Jump to content
Jarval

Total Destruction - Droid Tri-Fighter preview up!

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Pa Weasley said:

"My name is Odd Ball and I approve of this upgrade." 

Oddball doesn't need it.  Just Synchronized Console and go.

Huge get for a LAAT, though.  Focus and attack, for a 3-dice with rerolls attack, then light up the entire squad.  Warthog + Blue Torrents got even better.

Where it'll really shine, however, is factions without SynCon or other tricks like that.

Edited by theBitterFig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ClassicalMoser said:

Doesn't get you double-mods for your whole squad though. I feel like he'll really like this.

Fair.  I've had some fun toying around with Oddball + 3 Jedi, and this would be sweet there, too.

3 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

TBH, you could take it on a total generic Swarm. 6x Concussions from 7 Z-95s for an alpha strike? Seems scary.

IIRC, the best of the 1e missile Z-95 swarms ran with like 3 Tracers and 4 Missiles (harpoons, but still).

Also, Scyks with missile slots are actually well priced for the first time.  They could be sleeper picks for this.

Dangit I wish it just didn't exist.  Lock-based-attacks should be meaningful--both in the upgraded offense for the cost, and in the difficulty of requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

IIRC, the best of the 1e missile Z-95 swarms ran with like 3 Tracers and 4 Missiles (harpoons, but still).

I feel like that speaks more to how bad most ordnance was and how ridiculous Harpoons were than anything else. Concussions could be good though; Piling AOE exposes on top of each other seems pretty crazy, especially for Direct Hit, Panicked Pilot etc. that self-repair to be flipped again.

Vultures might be scarier than Z-95s with this actually.

12 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Dangit I wish it just didn't exist.  Lock-based-attacks should be meaningful--both in the upgraded offense for the cost, and in the difficulty of requirements.

Same. I really didn’t expect focus and calculate to work, let alone two charges. And Range 1-3. Sharing a lock is one thing but “oops all locks” is some pretty serious nonsense. It’s going to have to be priced for its best-use case (probably 6-7-ship swarms) and that means it still won’t help the average list much. It’s rather annoying. And Tarkin is even more dead than he already was.

Oh, and also, HMP Gunship...

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Same. I really didn’t expect focus and calculate to work, let alone two charges. And Range 1-3. Sharing a lock is one thing but “oops all locks” is some pretty serious nonsense. It’s going to have to be priced for its best-use case (probably 6-7-ship swarms) and that means it still won’t help the average list much. It’s rather annoying. And Tarkin is even more dead than he already was.

Oh, and also, HMP Gunship...

HMP is still super easy to use, and might be better for non-ordnance lists.

Anyhow, yeah, this bolded bit.  I'd have been fine with S-Threads if they only gave the attacker *and one other ship* a lock.  Or maybe just two friendly ships of any kind.  But *EVERYONE*?

tenor.gif?itemid=15091849

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's shocking to me is that 2nd edition tracers are better than 1st edition tracers in almost every way. Can be used twice. Range for who receives the locks is wider (though it originates on the defender instead of the attacker). Easier attack requirements.

The only drawback in comparison to the 1st edition version is the the range being measured from the defender. But that's really not a drawback since you want to be shooting the enemy anyway and it lets you split up your formation more (like flanking with 3 z95s while 4 joust, barring points costs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

The only drawback in comparison to the 1st edition version is the the range being measured from the defender. But that's really not a drawback since you want to be shooting the enemy anyway and it lets you split up your formation more (like flanking with 3 z95s while 4 joust, barring points costs).

It does have two pips so you can only take two.  So it does have an additional downside, still it's a tremendous card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm struggling to be as mad about Tracers as I feel like I ought to be.

If you don't have arcs on the defender, then it's just laying up locks for later. If you do have arcs, then something sitting in all of your arcs is getting punished?

Maybe I'm just lock-desensitized from playing CIS, or maybe I'm assuming they'll cost 3x what they actually will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm not sure where to put tracers.  I mean you will have 2 ships carrying it at most.  So the big swams will have to protect those carriers until they can fire and they will probably be shooting last.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, svelok said:

maybe I'm assuming they'll cost 3x what they actually will

I feel like this will be a big part of it. They were one point in 1.0 and were fantastic. On the other hand, costs really are effective at reining things in. If they're 8 points, would you take them on your TIE Bomber over Barrage Rockets? I might, depending on the rest of my build.

I guess that brings up the question of how we feel they should cost and how we feel they're likely to be priced out the gate. If they're less than 5 points I have no doubt they'll be everywhere in short order. On the other hand, if they're over 6 I don't see them used much beyond heavy alpha-strike lists. Hmmmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Independent calculations is really gonna open up list building.  Originally I was thinking a blend of vultures and these guys would be the only way to go but this really changes things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I feel like this will be a big part of it. They were one point in 1.0 and were fantastic. On the other hand, costs really are effective at reining things in. If they're 8 points, would you take them on your TIE Bomber over Barrage Rockets? I might, depending on the rest of my build.

I guess that brings up the question of how we feel they should cost and how we feel they're likely to be priced out the gate. If they're less than 5 points I have no doubt they'll be everywhere in short order. On the other hand, if they're over 6 I don't see them used much beyond heavy alpha-strike lists. Hmmmm.

I agree with you analysis, lower cost makes it too usable, higher cost puts it in place for only showing up in niche lists. I was thinking 6 points but higher might make more sense.

57 minutes ago, reqent said:

It does have two pips so you can only take two.  So it does have an additional downside, still it's a tremendous card.

I don't think that's a huge drawback, really, at least as far as how I remember them being used in 1st edition and I would think how they'd be used now. You didn't want an entire list of tracers, you wanted maybe 3 at most if you were running a missile heavy list like z95 swarms. 2 at most feels like it'll be fine.

I wonder if we might see it thrown in on a list with TIE Advanced if it's a cheaper upgrade.

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wurms said:

This pack is gonna sell like hotcakes cause every faction will want thread tracers.

 

init 5 seppies with slam sound like some nice flanking ships. Sold me a pair :)

 

I think they are effectively the fastest ship in the game, right? 

5 straight, 5 straight SLAM

Wow 🤭🥵🤓

I can't delete those emojis xD

Edited by xanatos135

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, xanatos135 said:

I think they are effectively the fastest ship in the game, right? 

5 straight, 5 straight SLAM

Wow 🤭🥵🤓

I can't delete those emojis xD

If they have mod slot, you can take advanced slam and then boost, to give them a 5 + (base/1) + 5 + (base/1) + 1 = 13 speed move.

Edited by nopedz
i dumb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, xanatos135 said:

Which they do, since they can equip independent calculations... 😃

Even better, if you cordinate them a calculate before they move, they can launch discord missles which would mean that the buzz droid technically traveled 13 + (base/1)+3 = 18 speed move.

18 speed move

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, svelok said:

I'm struggling to be as mad about Tracers as I feel like I ought to be.

If you don't have arcs on the defender, then it's just laying up locks for later. If you do have arcs, then something sitting in all of your arcs is getting punished?

Maybe I'm just lock-desensitized from playing CIS, or maybe I'm assuming they'll cost 3x what they actually will

You don't have to be mad at anything, it's silly to get mad over a game, afterall. Especially when you have 0 experience against it.

People forget that the environment where Tracers existed before is completely different from where they exist now, so complaining before the card gets put on the table just seems silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonkers dial: check.

Sweet action bar: check.

Nutters Configuration: check.

Strong pilot abilities: check.

Broad and varied upgrade bar (implied): check.

Squishy chassis: check.

I was only going to pick up one until I'd had a chance to toy with them, but now....  I mean, I started with just one Nantex and ended up with three.  I started with just one HMP and ended up with three.  I think maybe I just dive in with three of these straight off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I just realized that you can only assign one Fearful Prey per list. While you can have 3 of the Fearsome Predators, the condition card, Fearful Prey, is limited to 1. It's the same with handmaiden Naboo's. While you can have 2 of the ship, the decoy condition card is limited to 1 ship. So, if your facing 3 aces for example, you can't just put 3 Fearful prey on the 3 aces. You choose one enemy ship for it to go on among the aces, not all three.

swz81_fearsome-predator_cutout.png

swz81_fearful-prey_cutout.png

Edited by 97Starvipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm a bit more sad than mad.

Like, this is just *anything*.  Any offensive token to power the attack.  Every friendly ship can grab a lock, regardless of range to the launcher.  Any range.

Just a little bit of "like, really?" or a bit "I'm just too tired for this."

 

Now, Jango Fett?  Jango I'm mad about, and I'm extra mad since it seems like literally no one else is mad about Jango.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...