Jarval

Stay Sharp - V-Wing preview live!

mad about collusion detector astromech on jedi with gas clouds, but that's not the v-wing's fault

alarmed about the continuing bomb creep, where we keep getting new bombs that are the same as the old bombs but with more charges and bonus strain

v-wing itself continues to look hype

Oddball with Alpha-3B might actually be good!

Struggling to find out what tarkin will actually do unless ships are objects too, in which case he's not bad but Sync Console was a good enough way for republic to get locks.

Q7 is clearly what all the Jedi aces needed.

Klick is probably pretty nice as a filler defensive ship.

The Esk config looks really bad, hopefully it's 0 points. Otherwise, I see little reason tu run it.

Nevermind, I thought about marksmanship for a second. Still pretty low value, I wouldn't pay for more than 2 points for it

So, for the "Spot the article's mistake" friendly competition, there's at least two:

Article text only mentions changing focus results to hits using configuration, but the configuration also changes blanks.

Article suggests OddBall might find the Ion Limiter Override useful to trigger his ability, but for a long while the principles of the Ability Queue have been FAQ'd to prevent this from happening. 

It is refreshing to see an I5 clone pilot that isn't Odd Ball though we do see him again.

They could have thrown the Rebels a bone with allowing them the new Astros. 

I also do not understand why one would equip the Esk configuration unless it were free. It might have situational uses if you want/need something to be ionized but seems like a waste of crits. 

Not a fan of the "bomb creep" someone mentioned either. 

18 minutes ago, Spinland said:

From the way the description of the generics is phrased, I'm thinking these will be costed so as to be swarm-able.

The stats, dial and actions are pretty close to the Baron of the Empire, so I'd expect it to come in somewhere between that and a TIE/fo. 

1 hour ago, svelok said:

alarmed about the continuing bomb creep, where we keep getting new bombs that are the same as the old bombs but with more charges and bonus strain

How is thermal the same but better of an old bomb? All other 2.0 bombs have auto damage/effect (we aren’t talking mines, because those persist on the field unlike a bomb which is gone without another rule delaying it).

thermal is pretty cool IMO because it has a new use with a less guaranteed result. It doesn’t seem anywhere near as busted as concussions.

I know why FFG is limiting 3-attack ships.  But I so wanted the V-Wing to have 3-attack stat.  In any case, V-Wings look fantatic, especially with Payload and Astromech slots.  Woohoo!

1 hour ago, Npmartian said:

Oddball with Alpha-3B might actually be good!

Right?!  V-Wing might be the first ship that players will fly Oddball.

1 hour ago, svelok said:

mad about collusion detector astromech on jedi with gas clouds, but that's not the v-wing's fault

I'm actually surprised the collision detector Astromech isn't unique.

23 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

The stats, dial and actions are pretty close to the Baron of the Empire, so I'd expect it to come in somewhere between that and a TIE/fo. 

Cool. Yeah, makes sense.

At any rate I just bumped up my pre-order from two to four. I don't think I'd want to run six, not when I could pad the list with a couple of generic Jedis.

25 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

I'm actually surprised the collision detector Astromech isn't unique.

"While you barrel roll or boost, you can move through and overlap obstacles."  It doesn't enable you to ignore the effects like collision detector or the Resistance's R5-X3 so that keeps the Q7 from being limited and hopefully keeps it cheap. 

1 hour ago, PhantomFO said:

That Precision TIE Engine upgrade is very tightly restricted. The list of AG3 TIE-class ships with a speed-3 Koigran is just the Nimbus, classic TIE Fighter (Imperial and Rebel) and the Scum Mining Guild TIE. 

It's speed 1-3 on the card text. Defenders have a red speed 2 Koiogran Turn, so they now have red 2-sloops.

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

I also do not understand why one would equip the Esk configuration unless it were free. It might have situational uses if you want/need something to be ionized but seems like a waste of crits. 

Sometimes ionising an ace is better than doing one shield damage, e.g. Vader.

7 minutes ago, FriendofYoda said:

I like the look of Klick, with the various lock mechanics in Republic being able to deny a die a turn doesn’t seem too hard to set up.

Klick + Synchronized Console is neat.  He gets to deny an opponent a range bonus on some attack (his attack? theirs?), then gets to sling the Lock along to someone else.  Well, as I type it out, it's pretty minor.  But I still like it.

2 hours ago, LeMightyASP said:

The Esk config looks really bad, hopefully it's 0 points. Otherwise, I see little reason tu run it.

Nevermind, I thought about marksmanship for a second. Still pretty low value, I wouldn't pay for more than 2 points for it

I'm a big fan of Gunboat-style multiple free configurations.  If they both can't be free, the cheaper one ought to be, and price the base ship accordingly.

Anyhow, I kinda like it.  It's a way to get a ship some Ion punch, but without going up to 3 full dice on the ICT.  It's also an Ion weapon where the Ion token comes first, not second.  A single crit going through inflicts an Ion token.  It's not the most consistent, but whenever it happens, it'll be a really nice bit of control.

For Besh... I could see that being similarly priced.  On Hit/Crit + Eye/Blank, you'll see a 100% conversion chance instead of a 50% conversion chance, and those make up about 50% of cases on two dice (statistically, it doesn't improve double Eye/Blank combos).  It'll mean 1.75 expected hits on a 2-dice lock attack instead of 1.5 hits.  I'd probably call that equal in value to sometimes forcing an Ion token.

2 hours ago, svelok said:

I'm with you on Concussion Bombs.  Less on on Thermal Detonators.  They've got potentially a bit more punch than Bomblet Generator, but without the non-action, non-disarm reload option.  You've got extra options for placement, but this also means that sometimes you'll just have a half-as-effective bomb round, with a ship not getting hit by both, or simply having only dropped one.  There's nice synergy with Sabine Wren, though.

If it's the same 5 points as Bomblets, that doesn't feel unfair to me.