Sign in to follow this  
Sm00thB0r3

Hera attack shuttle or Airen

What are people’s thoughts on these two ships? They have similar stats and dials, priced roughly the same and are both i5. Is Hera with a dorsal turret better than Airen with missiles of some sort?

I'd be partial to Hera for a few reasons.

1. 3 dice primary. Airen isn't all that lethal without missiles, and an expensive Z-95 isn't really what you want considering his ability can make him a target quick.

2. Abilities. They're in different roles for sure, but Hera's pretty shifty with being able to move her dial around a bit. Airen's pseudo-coordinate, while nice, is pretty limited in range, and the stress is a bit of a tough sell considering that most rebel ships don't have the world's best blues and that AP-5 exists, who gives real coordinate for cheaper.

The more I think about it, the issue with a lot of rebel support ships is just "yeah, but why not AP-5?" Dude's really good, dirt cheap, and even gets a better coordinate than normal.

Rebel's problem is that they all do the same thing, so one is the best and the others may as well not exist

However, Jake is probably the only ship that can compete with AP-5, by virtue of the fact he has a better chassis and is more self-sufficient when he needs to be

Edited by Roller of blanks

13 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

Hera is a cheaper Duchess and is most likely overlooked.

Airen is a limited I5 coordinate and is definitely overlooked.

Airen is actually better than I5 coordinate, since it happens in the engagement phase will perfect info.

The problem is 

A. It's only range one

B. It's red

C. It's in a Z-95, which makes A & B even worse. 

Airen has no business being more than AP-5. He should be 28-30 points, considering he's in an objectively worse chassis, and his initiative is not much of a factor because, say it with me kids! 

IT'S.  A. Z. 95.

Hera is definitely really good though, I use her often as a cheap 3 dice initiative killer with suprisingly good flank power. As you said, a mini duchess.

9 hours ago, Roller of blanks said:

Airen has no business being more than AP-5. He should be 28-30 points, considering he's in an objectively worse chassis, and his initiative is not much of a factor because, say it with me kids! 

IT'S.  A. Z. 95.

No doubt he should be a little cheaper, as Jake Farrell is the same cost. 30 points would be a bit much of a drop.

I think he is overlooked in that his "coordinate" is about as late as you can get. Put him next to Dutch Vander to pass out two locks after every ship has hit it's final position. Opponents that thought they were safe from Dutch's and another Y's torps because they both took a focus are now eating two fully modded torps that get their pick of target.

21 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

No doubt he should be a little cheaper, as Jake Farrell is the same cost. 30 points would be a bit much of a drop.

I think he is overlooked in that his "coordinate" is about as late as you can get. Put him next to Dutch Vander to pass out two locks after every ship has hit it's final position. Opponents that thought they were safe from Dutch's and another Y's torps because they both took a focus are now eating two fully modded torps that get their pick of target.

But then you reach the classic Rebel issue of your entire list being built around one synergy, centered on low to mid-agility ships that are easy to take out. Either Dutch or Airen probably goes down first or second round of combat, and then you're stuck with expensive toys (torps, etc.) that don't carry the weight they need to.

I did a rebel list back in the day with 2 fully modded I6 Y wing Torps and Airen made it possible. But even then and with a Hull Upgrade,he burned down real fast. The goal was to set up an endgame with Wedge and at least one of the Y Wings. Went 4-0 at a kit tournament with it in Wave 1 and didn't fly it again.

I'd imagine that the meta is both mobile and tanky enough to disregard it