Boom Owl

i2 Torrent vs i2 Fireball

In a vaccum, I think the fireball is better, but the torrents are much better in their faction. The republic faction has great force multipliers, so torrents have better swarms, and republic aces often need some cheap, reliable blockers more than Resistance aces do.

Resistance doesn't really need fireballs in their arsenal. They don't have true force multipliers, their aces don't really need support, and they can usually substitute a fireball for rose pod for better results 

What @Roller of blanks said: Good is highly contextual, and in the context of their factions the torrent is MUCH stronger than the Fireball, even though the Fireball is probably the superior individual ship.

Its sorta like how TIE Zeb despite costing 1 point less than the Obsidian Squad TIE with a useful ability and the same initiative is worse, because the Rebel faction is just kinda in a terrible spot overall doesn't have the tools that Empire has to make a highly agile and evasive 2 dice 3 health ship on a shoestring budget punch above its weight.

Doesn't mean the Fireball is terrible though. While factions are defined by their 'chase' elements, the non-chase elements can be good as long as they provide some useful functionality, which the Fireball does. Main issue is that the meta has been super unkind to this kind of ship for a very long time, more than either ship being terrible, first because of Boba-meta and how defensively strong the top aces list was which made even a 'pseudo double modded' 2 dice attack not good enough, and now because of the Nantex just can out-joust this swarm due to I-kill potential and the fact the Nantex can 'joust without jousting' and suddenly become a 6 ace list against I 1 and 2 swarms.

Edited by dezzmont

Problem of the Fireball in Resistance is, you can just use an RZ-2 for a better on target time and more or less the same role of a blocker. Better in fact as its I1. If you can afford the 6 additional points, that is. Otherwise you have the Pod to do the thing. Republic has no alternative low cost blocers, so a Torrent will always serve the faction in this role.

i2 TIE AGGRESSOR!

imperial-tie-aggressor-600px.gif

*e*

If I'm limited to the choices, Torrent, but only because it fits better into the faction.  Fireball is sweet, does cooler things, etc etc.  If either Resistance or Republic got a choice of ship, it'd be better to choose Fireball, but 'Torrent in Republic' > 'Fireball in Resistance'.

Edited by theBitterFig

Well if we are looking at the ships in isolation with no upgrades?

The dials on the two of them are fairly comparable, as is the HP. The fireball lacks the lock action but gains the SLAM. The Torrent has a nice linked BR-evade to help it out however and is a point cheaper. 

Without upgrades I might have to give it to the Torrent. The SLAM works well for blocking and flanking but the fireball doesn't have great enough firepower to really capitalise on that anyway.

With upgrades the Fireball has a tone more options over the Torrent. R4 astro opens up the dial completely for instance and some of the other weakness can be sured up if you want to spend the points.

However out of isolation is the issue! The Resistance as a faction has no good way of supporting the generic Fireballs in any kind of swarm. It has no AOE effects to help modifications and lacks any self efficient support ships either. If you want the fireballs to be efficient you have to spend points on them individually and at that stage they are costing the same as generic A-wings. We all know there is no contest between those two ships. Plus if I'm looking for cheap filler I pick Rose, same cost but more consistent on attack and defence.

The Torrents simply have more support to be good in thier faction. Sinker, the LaaT's or some of the crew card make groups of these far more effective for cheaper.

12 hours ago, KCDodger said:

I like strapping explosives to every Fireball I field.

You don't tell the pilots, right? 

Just let 'em try their best and then... "Oooo...yikes, that was a big boom on Orange 4. FO must be using some secret new ordinance or something. Oh well. Everyone else, stay tight...I mean...uh...scatter. 

On 10/1/2020 at 1:17 AM, dezzmont said:

Sounds super redundant. 🤓

Just maximizing its  attributes!

On 10/1/2020 at 11:04 AM, Bucknife said:

You don't tell the pilots, right? 

Just let 'em try their best and then... "Oooo...yikes, that was a big boom on Orange 4. FO must be using some secret new ordinance or something. Oh well. Everyone else, stay tight...I mean...uh...scatter. 

It's a manufacturing defect I swear!

2 hours ago, Spinland said:

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Explosion with Wings. 

Join the most exciting squadron in the Resistance! 

Demo Squadron now accepting qualified applicants... 

*Must be able to lift at least 5kg

*Must have at least 1 steering limb or bionic equivalent.

*Must have at least one working eye or bionic equivalent.

***Demo Squadron is an equal opportunity employer; we do not discriminate based on gender, age, race, criminal records, previous experience, mental disabilities or any other preexisting conditions.