Sciencius

Push The Limit, Eta-2

32 minutes ago, xanatos135 said:

And what about Eta-2 Anakin with the new R2? Can you get rid of the deplete using his ability or not?

If a faq will not come out you will be able to get rid of the deplete next round after any maneuver that place yourself into range 1. 

39 minutes ago, xanatos135 said:

I just realized Shaak Ti works on herself. It costs her virtually nothing to come to the combat in the second turn with an extra focus or evade. 

She's going to be reeally good.

I really like it when middle initiative pilots get great abilities.  1st edition had too many ships where the highest pilot skill pilot had the best ability.  Depending on points I could see myself running any of these pilots which is crazy.

I continue to maintain that if the objective of the game were anything other than "Stay alive as long as possible and kill something if you can by the way," non-engagement would not be an issue.

As it is there's far too much in-game reward for disengaging, fortressing, regen, plinking damage and running to time, etc.

Honestly Regen could be cheap if it didn't amount to "Points preserved." Shield regen is a pretty fundamentally normal thing in SW lore, as are ship repairs through astromechs etc. They become problematic in the game because they erase your accomplishment of the only game objective of "kill stuff" which thematically doesn't even make sense for many of the characters involved (when do we ever see Yoda just "Kill stuff?").

I like the model that Marvel: Crisis Protocol uses. You get points for dazing or knocking out characters, but you get a lot more points for objectives that can range from "Guard this" to "bring this back to your base," and any given game has not one but two different objectives going on at once. This sets up a definite arc to the game, keeps the time focused and limited, and gives you something definite to engage over that also helps shape the story the game tells. Story is just such an important part of game design and it's totally absent from 200-6 X-Wing tournament play, which just makes me so sad.

4 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I continue to maintain that if the objective of the game were anything other than "Stay alive as long as possible and kill something if you can by the way," non-engagement would not be an issue.(..) Story is just such an important part of game design and it's totally absent from 200-6 X-Wing tournament play, which just makes me so sad.

Same. 

Also, official coop play would be awesome.

The environment cards are at least some step, but they are really uneven, pity.

That is also a problem with objectives. They would have to be designed in a way which does not over-reward bringing only fast interceptors, being able to race to mission objectives before anyone else is there. Objectives should be balanced  requiring bringing a mixed squad with several roles. Objective play would also make the generalists like T65, Kihraxz and 22W Bulbs shine!

I am curious what they plan with keywords (balanced mission pack, aka e.g. Battle of Scarif, please!,) and with the Solo rules.

29 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

Same. 

Also, official coop play would be awesome.

The environment cards are at least some step, but they are really uneven, pity.

That is also a problem with objectives. They would have to be designed in a way which does not over-reward bringing only fast interceptors, being able to race to mission objectives before anyone else is there. Objectives should be balanced  requiring bringing a mixed squad with several roles. Objective play would also make the generalists like T65, Kihraxz and 22W Bulbs shine!

I am curious what they plan with keywords (balanced mission pack, aka e.g. Battle of Scarif, please!,) and with the Solo rules.

Not official, or perfect for that matter, but an interesting idea might be to use the Solo Play "AI" for one side of one of the smaller multiplayer Epic Battles scenarios and have the players be allied. The Solo Play rules are in their second iteration iirc.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/2d/6d/2d6d1669-5a0d-4a05-b022-5cf09c937655/x-wing-solorules_openalpha-compressed_v2.pdf

11 hours ago, xanatos135 said:

And what about Eta-2 Anakin with the new R2? Can you get rid of the deplete using his ability or not?

Why couldn’t you? Ani gets rid of red tokens. Deplete/strain/stress are all red tokens. Ion is too. It’s the reason why FFG went this route so they could use simple terms to classify tokens without having to get wordy on ship cards. 

Edited by Archangelspiv

I thought crew Yoda looked stupid, but I think people are really short-selling Pilot Yoda. 

First off you get 3 force charges instead of 2, and the ability is going to be way cheaper as a pilot ability than as a crew card. What I mean by that is that the pilot ability isn't going to cost 17 points over the generic ETA II the way it costs 17 points to put Yoda on a Y-Wing or ARC or whatever, because you're not paying for 2 Force tokens on top of the ability like you are with the crew card. 

If Yoda pilot is costed correctly, he will be a nice little Force battery for other Force abilities in a list, especially Delta 7Bs.

9 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

Why couldn’t you? Ani gets rid of red tokens. Deplete/strain/stress are all red tokens. Ion is too. It’s the reason why FFG went this route so they could use simple terms to classify tokens without having to get wordy on ship cards. 

Because Anakin's ability works after you perform a maneuver, while R2-D2 gives you a deplete token after you activate. Is that the same moment? I'm not sure. 

What I meant is: can Anakin get rid of the token the same turn he gets it

Edited by xanatos135

21 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Not official, or perfect for that matter, but an interesting idea might be to use the Solo Play "AI" for one side of one of the smaller multiplayer Epic Battles scenarios and have the players be allied. The Solo Play rules are in their second iteration iirc.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/2d/6d/2d6d1669-5a0d-4a05-b022-5cf09c937655/x-wing-solorules_openalpha-compressed_v2.pdf

That kind of battle is exactly what we already do in the family. 1-3 of the kids together with me, as allied force against some AI steered enemy force (we've dome both HotAc 1st and 2nd ed AI, FFG 0.1 Solo and Heaver-modded FFG 0.1 Solo AI). Cooperative effort, bonding fun, family time.

Would be nice though, to have something official as well.

We have done e.g. some shuttle disable mission and defending pirate base against Imperial taskforce with Gozanti, mercenaries attacking a Raider. Otherwise deathmatches.  Testing one of the scenarios from the Epic box that way we still have to come around to, but now with summer over more time for indoor activities...have to try this.

22 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

Between the new Hyperspace upgrade type, and the Structures addition, I'm guessing the next Epic box will have a Scariff mission. The first one kinda had one in a way really.

So if they aren't blind, they'll deploy the garrison?

We're still looking for article errors, right? The Obi-Wan player apparently doesn't know how to perform talon rolls/cheats but moved ahead to the Extreme Maneuvering boost so the droid player will never notice.

swz79_a1_diagram.jpg

Look at that, not only not flush, but shifted somewheres between the mid-roll and the roll forward.

26 minutes ago, reqent said:

I just hope its separatists I like it better when they alternate between factions.  Personally I hope its tri fighters because they are in the battle with the eta-2's

This is fair, but I also really want to see the V-Wing, maybe scope out what the other config is.

For Jango, we know what the Firespray is, even if there are new upgrades.  Tri-Fighter will have cool stuff to be sure (pilot abilities and missiles maybe), but we've seen the basic ship text and dial.  I don't think there's major secrets.  Other than points, we know a lot of what we'd need to know about these ships.

Right now, the V-Wing is basically just a Torrent that moves a little better, nothing more.  1st config has bombs which is sweet, but all it does is have slightly-better-target-locks.  The 2nd config might show something different, and has potential to really shake things up.  It could substantially change what we think we know about the ship.

Edited by theBitterFig

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

This is fair, but I also really want to see the V-Wing, maybe scope out what the other config is.

For Jango, we know what the Firespray is, even if there are new upgrades.  Tri-Fighter will have cool stuff to be sure (pilot abilities and missiles maybe), but we've seen the basic ship text and dial.  I don't think there's major secrets.  Other than points, we know a lot of what we'd need to know about these ships.

Right now, the V-Wing is basically just a Torrent that moves a little better, nothing more.  1st config has bombs which is sweet, but all it does is have slightly-better-target-locks.  The 2nd config might show something different, and has potential to really shake things up.  It could substantially change what we think we know about the ship.

Yeah, the only thing I want to know from Jango's is the text on Zam Wessel's conditions and whatever that face down illicit is.

Tri-Fighter would be my guess to rotate the factions, and I do want to know the pilot abilities, what the other side of the booster is, and how Thread Tracers now work.

But I'm with you Fig, the V-wing has the most unknowns: the other config, 1 maybe 2 astromechs, Twin Ion Engines, and Thermal Detonators. We know what the detonators do from the RR, but there is a wall o' text on them, so perhaps there is still more to learn.

20 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

We know what the detonators do from the RR, but there is a wall o' text on them, so perhaps there is still more to learn.

My theory is that you can drop multiples in a round.  Maybe all of them, maybe two.

4 minutes ago, reqent said:

The v wing is definitely the wild card of the wave.  They need to differentiate it from the torrent and I assume the eventual z95.  

Could always go 3 red dice for the Clone z95 (or two with a built-in conditional 3rd die).  Like, a small base with 3/2/2/2 would be pretty interesting, and would certainly be quite different from the existing ones.  Clone Zs seem bigger than later ones, and representing that in the attack dice would be spicy.