad gains +2 firepower and the target unit receives -5 cover". Rule Book, page 44.

The bonus only applies to adjacent attacks. Flamethrowers can only burns the adjacent hex.

Seems your right. According to that line long range attacks with a flamethrower was already out of the question. Well good job FFG guys for getting that right but shame on you for not considering the elevation problem. Well nobody is perfect;)