Sign in to follow this  
Harraitmsp

Untouchable Space Marines

Ultramarines have a chapter power that heals: Glory of the Emperor.  Seems to be the only one, kind of strange.  Guess people need to push others to be an Ultramarine librarian, heh.

It is an AOE that heals a number of allies equal to his PR out to 10 x PR meters for wounds equal to PR.  Does not heal critical damage, and librarian can only do it a number of times per day equal to his WB.

Suijin said:

Ultramarines have a chapter power that heals: Glory of the Emperor.  Seems to be the only one, kind of strange.  Guess people need to push others to be an Ultramarine librarian, heh.

It is an AOE that heals a number of allies equal to his PR out to 10 x PR meters for wounds equal to PR.  Does not heal critical damage, and librarian can only do it a number of times per day equal to his WB.

Ah and is rank 5, 2000 exp.  So kind of a final great power.

Harraitmsp said:

One of my players wants to make an untouchable marine(with the game not even out yet!).  I've never seen any in lore for such a thing and while I can say the chapter librarians would be none too pleased with something that could very well be tainted, the black templars present a small problem, what with the whole no librarian things and all.  Anyone know any good reasons for or against such an idea?  I just hate the whole "special snowflake" idea of a untouchable marine.  My idea is that the untouchable gene doesn't go well with the organ implantation process, etc.

Any thoughts?

I would think they would be weeded out of any chapter during ther selection process. Black Templars don't have any Librarians, but any other chapter would expose the candidate to a whole battery of psy testing. I don't think they would take a chance on someone they can't read. Even if they didn't, being a blank means everyone would hate being around them.

BaronIveagh said:

@Alex: And the lower thier profit's get, the more they'll discuss it.   I'm told that the major stumbling block is that JJ is opposed to it.

While I disagree that they are an inevitability, it wouldn't matter if Jervis was against it - if the higher ups wanted it, it would happen. The studio wanted Daemons in the Chaos Codex. The higher ups wanted to remove Daemons and make them a separate army. The hopeless 'Generic Daemons' that now infest the Chaos Marine Codex were the only compromise that the writers of that Codex could get.

So if they want female Marines, they'll make them - doesn't matter what the studio wants.

BYE

H.B.M.C. said:

BaronIveagh said:

@Alex: And the lower thier profit's get, the more they'll discuss it.   I'm told that the major stumbling block is that JJ is opposed to it.

While I disagree that they are an inevitability, it wouldn't matter if Jervis was against it - if the higher ups wanted it, it would happen. The studio wanted Daemons in the Chaos Codex. The higher ups wanted to remove Daemons and make them a separate army. The hopeless 'Generic Daemons' that now infest the Chaos Marine Codex were the only compromise that the writers of that Codex could get.

So if they want female Marines, they'll make them - doesn't matter what the studio wants.

BYE

Not to mention that on this forum those who strongly oppose FSM (and when it comes to officially changing the world you can count me in) seem to outnumber those who are strongly in favour of them, it seems to be a net loss. No matter what BaronIveagh claims about the numbers.

Alex

In my DIY Chapter, the Guardian Angels, I have a few untouchables.
These individuals are called "The Brothers of Silence" and are generally viewed with ave and a watchful eye within the Chapter.
The back-story for this is that the Guardian Angels adhere completely to the Emperor's Decree from the Council of Nikaea, that no Space Marine Chapter use Librarians or non-sanctioned psychers.

So no psychers are allowed, but the Chapter still needs some sort of way to root out psychers, to battle psychics or warp energy, or to protect themselves from outside psychers that come visiting, like Inquisitor Lords for example. So over the years the Chapter has acquired a few Untouchables that stay in the Silensium and are only brought out when needed.

The Emperor clearly forbade all use of Librarians, but not Psychic nulls, so in a way they are the Chapter's equivalent of a psycher.
this sort of back-story in not something that would often be found in the Imperium, and as far as I know, my DIY Chapter were the first to introduce this idea. - It is controversial and somewhat improbable, but not impossible.

As for female marines.
If you follow the official background, then: No, definitively not!
If you just want to go your own way though, then sure.
There are however other ways of introducing females to a Marine Chapter than making them Female Marines and I believe the Adepta Soraritas are the perfect army for those that want female "marines" anyway.

Chaptermaster Metatron said:

These individuals are called "The Brothers of Silence" and are generally viewed with ave and a watchful eye within the Chapter.
The back-story for this is that the Guardian Angels adhere completely to the Emperor's Decree from the Council of Nikaea, that no Space Marine Chapter use Librarians or non-sanctioned psychers.

See - that's great. That's a realistic use for Untouchables in a Marine Chapter. It makes sense within the fluff, and works logically given the way Marines are set up.

Well thought out. gui%C3%B1o.gif

BYE

So no psychers are allowed, but the Chapter still needs some sort of way to root out psychers, to battle psychics or warp energy, or to protect themselves from outside psychers that come visiting, like Inquisitor Lords for example. So over the years the Chapter has acquired a few Untouchables that stay in the Silensium and are only brought out when needed.

The Emperor clearly forbade all use of Librarians, but not Psychic nulls, so in a way they are the Chapter's equivalent of a psycher.
this sort of back-story in not something that would often be found in the Imperium, and as far as I know, my DIY Chapter were the first to introduce this idea. - It is controversial and somewhat improbable, but not impossible.

As for female marines.
If you follow the official background, then: No, definitively not!
If you just want to go your own way though, then sure.
There are however other ways of introducing females to a Marine Chapter than making them Female Marines and I believe the Adepta Soraritas are the perfect army for those that want female "marines" anyway.

I like this alot. And I see how it would work in the RPG (let a space marine character purchase the talent) but do you use it in Table Top/Wargame? How to you represnet your Untouchables? As Librarians who dont use thier powers? But with Psychic Hoods?

I introduced this background into my DIY on  February 25. 2005 , and so far they have only been used for background materiel and stories.
I do have models planned and yes, Librarians without powers, but with Psychic Hoods is one way I've thought of representing them. Another way is simply to use Culexus Assassins by another name, but as I still haven't used the Silensium in any games, I have no concrete rules.

I worked on an untouchable Marine in the tabletop even before Deathwatch was announced. And it can work, it just depends on the chapter, how it is connected to other imperial organizations  what superstitions and beliefs they have etc.

And I don't get why people claim that an untouchable marine would be too strong. They lose all the benefits a librarian in the squad could provide, in fact if for any reason they have to be in one kill-team with a librarian they have to keep their distance from the rest of the squad making them easier targets. And in the fight against psykers and demon cults they are helpful but also prime targets. Personally I would allow enemy psykers to recognize with a test which of the marines they can see but not feel through the warp and direct their underlings to attack them. A plasma cannon can still kill them. And of course psykers can still indirectly affect nulls.

What I'm interested in is what implants they couldn't use. I guess the Omophagea would stop working since it seems to read psychic imprints.

Hey Metatron: I too really like this concept: are you thinking of writing up some DW rules and background for the Guardian Angels? I'd love to see it...

Atheosis said:

BaronIveagh said:

This issue has been around for 20+ years, and we still don't have female marines.  It's probably one of the reasons they came up with the Sisters of Battle...

Sisters of Battle are NOT something new and novel they came up later on. They were in the universe right from the start, from the old Rogue Trader of 80's. Ther WERE the "female marines". For the fact that marines rose up to godlike status and the sisters were left to wayside you can blame the 90's alpha-male-superhero fiction.

I can see GW/BL ret-retconning sisters a notch up in awesomeness once it becomes the time to update their codex and miniature line.

I can't see GW/BL retconning Mariners into equal-opportunity-employer. 

Howdy!

Instead of an untouchable, offer your player a Tactical marine with a MC fore head mounted Plasma Cannon(free relentless devastion), a Jump Pack(free swift attack), and a Natharium(free medicae) to play with himself. Since the other Space Marines dont want him on the team. Seriously, just run an untouchable from DH/RT and be an assasin. Lots of skills, talents, and ablities, but not a space marine.

Polaria said:

For the fact that marines rose up to godlike status and the sisters were left to wayside you can blame the 90's alpha-male-superhero fiction.

Or the fact that Space Marines actually sold products and the Sisters didnt do nearly as well so GW went where the money and fan base were. Which makes sense. So while you can blame the 90's alpha-male-superhero fiction, the true blame belongs on the fans.

Peacekeeper_b said:

Or the fact that Space Marines actually sold products and the Sisters didnt do nearly as well so GW went where the money and fan base were. Which makes sense. So while you can blame the 90's alpha-male-superhero fiction, the true blame belongs on the fans.

I wasn't aware that there were any Models prior to late 90's. Be interested if someone has pics.

Lightbringer said:

Hey Metatron: I too really like this concept: are you thinking of writing up some DW rules and background for the Guardian Angels? I'd love to see it...

I might, but right now my hands are full, so if I do, then it will be quite a bit of time before I get around to it.

You might point your player toward the Exorcists chapter. Their indoctrination includes the neophyte being possessed by a daemon for a time before it is banished. The Exorcists have exceedingly high resistance to corruption, Chaos, and the Warp as a result, and have no psychic signature, but don't necessarily have the huge social penalties that a true Untouchable does.

If I were GMing, I'd say that Untouchables could be implanted with the Astartes organs, but can't accept the hypno-conditioning, and are thus unsuitable candidates as Astartes. Even if it were possible, the revulsion they cause in others would make them poor teammates at best.

Fun fact for all the people who claim that an Exorcist would be socially better than an Untouchable:

Exorcism: "Reduce the character’s Fellowship TO 10 (if the character’s Fellowship is already less than 10, reduce it to 1) as he becomes cold and disassociated." (Radical's Handbook p. 70)

Untouchable: "The character’s starting Fellowship Characteristic is reduced BY 10 (if the character’s Fellowship is 10 or less already, it is reduced to 1) but may later be increased as normal." and "An untouchable suffers a –10 penalty to all Interaction Skill Tests." (Radical's Handbook p.38)

About the "poor teammates" untouchable could be, i say look at the book published.

In the Caine serie, the comissar Caine got an untouchable as a compagnion. Yes he is strange and repulsive but not at the point to be unbearable in the vicinity of other people.

In thousand sons, the sisters of silence, the custodian and the SW seems to be quite good at working together.

Even the Emperor, the mightiest psyker humanity had ever seen has his custodian guard but also sisters in his guard. He doesn't seems to matter about her.

Maybe it's more difficult to get friends when untouchable but it will not make you stupid and in a fight they will hold their grounds, support ally, obey order, ...

They are soldier, not friendly one maybe, not people you would like to hang around but they are effective none the less.