Sign in to follow this  
player3691565

Making MSU hot again

As a player who has always preferred playing with fleets of small ships ( 5 glads and raiders or CR90s and nebs) and a small speed bump fighter group, I’m hopeful that the new releases will bring me some small ship love.

so any thoughts on what could make all those those sons and daughters of the clonisher great again. 

PS I still love playing them even if they are dog poo competitive at the moment 

Edited by player3691565

MSU is fine for all games except tournament play - it can win plenty of games, just rarely by a large enough margin of victory to reliably place well.

One of the most useful bonuses for playing MSU is going to be the cheaper 28pt version of Commander Leia. She makes CR90s and Nebulons work very well.

I agree MSU is good for 8-16 player 3 round tournaments. Two wins is usually enough to float to the top tables where a third win can take the event. Three 6-5 wins probably isn't enough but getting a few 7-4 or 8-3 wins will be useful. In a three round event with say 24 players though you will need some big wins. MSU can get them but as you will probably take losses as you play is can get tricky. 

Anyway here are two of my favorite Imperial MSU fleets. 

395/400 Most Wanted, Planetary Ion Cannon, Solar Corona
Arquitens CL, Jerjerrod, Needa, TRC, RBDs 91
Arquitens CL, TRC 61
Arquitens CL, TRC 61
GSD-I, Demolisher, ACMs, OE, Brunson 82
Gozanti, Comms Net 25
Gozanti 23
Cienna, Valen, 2 TIE-Int 52

Six ships. If you want a better bid then tone the fighters down to 4 Interceptors and consider a Reserve Hangar on a flotilla. The three Arquitens fly in formation with interlocking TRC fire softening up targets for Demolisher to polish off. 

395/400 Opening Salvo, Hyperspace Assault, Solar Corona
Raider-II, Screed, HIE, D-Caps, Montferrat, Corvus 91
Raider-II, HIE, D-Caps, Titus 62
GSD-I, Demolisher, ACMs, OE, Brunson 82
Raider-I, ACM, OE 55
Raider-I, ACM, OE 55
Gozanti, Comms Net 25
Gozanti 23

For a better bid put Flechette on one raider to turn off some fighters for a turn, or switch some ACMs for APTs (though I do like the way ACMs synergize with the softening up HIEs do to a target). 

Edited by Mad Cat

its dumb and simple but it has worked for me.

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• General Rieekan (30)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 74 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
= 18 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 400

9 activations lets you last with at least 3 ships letting you set up a kill pocket for your opponent to move into. SW-5 make damage 100% so double arc con fire will always deliver 6 damage and if you set up good kill zone that your opponent has to fly into well the ship is toast, its weird simple fun, and really embraces what MSU is all about outwait your opponent pile on small amounts of damage and watch stuff die. 

20 minutes ago, xero989 said:

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• General Rieekan (30)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 74 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

= 18 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

9 activations lets you last with at least 3 ships letting you set up a kill pocket for your opponent to move into. SW-5 make damage 100% so double arc con fire will always deliver 6 damage and if you set up good kill zone that your opponent has to fly into well the ship is toast, its weird simple fun, and really embraces what MSU is all about outwait your opponent pile on small amounts of damage and watch stuff die. 

Now to buy 5 more CR90s

6 hours ago, xero989 said:

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• General Rieekan (30)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 74 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
= 44 Points

= 18 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

I have always loved the CR90B withSW7. It’s surprising how much impact it can have on your opposition especially if you have it in  a refused flank position, they know it’s actual got a significant and unpredictable threat range ( a navigate token and single dial allow for instant changes in posture) with a guaranteed not insignificant damage output.

10 hours ago, player3691565 said:

I will up your 6 CR90s and bid you 6 neb Bs. I did play 6 neb list, it was unfortunately rubbish...6 CR90s I’d far better.

5 Nebulons (TRC, Aux Shield Team) plus Jaina's Light CR90 with TRC and Leia on board works pretty well.

I made 8th at a 20+ player Prime with that list - the only real life event I've attended so far, due to Covid.

1 hour ago, geek19 said:

What's a star trek?

I think the Mandalorian is on some kind of Star Trek. He's certainly trekking through the stars to find baby Yoda's home, or something. We'll know more about his Star Trek on Oct. 30th.