Sign in to follow this  
Archangelspiv

Are LAAT's too expensive to fly with named Jedi?

34 minutes ago, Pa Weasley said:

That's correct on how it works with CLT, though my carrier choice is a Red Squadron Bomber with a dorsal turret.  Only 40 points, better arc coverage, and I don't feel bad slapping a two die attack ship with a weapons disabled token every turn.  

Your choice is a lot better, I like it. 

I want to get Sense in there, might drop the 3 Astro’s. I just love them on Aethersprites, can cut all the funky moves. 

New Squadron

(49) Obi-Wan Kenobi [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(2) R4 Astromech
(4) Calibrated Laser Targeting

(45) Plo Koon [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(2) R4 Astromech
(4) Calibrated Laser Targeting

(25) Gold Squadron Trooper [V-19 Torrent Starfighter]

(25) Gold Squadron Trooper [V-19 Torrent Starfighter]

(29) Red Squadron Bomber [BTL-B Y-wing]
(2) R4 Astromech
(9) Seventh Fleet Gunner
(2) Dorsal Turret

Total points: 198

Edited by Archangelspiv

11 hours ago, xanatos135 said:

Don't you think it just hurts a bit to never mod at all your attacks with a 3 dice primary? If you reinforce all the time with the ARC. 

On the other hand, you could use the force point and reinforce only from time to time I guess, but I think that Aayla is much better for a support ship, it allows the ARC to still punch hard while helping your other ships. That would be 58 for a generic ARC, similar to a LAAT with 7th fleet gunner. 

I put him either on Wolfe or Jag, as @5050Saint has noticed they generate their own mods.

You can fit "Jag" with 7B Ani and CLT Obi in a squad. "Wolfe" as well if you are fine with 1 point bid. A funny alternative I was considering is to fly "Wolfe"/"Jag" with Aayla Secura on board and C1-10P+Sense CLT Plo and 7B Obi. It can hurt like quite a lot.

18 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

As for removing the ability with a different card, well, kinda late now.

Hopefully, it's not too late to set the named pilots with certains available upgrades, and other named pilots with other available upgrades. As with the hyenas and the HMPs.

And as with the delta-1, you can change some stats with a config (1 attack die and 2 defense for the shuttle config ? ).

Nothing lost, and you don't have to change the nature of the chassis.

Edited by Silver_leader

@Silver_leader like I said, it's ultimately doable. But it's going to take some serious work to get it to work right. And if they 'screwed it up' that badly in the first place, I'm waiting with bated breath to see the solution if they even bother to try. I realize I'm in the minority on this. Most people are perfectly content it seems to spend money and points on an *notshipcough* upgrade/upgrade carrier that only serves to at best help Jedi that we've been complaining about for months anyway 😑🙄 Chances of them thinking there's something wrong with it are closer to nil.

It seems much of the Republic faction identity is going to be to actively force a player to take a combined-arms-to-support-Jedi approach. As opposed to other factions which have options for combined arms OR singular ship focus lists as the player may desire. This forced decision making is the only thing that puts many of the factions design elements into sensible focus like N-1(AKA Ric), ARC, the incestuous nature of many Jedi cards, and now of course the LAAT. So if that is in fact the design goal, they'll pat themselves on the back with glee, mission accomplished, and that's how this story ends. C'est la vie.

Finally played a couple games with the LAAT today. Not enough for any conclusion ofc, but positive signs.

Used Delta Plo and 7FG in both, which is a killer combo if you ask me.

1st with a 212th, Wolffe and Broadside against 5 heroptic A's. My ineptitude turned it into an utter disaster and left me with little to surmise on the offense or the various mechanics. But the list made it to time, just, Wolffe going down on the bell. So I was pleased with the durability.... Did manage to remove an A Wing with 4 dice from Wolffes aft, so that was nice.

2nd with Warthog and 2x Foresight Knights, against Rey, Tallie, Zizi with 2x Procket was way better. Bizarrely, Warthog was the lone survivor at the end, on 1hp. 

Fire Convergence, 7FG, Plo and a choice of CLT was dynamite. With a reinforced, and occasionally bumped LAAT, the squishier knights provided distracting targets. Warthogs ability ensuring they get to shoot seemed pretty clutch. The flex that Plo provides is so good. Against 3 ships moving last, the choice of where to put the disarm is really neat. At one point, it allowed the LAAT to put 3 hits into Zizi, while Plo tanked a shot into 4ag and focus, having failed to land his arc.

The extra tilt of being able to block with one Jedi and set up another to both Foresight and fire a boosted CLT was a very nice tool to work with. Missed it by a hair on a couple of occasions.

All in all, the list was a blast to fly. A fair amount to keep track of, but strong rewards for getting things just so.

Foresight on a knight is a bit... hrrrm. Losing your repo to keep it open feels like an even trade and therefore a bit of a waste of 8pt. I may try it more, I may think of something else.... It did generate 3 or 4 extra damage, even while running into a decent handful of nattie evades.

But stress and the LAAT do not get on. The rotate is important, the oppo knowing where its arc will be is almost crippling. Crits are a pain, Damaged engine and Panicked landing in the same turn could have scuppered it, but the LAAT powered R1 CLT turned it's resultant long pointless meander into a tactical retreat. Ultimately just about earning a win, after some lazy decisions with Plo and a Knight vs a halved Rey saw them killed, nearly costing me the game.

(I decided, on a whim, because I could, to lock Rey with the Knight and have Plo throw over a focus. So the Knight threw 2 double modded dice into a R3 Rey, while she killed Plo. I never even used the lock at all)

LAAT was great value in that game, but I can see it losing a lot, quickly, in beefier, swarmier match ups. Though if that turns the 3 Jedi into proper aces, it still might be Ok.

In any case, I will definitely be running the Hog Knights again, so I guess I'll see.

Aaand I just realised this is the named Jedi thread. Well whatever, Plo works. Lumi and Barris fit instead and Warthog at least works on himself. So maybe I'll try that.

Edited by Cuz05