Spinland

Down the purple rabbit hole I go

So, Republic was not one of the factions on my list to be able to play. Was not.

I already had an ARC-170, but I'd bought it to go with the Rebel cardboard from the conversion kit I bought (used 1.0 ARCs are crazy expensive for some reason, often more than just getting a new 2.0 one). Today my LAAT arrived, and I just placed an order with my local supplier for a Guardians set, another ARC, an extra Aethersprite, and a Republic-flavored Y-Wing. 

That seems to me to be a solid foundation for fielding some Purple Power. 😎🍺

(In related news my two HMPs also arrived today, so I now have the Synced Laser Cannon cards to bedeck my pair of B-Wings or Iggy Ships. Now for in-person gaming to start back up.)

17 minutes ago, Target_2.0 said:

I find plenty of options to play with using my collection (2 Republic ARCs, 1 Rebel ARC, 2 Guardians, 1 Y, 1 Delta blister).  I'll pick up a LAAT at some point and maybe an N1. 

I'm on the fence about the N1s. I'll probably eventually cave and pick up one or two.

2 hours ago, Spinland said:

I'm on the fence about the N1s. I'll probably eventually cave and pick up one or two.

1 hour ago, Target_2.0 said:

I told myself that I'd stick with clones and Jedi.  So far so good. 

However, my local group occasionally plays Aces High at 50 points which makes Ric awful tempting....

One is definitely worthwhile. Ric is strong and Baby Anakin is amazing.

10 hours ago, DR4CO said:

One is definitely worthwhile. Ric is strong and Baby Anakin is amazing.

Solid points. I'll bump up the probability of my ordering at least one.

In other news, I also just pre-ordered a pair of V-wings, Guess I'm into a fourth faction for good. Not bad for having (yet) never actually played the game. 🤪

I really don't use the N-1 a lot, I'm not sure you'd miss it. It's a weird thing to fly. But as said, Ric and Ani can be pretty fun. The latter can be turned into something ridiculous, if you spend an unwise amount of points on him. Ric going up has diminished his level of auto-include for certain types of list.

My essentials are 3x Delta, 2× Y Wing, 2x ARC and now 1x LAAT. And all the new things on the way ofc. Particularly the V Wing, which I'll likely never have as many of as I'd like.

But obviously, you can't help but have Torrents. I've never flown my pair though, I find them a bit dull and unbeautiful.

I saw the V-Wings as cool new schmexy gotta-haves; not as into the Eta-2, though.

From my initial reading the biggest hook for them seems to be the scum-esque set up almost anywhere on the board aspect. I'm not yet learned enough in the ways of setup and opening moves to appreciate why I'd want that, so I'll probably relegate that ship to the get-after-the-smoke-clears down the road.

11 hours ago, Sm00thB0r3 said:

The N1s are speedy bois that are fun to play but they do suffer in the fact that they have pretty terrible time on target. Ric is really bad for it, so if I have him in a squad, it’s usually with ships that have better TOT (Y-Wings, ARCs and now LAAT/i).

Daredevil with an R4-P is a four point investment and go a long way toward mitigating the time on target issue of the N-1.  Ani effectively pulling a K-turn while packing an evade, force and having almost the entire dial to remove the stress is a thing of beauty.  

12 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

A friend of mine had a huge collection for years before playing, because he liked the models.

Definitely guilty.

I like the cards, too. I was heavily into the tournament scene for Decipher's SWCCG when it was big, still have an insane collection of cards boxed away. There's (for me) a kind of Zen in relaxing over sorting and sleeving cards and organizing binders. I imagine I'm Scrooge McDuck chuckling over counting my piles of gold coins. 🤓

Edited by Spinland
Department of Redundancy, Department

I never intended to get into the prequel factions, but I bought the rep arc to use as a second reb arc. 

Then I got the Ywing because I like the model and, wth, I might as well use as a reb Ywing, too. 

Then I got the N1 because I like the model. 

Then I pre-ordered the Eta because the model with the ring is really cool and, wth, might as well get the delta and the vwing, because they both fit the ring, too. 

And now I've got enough ships to build a weird, ragtag rep fleet. I'm OK with that. Still not touching seps, tho. 

7 minutes ago, takfar said:

Still not touching seps, tho. 

Yeah; they're at the bottom of my personal interest list. The theme and the mechanics that seem to be their main flavor just leave me wanting.

If I want a lot of mech stuff I can turn to my scummy BroBots. 😎🍺

Edited by Spinland

6 minutes ago, Spinland said:

Yeah; they're at the bottom of my personal interest list. The theme and the mechanics that seem to be their main flavor just leave me wanting.

If I want a lot of mech stuff I can turn to my scummy BroBots. 😎🍺

All true, and I'm also not super excited about how their ships look. I've always had a thing for the design on rebel ships (which is clearly reflected on republic/resistance), and the imperial ships look OK, too (star wing and star destroyer are awesome), but the separatists just don't hit it for me. 

52 minutes ago, Spinland said:

Definitely guilty.

I like the cards, too. I was heavily into the tournament scene for Decipher's SWCCG when it was big, still have an insane collection of cards boxed away. There's (for me) a kind of Zen in relaxing over sorting and sleeving cards and organizing binders. I imagine I'm Scrooge McDuck chuckling over counting my piles of gold coins. 🤓

Sorting CCG cards is one of the most relaxing things in existence.  For me, at least.

Also, welcome to the Republic. I've been enjoying flying them a lot more than Rebels recently.

Edited by necklessone
Typos....

15 hours ago, Sm00thB0r3 said:

The N1s are speedy bois that are fun to play but they do suffer in the fact that they have pretty terrible time on target. Ric is really bad for it, so if I have him in a squad, it’s usually with ships that have better TOT (Y-Wings, ARCs and now LAAT/i).

Plasma Torps & Regen all the way, baby. 

Not saying its good. 

Just...

It's in the expansion. 

And it makes sense. 

And it's hit and run Rebels done cheaper and faster and better. 

So. 

Yeah. Maybe a pair of 'em with that new "I don't die until I shoot" LAAT.

1 hour ago, Spinland said:

Regen from a generic R2 unit? 

Checking to make sure I’m not overlooking some cool synergy. 🍺😎

Yep.  There's not technically a synergy, it just works well together.  N-1 often pull 3-speeds and wind up pointing the wrong way, so can easily just disarm for the shield.  Plus, with Full Throttle, it's a pain to deal them enough damage to kill them.

One of my early (no longer points viable) Republic squads (OK, not amazing) was Ric, N-1 Ani, 2 Torrents, and an ARC, and it was built along the premise that nothing was worth shooting at.  The two N-1 were both under 50 points and had R2 regen, and the ARC even had an R5.  I guess it still mostly all fits, maybe not with all the old toys.

Edited by theBitterFig

4 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

One's plenty to start, and I can't imagine needing more than 2.

Yeah; the only case I could see for three would be a Padme/Handmaiden list and, frankly, that struck me as too fiddly and involved for too little gain.