Sign in to follow this  
icedbecker2007

TTS Armada Invitational

I am posting this for LargePackage.

Welcome one and all to the Table Top Simulator (not so) Invitational!

With the world being in the new state of being many things have changed, including Star Wars Armada and the Organized Play Scene. This event was originally planned as an invite only tournament that drew from the results of Primes, Major Events and World's. That being said that is no longer the case since they currently do not exist!

This event is meant to simulate a top tier enviroment and the entry conditions are listed below:

Have you won a local store championship?

Have you placed top 4 at a FFG Prime Event?

Have you placed top 8 at a Major Event? (Ex. Nationals, GenCon, Worlds,)

Do you think you have what it takes to play at a competitive level to rival the best?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions this might be the the tournament for you!

This Tournament is currently set to be a 4 Round swiss event with prize support and has a 10$ entry fee.

Check out the Rules, Registration, and Prize Support for more details!

Here is the link to the Tournament website.

https://ttsarmadainvitational.enjin.com/

The Entry fee is purely to cover shipping costs etc. There is 0 Profit.  But if FFG reaches out to me in any way we will change accordingly.

Edited by LargePackage

More Tournaments!  Excellent!  I'm sorry that it's a bit late to offer an automatic VWC qualifier to the winner, but I've got the next best thing!  VWC qualifier standby slot #2!  At least 2 qualified players won't make it, I'm almost sure of it!

Also any game played in the tournament can count for qualifiers to get other standby slots!  Good luck to anyone competing!

I wanted to introduce some additional prize support for the tournament.

Overall, the TTS Armada Invitational Series will be a set of several permanent  competitive TTS tournaments held every year. Ideally, they will take place at a time when in-person tournaments are not prominent. There will be 2-3 tournaments a year with prize support. The first such tournament, the one that has been advertised in this post is the TTS Armada Invitational - Mon Calamari Open.  It will be starting on November 6th. This is the same tournament as this post, just with an additional name for flavor. This will be a yearly tournament.

I hope yall enjoy the prize support and the tournament.  There will be three  Admiral Tater damage decks given to the top three finishers. Additionally, the Mon Calamari tokens will be given randomly to a person as an additional door prize. 

Again the tourney starts Nov. 6.

The picture doesn't do it justice how cool it is.

IMG_4339.PNG

Edited by icedbecker2007

54 minutes ago, icedbecker2007 said:

That's an awful lot of Cataclysm Onagers... with even a few double Onager lists.

Curious that the other thread here kept saying Onagers weren't even that good and were so easily counter-played, yet it looks like it may be the most represented ship here among the "invitational level" players, who all certainly have a pretty good understanding of the competitive game.  And it certainly does not appear to be just a "new hotness" kind of thing, since there are so few Starhawks comparatively.

1 hour ago, EBerling said:

That's an awful lot of Cataclysm Onagers... with even a few double Onager lists.

Curious that the other thread here kept saying Onagers weren't even that good and were so easily counter-played, yet it looks like it may be the most represented ship here among the "invitational level" players, who all certainly have a pretty good understanding of the competitive game.  And it certainly does not appear to be just a "new hotness" kind of thing, since there are so few Starhawks comparatively.

Considering the lack of official competitive events since it's release, the fact that it was part of the latest release, that it features several new and interesting mechanics, and that it isn't by any means a bad ship, I think it's well within reason the Onager is still within the "new hotness" phase. Unfortunately, and part of the reason I'm almost always put off by meta-logic determined by tournament showings, not much can actually be gleaned from this information. A large showing in lists with how irregular this year has been means very little (I'd say doubly so with a ship that has never been seen before in lore and has cool new mechanics), and because of the large showing any results may not be an accurate reflection of the ship itself. 

Sometimes people bring the things they think are cool, even at competitive (or at least semi-competitive in this case, as it lacks the usual motivations for winning) events. 

Time will tell though. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

1 hour ago, EBerling said:

That's a mis-representation of the 'other' thread: the OP claimed Cataclysm was horribly overpowered. People then refuted this, by pointing out that it can be outplayed in several ways and Onagers, whilst powerful, had weaknesses that could be exploited.

Which puts them into the 'good, worth using, but better players than you will still beat you' camp alongside many other ships. A thing called 'balance', perhaps?

Now, if most of these Onager lists end up at the top end of this and subsequent tournaments, then you can say they are 'too good'. And the converse too.

I haven't brought an Onager to this event. I flew one in the previous set of games for a league I'm in. If I'd flown my Nebulons in that, I would probably have used one this time. Variety Etc.