Sign in to follow this  
ferzberk

Inquisitorial Swag

So, as a GM, I've been thinking about something. Since the release of Ascension, I've been making a more concerted effort in my games to give my players access to valuable contacts and allies that they can draw upon in the future, and giving them more of an opportunity to expand upon their influence web through their own actions (instead of simply handing out influence as a reward).

However, this (and in particular, the Ascension book cover) got me thinking: what about all those neat gizmos and gadgets, purity seals, unassuming-but-malevolent tomes, and other assorted oddities that Inquisitors and their acolytes are always lugging about? What about the inquisitorial swag? As a GM, I'm usually rather skimpy on the gear I let my players take - I'm a big fan of the good old fashion auto-pistols at stubbers, and my minions go down too quickly if everyone in the party is packing plasma and power weapons; those sort of rewards come from in-game play whenever possible.

But what about the other stuff? The non-combat artifacts, tools, relics, trophies, and leavings of warp-worshippers? I feel like I want my players to have a far bigger assortment of these types of items than they do already, so I'm going to be trying to work more of these into my plots. The 'how' isn't so much a problem for me as the 'what'. Any old chap can think to offer his players a rosarius or a malefic codex - but how about the really unique stuff, the oddities that can't be manufactured, only found?

I'd love to hear some suggestions for gadgets and swag that fit that category, whatever comes to mind; I'm always keen to see what other players and GMs can come up with. Feel free to also give any suggested rules for anything you might suggest, but not every item need have an in-game function - sometimes it's OK for it to just look 'cool'. Thanks in advance.

Here's some "unique" gear I threw out to my party over the course of my last campaign; it might serve some help. A lot of it isn't so much "funky, obscure gizmos" as they are "normal equipment with interesting modifications". Here's a short list of what I remember:

An officer's beret marked by a silver badge styled in the symbol of the Cadian Gate (worn by a cadian acolyte they fought once, who lost his face to a lasgun fired by a severed arm). It only counted as a Flak Helmet normally, but gave a +10 to interaction tests with military-related people or organisations if they would A) know of Cadia and B) be able to pass off wearing cadian gear without too many questions. Left behind on the charred corpse.

A telescopic axe (wielded by that same guardsman). It normally appeared as a small cylinder or baton, but when activated would "fold-out" into a full mono-axe. Mechanically, it was a mono-axe which could be hidden as if it were a Compact weapon. Not sure about what happened to it.

A suit of lathe-crafted technomaille, gifted to the high priest of an obscure order the party came into conflict with in the finale of the campaign (The Church of the Nine Billion Names of the Emperor). It was simply best-quality chainmail (half-weight, +1 AP), that no longer counted as primitive. Sure, it wasn't super by any means, but I was just happy I had an excuse to use a priest getting about with an Eviscerator and a bigass suit of chainmail. Currently in stasis, following the end of that campaign.

A unique and near-mythical psykana mercy blade, passed down/around high-ranking or promising members of the Templar Calix. It was a powerblade, with stats following as such, with the added effect that the psychoconductive materials weaved into the blade would cause it to glow a low blue whenever psychic powers overspilled from the Warp. In effect, a powerblade that glowed extra for Psychic Phenomena. God-Emperor have mercy on your eyes for powerful Perils rolls. The weapon was assumed lost when its wielder (a major antagonist of the PCs) was killed in a ship-to-ship (-to-rok :P) collision as everyone else fled the scene.

That's all I've got for interesting "mundane" items. I hope it jogged the memories or creativity of some far better people. Meanwhile, I'll go look for my "supernatural" gear which came about during the game.

Okay, here's some other, more "supernatural" stuff than earlier. Some of this never found its way into the campaign, but it's doing no good sitting blankly on my computer:

The Hammer of Aenid
A warhammer wielded by the late Aenid, an acolyte of our inquisitor's old master (just to show how freaking old it is!) who saved a pilgrim vessel from a Navgator-led-cult mid-voyage. She fought through approximately 250 cultists single-handedly to get the the Navigator Magus himself, survived his third eye attacks, and bludgeoned him to death with her hammer before finally dying from 23 separate lethal wounds, or so the legend goes. After the battle, she was taken back to her warrior cult to be buried "properly", and her hammer was taken to Sctintilla to be consecrated by the leading cardinal in the sector, who had been one of the survivors.

Mechanically, the Hammer of Aenid is a best-quality Holy Warhammer (still primitive), which automatically confirms Righteous Fury if the damage roll is a natural 10.

Hide of the Arch-Heretic
The skin of a notorious sorcerer, famous for his "studies" doors, gateways, and portals. He was finally captured by Rykehuss after two previous Inquisitors failed: one who was pushed through a portal into Scintilla's sun, and another who infiltrated his cult to catch him, then was purged by Rykehuss when he caught up to them and "purged the cult entirely."

The cabal of inquisitors tasked with his capture wished to kill him quickly lest he conjure up an escape, but similarly, his penance must be shown if his soul was to be salvaged for the Emperor (and they kinda wanted some tasty info themselves), so they forced him to dictate his rituals to the de-factor leader of the cabal, whereupon deaf scribes wrote the rituals and formula upon his back to sear his soul of all its sin. Then they flayed him to keep it, and burned the body.

In effect, the skin is a parchment which allows a sorcerer to learn Open and Create Door if they have the time, knowledge, and inclination.

Orichalcum Lupis – The Brass Hound
A bronze-coloured sword wielded by the leader of one of Iocanthos' ghostfire-hunting tribes. The tribe itself was somewhat deviant in its faith, but was allowed to exist because it was the second best at acquiring ghostifre (just behind the warlord himself), due to their martial prowess and inspiring and steadfast leaders. Things left as they were, the Administratum would have let him take over from the old warlord, he was that good.  He was only "put down", by a team of inquisitorial stormtroopers and sisters from the nearby Abbey of the Dawn, after inquisitorial agents discovered that the leader, the "Brass Hound", was planning on sommitting ritual suicide shortly after his ascension, in order to drive the entire planet's armies into chaos, confusion, and petty warring.

This weapon was recovered from the charred remains of The Brass Hound, and named as such. Functionally, it is a Daemon Weapon housing a Charnel Daemon. It;s characteristics are:

Damage: 1d10+5 Pen 5, 8kg, warp-touched(warp weapon), Sharp as Sin (tearing), Hungering(+5 critical damage), Heart-Seeker(+10WS), balanced, WP50.

In addition, the Brass Hound causes noticeable daemonic phenomena when drawn. Everyone present except for the wielder will taste gritty ashes in their mouths and their noses will begin to bleed.

Roter Sigillum - The Red Sigil
This was a special weapon created for one of our assassins, Nrvnqsr Essix, and the only one which actually saw play. His backstory was that of an orphan raised by a royal estate on Malfi which trained its members (all orphans themnselvesd) to be city couriers, assassins, and other shady things like that. He was involved with the Inquisition as his old master, the head of the estate (and House Matthias) was an agent of our inquisitor until he was KIA. Nrvnqsr, as the next in line for the estate, worked for our inquisitor "for a period of five years" to 'earn' back the Red Sigil. a signature double-barrelled boltpistol and symbol of office. He was finally presented with it when he returned to his estate just prior to the campaign finale, coining one of the best speeches I've heard in our campaign.

Aide: What say you, my Lord?
Nrvnqsr: I... I wish I took Bolt Pistol training.

Weight: 5.5kg (unloaded)
Range: 30m, S(2)/3(6)/-, 1d10+5 X, Pen 4, Clip 6 (12), Rld 2F, Reliable (good craftsmanship), Tearing, Storm

In addition, wielding Red Sigil or otherwise letting it be known that one is the holder of such an artefact grants the wielder the Peer (Underworld) and Good Reputation (Underworld) talents free of prerequisites, as well as Enemy (Malfian Nobility), owing to the shadowy tales of the wielders of this weapon.

Again, they're mostly weapons, but my party were VERY martially-inclined, so I kinda rolled with that.

Hobo Hunter, many thanks for the suggestions! You know, I actually read your story about the Red Sigil in another thread here just the other day, had me cracking up. And, I'm certainly not opposed to martial gear - they are, after all, often the most useful. I must say, I do like the Hide of the Arch-Heretic - something suitably grim-dark and useful at the same time, and that unassuming beret is also a clever little treasure. Thanks for sharing.

Hey, I don't know if these would be any use to you, but a couple of sessions ago my PCs 'looted' a Librarium, so I generated a couple of extra books for them if they wanted to read them whilst travelling, or in any down time they had:

The Jericho Formula
Time: 5 – Intelligence Bonus weeks (Minimum 1 week).
This work of fiction is based upon a lone enforcer’s attempts at putting an end to a dangerous sect, whilst simultaneously protecting a Saint who has yet to ascend. Although an interesting work of fiction, The Jericho Formula is of little benefit to real life situations, offering only fleeting glimpses into the inner working of secret societies and malign cults; having left the majority of the facts up to the readers imagination. With time, intellect, or both however, one can piece together several key fragments of information.
By passing a Very Hard (-30) Literacy Test the reader gains both Forbidden Lore (Cults) and Scholastic Lore (Cryptology) as a Basic Skill.

Index Alchymica
Time: 7 – Intelligence Bonus weeks (Minimum 1 week).
A must for any practicing chymist, it covers many of the basic principle of the science. Despite the depth of knowledge contained within the Index, it is practically incomprehensible due to there being no coherent organization whatsoever.
By passing a Hard (-20) Literacy Test the reader gains Chem-Use as a Basic Skill. In addition, if the reader passes by 3 Degrees of Success they also gain Scholastic Lore (Chymistry) as a Basic Skill.

Gloria Imperialis (First Edition)
Time: 9 – Intelligence Bonus weeks (Minimum 1 week).
An inspiring tome which fills the reader with awe and wonder regarding the Imperial Creed and teachings of the Ecclesiarchy.
By passing a Difficult (+0) Literacy Test the reader gains Common Lore (Imperial Creed) as a Basic Skill. In addition to this, contemplation of the Gloria Imperialis is also known to heal a damaged soul. The first time somebody reads the Gloria Imperialis they may remove 1 Insanity Point and 1 Corrutption Point.

The Triumph of the Primarchs (First Edition)
Time: 14 – Intelligence Bonus weeks (Minimum 1 week).
A truly epic tale of supposedly factual events claiming to have occurred per-Horus Heresy. Filled with lavish illustrations and beautifully crafted scripture, The Triumph of the Primarchs is just over 4000 pages long.

A Cross-Examination of the Scripture Matrix
Time: 6 – Intelligence Bonus weeks (Minimum 1 week).
A detailed, but far from inspiring explanation of the inner working of a Scripture Matrix. Though not of directly use to the average Imperial citizen, several of the rituals described during the investigation could be applied to other fields.
By passing a Very Hard (-30) Literacy Test the reader gains Common Lore (Tech) as a Basic Skill.

The Personal Memoirs of Lord Commander Eldridge Helbritter
An elegantly written account of the century spanning career of the great Eldridge Helbritter, penned by his own hand.
By passing a Challenging (+10) Literacy Test the reader gains Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis). In addition, if the reader passes by 4 Degree of Success they also gain Command as a Skill. With a detailed study (150 xp) the reader will learn how to interact amicably with members of the Imperial Guard, granting them the Talent Peer (Military).

Invoked Physics
This well rounded and ancient tome is bold in nature, refraining from the use of poetic and flowery prose in place of hard, blunt facts.
By passing a Difficult (-10) Literacy Test the reader gains Logic as a Basic Skill.

An Overview of Astronumerology
A wordy account of the basic principles of Astronumerology and travel in the Void.
By passing a Difficult (-10) Literacy Test the reader gains Scholastic Lore (Astromancy) as a Basic Skill. In addition, if the reader passes by 4 Degrees of Success they also gain Forbidden Lore (Warp) as a Basic Skill.

My players got a little taste of the first step of becoming a radical, a soul-driven weapon that incinerates bio-matter right through all armor. It also deals a ton of corruption. It does 2d10+10+wpb bonus damage, ignores armor, but has the terrible downside of requiring a will power test at -40 and a fail dealing 3d10 corruption. They fired it once not knowing what it was, then they decided to scrap it, it was still funny for me as a dm to see a trap work so well(the player who grabbed it failed his roll)

ferzberk said:

unassuming-but-malevolent tomes

I just love this line.

In our group, except for my cleric and our assassin (both are Nobles) everyone is always very poor. Except for our Scum, we don't steal. We do sometime confiscate equipment or thrones from dead heretics. For upgrades in equipment we had to rely on our own salary.

Our Inquisitor had opened up his armory on his destroyer to us a few times. Two missions ago we were granted access to either a clip of sanctified rounds or have a melee weapon sanctified. Our Inquisitor expects to make do with what we have and generally sees greed as a path to corruption.

Ziek

Cheers for the positive feedback on my stuff guys; I'll try and incorporate some of it into my next campaign since it seems decently liked.

As for Nrvnqsr, I'll try and get hold of his player some time (he's our GM for this campaign so it can't be hard) and get the stats off him for his Daemonknife and accompanying warding amulet. That thing made for some 'interesting' combat encounters when our formerly gunslinging assassin would drop his twin hand-cannons, whip out a funky knife which split the air with a bloodcurdling scream with each swing, and decapitate some poor chap in a literal shower of blood.

Because his WP wasn't high enough to master the weapon, the GM at the time fiated a special 'warding amulet' for him. He needs to wear it at all times to get enough of a 'boost' to resist the daemon. Because I'm a sucker for the concept of radical 'choices' being about the trade between raw effectiveness and exceptionally bad drawbacks which nibble at the soul over time, each time he used the Daemon weapon while relying on the amulet, he would gain a slight "bleedoff" of a single CP or so. He ended up being our most radical agent IMHO, over his career slowly sinking so far as to mutate into a fully-fledged psychic wyrd during the fnale against the daemon known as The Bringer of the Eclipse. Taking 1CP a round was quite harsh for everyone.

And the best part? He did all of this just so he could go back to his orphanage on Malfi, train his adopted orphans (which had blown into a full-scale messianic cult worshipping his return during his 10-year "absence"), and look after them.

The Hobo Hunter said:

An officer's beret marked by a silver badge styled in the symbol of the Cadian Gate (worn by a cadian acolyte they fought once, who lost his face to a lasgun fired by a severed arm). It only counted as a Flak Helmet normally, but gave a +10 to interaction tests with military-related people or organisations if they would A) know of Cadia and B) be able to pass off wearing cadian gear without too many questions. Left behind on the charred corpse.

If the viewer has much of "A" then "B" will be rather difficult unless the wearer has fair skin and violet eyes.  Being a general bad-ass is likewise of help in this case.  cool.gif   

In my game I have statted out some Imperial Guard "armoured headwear" by essentially changing the description and using the stats for a mesh cowl.  One of my players was making some mumblings about making a Valhallan Guardsman if his Assassin died so I wanted to be prepared.  Obviously the same method works equally well for Vostroyans and Mordians.   Amusingly, it is also how the Assassin character's fedora was created (and woe onto any poor soul who messeth with "the het"... except his wife.  She may toucheth.)

Honestly, the real trick here is to come up with a cool and distinctive description for the item in question, give it a cool/mysterious/cryptic/corrupt name, and a back-story if the item is unique or nearly so (even if the characters don't know what it is).  Next, figure out what it most closely resembles in the rules and make a few customizations to the stats (make sure they are logical changes and retain at least some minor semblance of game-balance).   Write the finished product up in a easy to use format (printed page or on an index card works well) and distribute to the new victim...  er, owner.

Rogue Trader has a good example of this method of gear characterization in the Mordian Pattern Powersword.  It is intended more as a defensive than offensive tool when compared to a more "typical" powersword, but is still plenty lethal.  Stat-wise it grants +15% to parry instead of the usual +10% for swords but it does less damage than a "generic" powersword.

For various "trinkets and amulets" the easiest thing to do is to have them provide "situational modifiers" for interaction tests with certain social groups, or situational access to a Trait or quality.   So say an acolyte is wearing a Purity Seal...  This is easily worth a +10 to Fel based tests when dealing with members of the Ecclesiarchy, pilgrims and so on.  It is likewise worth about a -20 or -30 if you are stupid enough to wear one while trying to infiltrate a dark cult.  For minor tokens consider having them grant +5% "half-bonus" for appropriate situations.   Perhaps a character has a "blessed rosary" for example... It is not anything as good as Hexagrammic Wards, but if the blessing is TRUE then perhaps wearing it and actively praying with the item is worth a +5% or +10% to Willpower tests to resist daemonic influence, psychic intrusions and so on if the user BELIEVES  "The Emperor Protects!"    How about "Anointed Scrolls of War-Spirit Appeasement" being ritually affixed to an accolyte's weapon by a legendary Magos Ordinatos that grant the so-blessed weapon the Reliable trait so long as it is properly cared for?   Maybe some heretical psyker has made a psy-focus out of an Ork Weirdboy's skull that grants a larger bonus when attempting to channel a destructive power but actively penalizes "soft an wimpy tingz" like augery, healing and so on?

Speaking as one of Ferzberk's players (not to mention his wife and potential recepient of previously listed items), I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. While my character (Pyromancer) is a staunch puritian and unlikely to use any of the more... questionable artifacts they were nevertheless a delight to read and contemplate; however briefly.

And I have to say; Dartneis, your use of books to gain traits was really inventive and something which I liked alot. Should Ferz not choose to add such tomes into his rpgs I know that I will. Though I think in our games looting a Librarium would probably invoke more wrath than it was worth.

Sorry for not replying earlier, we've been away; thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! Dartenis, I think I will (if you don't mind) definately borrow your book mechanic, I think it's rather clever and a good way of marking time passage for players as well. Bombernoy, I cringe to think what my players might do with that weapon of yours (or Hobo's) - and what it might do to them in turn!

In practice I'm most in line with GrimZiek's situation - loot has always been a little hard to come by for my poor players; and thus, this thread. Zilla, I really like your suggestions as well; I suppose, in retrospect, it really is most about the story behind the item, rather than the item itself; there's only so much one can do to tweak the rules with items. The Mordian sword is a good case in point though; just a little bonus that makes a good old fashion power sword into something more real.

Ironic, though, that Sirana (again, both my wife and player) should suggest looting a library...(Dear, this is where you stop reading)

That happens to be exactly what she'll be doing in the immediate future (albiet to save the artifact cache of a deceased inquisitor, in particular a tome relevant to their investigation, before the entire Librarium can be burned down by the bad guy's pet flamer). I figure since everyone has been so forthcoming, I might detail some of the items I was planning on handing out as well:

Aside from the Codex Exsiliorum, a somewhat malefic text that they need for their present investigation (no real in-game stats on that one), I was also planning on having a small malefic tome bound in corroded brass with a couple tempting arcana inside, plus incomplete instructions for pentagramatic wards. Additionally:

Justicar, a blessed Mono-sword with charictaristic inquisitorial "I" worked into the pommel in a stirring red crystal that seems to grow brigher (not dimmer) in the face of the daemonic, providing a mild WP bonus to help offset the daemonic aura abilities.

A scroll I'm calling a Writ of Damnation, which, when afixed to one's armor, gives daemonic entities a -15 Weapon skill to attack its bearer if they first fail a -10 WP test.

Also, a Purity Seal enscribed with the Catechism of the Unbroken Zealot, which gives its bearer (if chanting the writ aloud as a half action) a +10 bonus to parry against the unclean; or alternately allows the player to scream the benediction with a successful -10 WP test to completely ignore the damage of 1 daemonic attack, but at the cost of permanently immolating the Catechism and taking 2 levels of fatigue instead.

I have  few other goodies to hand out, but not much else worth mentioning; I'm loving the suggestions though, they have my gears turning.

Not really anything fantastic or mystical in any way, but my ex Sister of Battle character has used the vast resources of the Inquisition and her own web of contacts to create and/or modify suits of power armor, with different abilities/gadgets/accessories for different types of jobs. Some of the lighter suits might not provide as much protection as ones designed to wade into hails of gunfire without a scratch, but give her bonuses to movement speed or dodge rolls as they're tuned to increase the speed of everything she does.

I'm still in the design phase for most of them, but I think the general idea comes through.

Ironically, with all the cool stuff I thought up, I wasn't actually the one who designed Nrvnqsr's daemonknife, or even gave it to him. Props to the GM of that mini-arc though, wherever he is, if he can see this.

I remembered another cool item or two from our epic adventures.

Our moritat assassin is verging on the radical side of things, being a bit of an eldar-phile. When the party raided elements of the dungeons under the Tricorn during their escape, some of the equipment he personally took were:

A suit of eldar mesh (I judged his character, at about 2.1m tall and thinly built, could actually wear it): Best-Quality Xeno-Mesh, in mechanical terms.

A Dark-Eldar Stinger. In game-terms, I treated  it as a slightly-buffed Needle Pistol who's "toxic" damage dealt X damage. It also counted as a lathe-knife in melee due to SPIKES SPIKES SPIKES.

A 'necklace' made from a collection of Eldar Soulstones (it was hilarious imagining the torment inflicted from a psychic null wearing soulstones around his neck, but our psyker eventually 'ate' them as part of his daemonic pact).

A small stash of Shuriken weapons (traded to our allied Rogue Trader for cool bionic arms; one incorporating a lascutter and the other an auspex+dataslate)

A sanctified Plasma Gun 'liberated' from a reliquary located in an alcove, apparently wielded by Saint Nimrod during the banishing of a powerful daemon several hundred years earlier. The party encountered this after being 'acquainted' with a certain Daemonhost who had freed himself from the bowels of the vaults whilst the party did the same (their inquisitor tried to crash the localised security systems to get her imprisoned acolytes out, and let out a LOT of other nasties in the process). The daemon possessing the host body turned out to be none other than the daemon banished initially, who had sought out the relic after freeing himself. He politely 'requested' the party destroy the gun for him (since it was anathema to "him", he could not touch it). the party promptly told him to go [RECORDS PURGED] himself. The daemonhost made the party aware he would return for them at a later time for this insult.

I had expected this, and was fully ready to let them keep such an awesome treasure fo taking on what was possibly the most powerful entity out of the Core Rules, because I figured they would pay something dearly for it. Unfortunately, making your grand killing entrance isn't the smartest move to make when you apppear right next to a psychic null. One turn of fizzled effects later, Plagueface the guardsman had mowed the daemonspawn down with a pair of hellguns, some lucky rolls, and houseruling on firing 2-handed weapons one-handed on autofire.

I still remember jotting down the damage values, taking a quick double check, and the party looking up at me expectantly.

Player 1: Did... did we just kill it?
Me: Let's see... i think, adding this, and this....
Player 2: You can throw all that hard work that away now [trollface]
Me:....35.....46....yep, 46 odd points of damage in total, post-toughness. Yeah, it's dead [scrunches stat entry into a ball and throws at bin, begin to describe super epic death sequence as pulled off by our guardsman]

If  I had to include any more cool items, one thing I've  thought about is the constant dissonance created by the existence  of "genuine" Faith Talents, and their seeming lack of ability to basically everyone but the Adepta Sororitas. My next item will probably be some sort of "mundane" melee weapon (to encourage a choice between solid arsekicking and situation-specific abilities) which has the ability to grant "Pure Faith" to those considered truly faithful but otherwise lacking the ability.

I would make this at the GM's discretion to avoid "rules-lawyering the faithful from the masses" and having all sorts of definition-wars, but I would consider a good guideline to be both falling under the same requirements as Pure Faith/Suffer Not the Unclean, and a generall cappacity of the character itself to be roleplayed as faithful.

Just a few more interesting toys  to throw out there.

Just wanted to give a quick shoutout to Dartneis. I just used a couple of his books in my campaign, and they further inspired me to create several of my own specifically tailored to the campaign.

To contribute to the thread, I have a magos biologis antagonist in my campaign who's primary weapon is a pair of best-craftsmanship boinic arms with a concealed weapon upgrade holding vivesectors with lathe forged scalpels. End result looks something like a grimdark lady deathstrike.

One member of my party has an Archeo-tech plasma pistol that was touched by the Emperor .  In game stats its a best craftmanship weapon but still awsome just to hold onto.

Yeah go for it ferz! Thats why I posted them!

Awesome thanks, I really am surprised at the amount of love for my books! None of my players have really bothered with them (Well accept for the semi-literate guardsman, who's currently trawling his way though 'The Triumph of the Primarchs' because of its "lavish illustrations"

Siranna said:

Though I think in our games looting a Librarium would probably invoke more wrath than it was worth.

Well it wasn't as much looting, more being pressed for time whilst being chased after by servitors, so instead of checking the blessed classification system of St. Dewey Decimal they just shoved the whole shelf into a bad... Very imaginative P:

The Boy Named Crow said:

Just wanted to give a quick shoutout to Dartneis. I just used a couple of his books in my campaign, and they further inspired me to create several of my own specifically tailored to the campaign.

I hope I'm not thread-jacking, but is there any chance you could post the ones you've made up on here?

Dartneis-Is-Back said:

Well it wasn't as much looting, more being pressed for time whilst being chased after by servitors, so instead of checking the blessed classification system of St. Dewey Decimal they just shoved the whole shelf into a bag

Well - it presumably worked and in the end that is what tends to matter.

I personally overstress the need to do other things than fight in both the rpgs I write and those I play with Ferz. I'm big on interrogating heretics and establishing both resources and contacts. I like to have the 'whole picture' so to speak before I charge in and burn down everything in sight; so, needless to say, the non combat items are of great interest to me. 

In the spirit of the thread, despite Ferz being aware of both of these items, I'll post a few that I have come up with over the years. You never know when they can come in handy:

Death's Oracle: This little device came to me as I was writing a backstory for a rather powerful Diviner I was playing with a group of friends. She had Occularion (The Inquisitorial faction obssessed with knowing and controling the future) tendencies and I wanted something to play off of that. This device very simply, tells the time of death of whomever holds it. In appearance it is fairly innocuous, a very battered golden pocket watch with no identifying markings. It appears, to the unwary, to be broken as the hands never change their position... until someone else holds it. Then it will slowly turn to a new time. As I have stated, that time is the exact to the second of their death. Granted, it didn't have a year/month/day on it... but except for one minute every day she was mostly immortal - and I played her to match that understanding. Of course, the thing was infused with essence of Tzeentch and did eventually corrupt her (she liked to use it in interrogations to scare the hell out of people) but it was a great item while the group lasted.

Archangel of Pain: This one is a bit more straight forward and is the current object of interest in Ferz's Xeno campaign. It is a chest, about 3' by 2', bound in the flayed skin of an Eldar, and covered with sigils of binding in the same language if one has the required skills to read them. Should someone be foolish enough to open the thing they will find, probably much to their dismay, a rather angry daemonette imprisoned. As I said, simple, but I try to play it like Pandora's box. Do you really want to open it? I mean really?

Other items I've come up with but have not really fleshed out are an aquila amulet made by my current character from the clay of Terra. I'm hoping to get some sort of WP bonus from it but that is still under debate. For a RT campaign we did I spent a considerable amount of profit factor on procuring and then preserving ancient texts and manuscripts which conveyed a bonus to research attempts on their given subject; ie. Legends, War, etc.

Happy to. Although, as I said, most of the ones I came up with were designed specifically for one or more of my players, so they may be of limited use

Zoologica Mundanum
Time: 6-Intelligence Bonus Weeks (Minimum 1 week)
A technical and verbose discourse on the classification of non-xenos creatures, their traits, and the manner in which they are superior to Xenos creatures.
By passing a -10 Literacy Test, the reader gains Scholastic Lore (Beasts) as a Trained Skill.

A Bundle of Handwritten Notes
Time: 5 - Intelligence Bonus weeks (Minimum 2 weeks)
A garbled account of a man's time spent as a captive of Eldar Corsairs before his rescue by the Imperial Battleship Verinaught. Contains some of his insights on the language and customs of the Eldar.
By passing a -10 Literacy Test, the reader gains Speak Language (Eldar) as a Basic Skill. If the reader passes by two or more degrees of success, they gain it as a Trained Skill.

A Primer on the Principles of Etiquette among Imperial Nobility
Time: 4 - Intelligence Bonus weeks (Minimum 1 Week)
A carefully worded tome on the principles of etiquette among Imperial nobility.
By passing a +10 Literacy Test, the reader gains Peer (Nobility)

On the Usage of the Imperial Creed as a Foci for the Controlled Manifestation of Empyrean Events
Time: 1 week
What appears to be a College Thesis by an individual named Dysseus Cypher. It outlines the manner in which Sanctioned Psykers go about using aspects of the Imperial Creed to help themselves safely manifest their abilities.
By passing a +10 Literacy Test, the reader gains Invocation as a trained skill (if they have psy powers), if the reader passes by five degrees of success or more, they also gain Forbidden Lore (Warp) as a Basic Skill.

Discourse Tyrantium
Time: 20 - Intelligence Bonus weeks (Minimum 1 week)
A massive tome, containing transcriptions and preservations of accounts of every known appearance of the Tyrant Star. It also includes lengthy footnotes by the author, attempting to explain various phenomena, and hypothesizing about the nature of the thing.
By passing a +10 Literacy Test, the reader gains Scholastic Lore (Tyrant Star) as a Trained Skill

These Have been great, I have nicked all the books :)

A couple of my own.

This was a nod to a character in another game (Old WoD) that  had a spirit possessed chainsaw. I mean honestly, how could I not port that to a DH game?

'Reaper' Eviscerator Daemon-weapon
Reaper is a brutal, though plain looking eviscerator. It appears constructed of plain matt steel and has a distinctly industrial appearance.The teeth of the blade and its inner machanisms are stained with blood, which can never be cleaned off. It radiates a malevolent aura and stinks of blood and gore.

If one listens closely, the sound of a beating heart can be heard within the weapon.

2D10+7R P7 Wp:46 (2handed, Unweildy, Tearing, Special, Vampire, HellSpite)

A small puzzle box (aka:Lament Configuration) pass a Hard Logic or Scholastic Lore (Occult) Roll allowed use of the Open Door Arcana. On failure it summons a Lody of the Voids (creatures anathema, pg:122). The puzzle box is on use only, it is left behind. (so when the big bad escapes using it, the PC's can pick it up after) 

A variation on the Callopean Psy Engine.A series of psyker brain-pods are connected up to the character who's brain is linked in with the brain pods. It was used by a bunch of hereteks.

"Bizarre in appearance, a suit of heavy Lamellar Armour, under the joints thick cabling is visible, over his head is a hugely thick bell helmet, which bolts onto the armour, it does not look like it comes off. there is no visible eye holes or cameras on the helmet or suit. On his back are tanks full of greenish liquid,with hose leading up under the helmet. Attached to the Helmet like limpets are the brains of Psykers, contained in the transparent capsules seen in the Callopean engines. More armoured cabling is tangled around the brain-pods, interconnecting them.
He Channels the Psyker minds to direct psychic blasts and protect himself."

Effect: same as the Sorcerer talent set.

Dartneis-Is-Back said:

Hey, I don't know if these would be any use to you, but a couple of sessions ago my PCs 'looted' a Librarium, so I generated a couple of extra books for them if they wanted to read them whilst travelling, or in any down time they had:

The Jericho Formula
This work of fiction is based upon a lone enforcer’s attempts at putting an end to a dangerous sect, whilst simultaneously protecting a Saint who has yet to ascend. Although an interesting work of fiction, The Jericho Formula is of little benefit to real life situations, offering only fleeting glimpses into the inner working of secret societies and malign cults; having left the majority of the facts up to the readers imagination. With time, intellect, or both however, one can piece together several key fragments of information.
By passing a Very Hard (-30) Literacy Test the reader gains both Forbidden Lore (Cults) and Scholastic Lore (Cryptology) as a Basic Skill.

Index Alchymica
A must for any practicing chymist, it covers many of the basic principle of the science. Despite the depth of knowledge contained within the Index, it is practically incomprehensible due to there being no coherent organization whatsoever.
By passing a Hard (-20) Literacy Test the reader gains Chem-Use as a Basic Skill. In addition, if the reader passes by 3 Degrees of Success they also gain Scholastic Lore (Chymistry) as a Basic Skill.

Gloria Imperialis (First Edition)
Time: 9 – Intelligence Bonus weeks (Minimum 1 week).
An inspiring tome which fills the reader with awe and wonder regarding the Imperial Creed and teachings of the Ecclesiarchy.
By passing a Difficult (+0) Literacy Test the reader gains Common Lore (Imperial Creed) as a Basic Skill. In addition to this, contemplation of the Gloria Imperialis is also known to heal a damaged soul. The first time somebody reads the Gloria Imperialis they may remove 1 Insanity Point and 1 Corrutption Point.

The Triumph of the Primarchs (First Edition)
Time: 14 – Intelligence Bonus weeks (Minimum 1 week).
A truly epic tale of supposedly factual events claiming to have occurred per-Horus Heresy. Filled with lavish illustrations and beautifully crafted scripture, The Triumph of the Primarchs is just over 4000 pages long.

A Cross-Examination of the Scripture Matrix
Time: 6 – Intelligence Bonus weeks (Minimum 1 week).
A detailed, but far from inspiring explanation of the inner working of a Scripture Matrix. Though not of directly use to the average Imperial citizen, several of the rituals described during the investigation could be applied to other fields.
By passing a Very Hard (-30) Literacy Test the reader gains Common Lore (Tech) as a Basic Skill.

The Personal Memoirs of Lord Commander Eldridge Helbritter
An elegantly written account of the century spanning career of the great Eldridge Helbritter, penned by his own hand.
By passing a Challenging (+10) Literacy Test the reader gains Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis). In addition, if the reader passes by 4 Degree of Success they also gain Command as a Skill. With a detailed study (150 xp) the reader will learn how to interact amicably with members of the Imperial Guard, granting them the Talent Peer (Military).

Invoked Physics
This well rounded and ancient tome is bold in nature, refraining from the use of poetic and flowery prose in place of hard, blunt facts.
By passing a Difficult (-10) Literacy Test the reader gains Logic as a Basic Skill.

An Overview of Astronumerology
A wordy account of the basic principles of Astronumerology and travel in the Void.
By passing a Difficult (-10) Literacy Test the reader gains Scholastic Lore (Astromancy) as a Basic Skill. In addition, if the reader passes by 4 Degrees of Success they also gain Forbidden Lore (Warp) as a Basic Skill.

how do you run the rolls for this? do your players only get one roll? If they succeed can they keep trying to get the higher up rewards?

More great responses from everybody! Together, we have quite the arsenal of inquisitorial arcana and curiosities. I've been continuing to work on my adventures, and I figured I would post a few more items that I've whipped up stats for, all of which will be available to my players depending on whether or not they take certain actions. Note that a number are relevant specifically to Malfi, where my rpg is presently taking place.

(Once again, Siranna, stop reading here)

A fine gown of Koronus shifting Fabric in the latest Malfian style: (notion borrowed from the RT rulebook). The fabric literally shifts colors in certain light and in some cases reflects the wearer’s attitude. It comes with a set of matching jewelry of significant worth (clear crystal) and is sure to make a striking impression when flaunted. A quiet seal of the noble house gifting this suit of clothes is embroidered across the right breast. When attempting to exert influence while wearing the gown upon one who understands its symbolism, and with one who isn’t hostile to that particular noble family, it adds +5 to acting influence.

“Being a lesser record of the Greater of the Malfian Sub-sector of the latter 40th Millennium, under the humble compilation of Sister Famulous Patheria, with addenda," A finely bound text covered in Famulous seals and containing fairly accurate family records of numerous powerful noble houses in the Malfian sub.  Taking 5 weeks-INT bonus to read and a +0 Literacy test, grants the reader the skill: Common Knowledge: Nobility as a basic skill (due to behavioral patterns of nobles contained within the book), and Scholastic Lore: Malfian Nobility on at least 2 successes.

“A Concise History of Bejeweled Malfi, Rightful Seat of Calixian Authority; a social and political analysis, volumes XXXII-XXXV,” A stack of gilded tomes compiled by a full wing of the Malfian administratum at the behest of a number of wealthy noble backers, leading to a detailed if not somewhat biased local history. In addition to an illuminated history, it contains numerous colourful illustrations. Taking 6 weeks minus INT bonus to read and a +0 Literacy test, grants the reader Scholastic Lore: Malfi and and Scholastic Lore: Heraldry. A -10 Literacy test and a -20 logic test allow the reader to also gain Forbidden Lore: Occult as a basic skill, or at one higher than the owner's previous rank, due to all the cultic details that must of course be noted in such a debauched history.

A compact wardrobe of stylish Scintillan ladies fashions, and a talented body servant. This is a gift from a friendly noble on Scintilla, it is a small (though physically large), hand-picked wardrobe of fine Scintillan clothes in the latest fashions, and includes 5 outfits; 2 for formal occasions, 2 for more informal (but still regal) occasions, and 1 for “intimate moments”. The package also contains a talented (though overwhelmed, ultimately) body servant, with whose creative assistance one can gain a temporary +10 bonus to charm skills for specific occasions, and a +20 when disguise attempts are made with her help and several hours to prepare. The clothes themselves mark one as a member of the stylish and informed nobility, and give a +5 to interaction tests in noble company.

An elegant, personalized Naval Officer’s Pistol. A gift package from Admiral Strophes (see Purge the Unclean; still alive as an ally in our rpg), the weapon is his personal side-arm from his time as an admiral in the Imperial Navy; the weapon is an exquisite piece of Best-Quality worksmanship (giving a +1 bonus to damage, the Accurate quality, and a +5 in general to firing tests as well as its usual Tearing quality). It is also a priceless collector’s piece, and is engraved with the admiral's vessel's name: “Redoubtable Victory”, one of Battlefleet Calixis’s flagships, still in service in the region. To those who recognize it for what it is as are well disposed, it gives a +15 social test bonus, but may inspire some jealousy. 

A Sororitas Hunter-Pattern Psyocculum. A regal gift and sign of respect from a certain Legantine Sororitas, it is a best-quality fitted eyepiece used to detect psychic presences; it allows the wearer to gain a +20 Awareness bonus to notice immaterial/insubstantial entities, and allows the wearer to make a +10 awareness check on a nearby individual to determine if they are psychically active(unless their actively shielding themselves), and a +30 to psynicience tests if looking at or near the subject in question.

Fernestrarum Empyricus. (Literally, "Window of the Empyrian), it is a battered copy of a malefic tome recovered from a suspected heretic, bound in deteriorating yellow leather and gold leaf. Taking 8-Int weeks to study and a +10 Lit test, success allows the reader to learn the Whispers of the Warp sorcery and a sorcery equivalent to Zone of Compulsion (at Thres 21) (a psyker may learn Zone of Compulsion as normal from this, but must take 3 corruption to do so). Reader gains 1 corruption for each complete reading, and another 1d5 on a failed +10 wp test. Consulting the text completely allows a +10 bonus to 1 relevant Occult, Psykers, Warp, or Daemons test.

(My personal favorite:) Deus Ex Mechanicus, A precious text repressed outside the mechanicus itself, bound in well-polished sheets of adamantine, it is a tome requiring 7-INT bonus weeks to read; upon completion reader must make a -10 Literacy test (+0 if having scholastic lore Mechanicus) and a tech-use test at +10 (+20 if having mechanicus languages). Success grants Common lore: mechanicus at 1 level higher than it presently is (nothing – basic – trained -+10, etc). Success by 2 or more degrees gives the same for Scholastic lore: mechanicus. A secret -10 logic test reveals the pages to contain secret mechanicus ciphers, increasing the bonuses gained by each of the above results by another +10, as well as allowing the player to learn techna lingua as a basic skill with a -10 literacy test.

"A small, irregular statue of a Beast in Robes" This is a 10-inch tall irregularly shaped black stone statue of something with uncertain bestial figures mostly obscured by a frayed robe that seems to quiet things around it when looked upon and is always pleasantly cool/warm to the touch, depending. A single circuitous symbol is worked into its base, but no other ornamentation or apparent use. If psychically probed, it has a carefully shielded but otherwise potent warp taint that acts like a cold beacon in the warp currents. Psychically attuning one’s self to the statue with an extended (14 successes) invocation test allows one bearing it to lower all power thresholds by 3, however this action requires a -20 WP test or gaining 1d5 corruption points for opening one's mind to such a tainted artifact. The statue also whispers quietly, and can communicate certain instructions subconsciously. Proper chains and bindings will reduce this malefic influence but reduce its effectiveness to a %33 chance. If approached and beseached as per its own instructions, it can be used to invoke and communicate with a specific entity.

“A closely engraved set of blackened chains” These blackened chains seem to burn the psychic without heat, and are meant to shackle the hands. They are engraved with arcane runes (pentagrammatic and partially malefic in nature) but their nature can only be discerned with difficult Daemonology/Warp/Psyker/Occult tests, and translation time. The wearer of these chains has the threshold for all psychic powers raised by 15 and their power dice pool lowered by 1. Every hour of use gives the wearer a level of fatigue, a wound on a 30% chance, and a corruption point on a 50% chance. When the shackles are removed after at least 3 hours of being worn, the psyker’s power spikes briefly, giving them a bonus power die for the next day. If they are ever broken, their release sparks 1d5 psychic phenomenon, and permanently raises the bearer’s power die pool by 1.

A final item I plan on providing is not so much an item but a potential resource, and a direct product of my players' present investigation: A (the only) stable, artificially created psyker of formidable psychic potential. However, his mind is by nature now opened to the warp, allowing for much greater power but equally greater risk. He is an emaciated and bodily wracked man of incredible ugliness, prone to fits of madness not by his warp exposure, but by his bodily state and recent circumstances. His potential as an 'item' is in the questionable use of such an individual for any number of arcane purposes - I'm sure you can imagine some.

Sorry for the ear-full; that's my afternoon's work. I apologize for some of the choppiness in my writing style; I copied much of the descriptions directly from my own notes, which are rather less formal than one might wish for.