Jump to content
Sciencius

Fight to the finish - Herald of hope preview

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Tyhar7 said:

So can anyone think of a good pairing for C'ai to leap frog over?

Josh maybe? Snap?

Thoughts on Juke with him?

Don't think Juke would be good on match on C'ai. Think his/her evade gaining is not reliable enough to justify a 7pt upgrade like Juke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Rebel Starfighter Owners' Worskhop Manual identifies it as an Ax-190-B Blaster Cannon, and assuming the Wook has taken its description straight from there, it says that the gun has automated targeting for rearward defence against enemy starfighters.

So don't know what else to tell you bud. Official material says it's starfighter grade, not anti-personnel. 

Gonna go back to going with "long overdue" if that's quite alright with you. 

Considering that manual was only published 10 months ago, and the only canon use of that weapon is against personnel...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dsul413 said:

Considering that manual was only published 10 months ago, and the only canon use of that weapon is against personnel...

10 months ago is still canon, and well after the movie came out. Furthermore, spaceship weapons can totally be fired against personnel.

Its almost like X-wing draws extremely heavily from the EU, because its a supplemental game for nerds, and that Star Wars is a beloved transmedia franchise that is over 40 years old with more full length novels than plays by Shakespeare.

If we only went by exactly literally what was shown in the movies and ignored all supplemental materials, none of the X-wing pilots save Poe would even have names. 

So I think the fact that Disney's canon on how the Blaster Canon works 'gets' to allow it to shoot at spaceships even though it shot at people in the movie that one time. Sorta like how we all accept S-foils closing make the ship go faster even though that was never established on screen and we just saw the X-wings locking them in attack formation without context for why.

X-wing is way more in the family of transmedia extended canon than in the family of 'the film's because... you know... it isn't a film. It is an EU product itself, and from Disney's marketing perspective both exists to grant licensing fees AND get people to realize there is a bigger Star Wars universe to C O N S U M E.

Its the same reason why nerds don't like that the RZ-1 A-wing in the game is a cheap trash ship that exists to crash into things or be filler on a list, rather than a cool, sleek sexy raider style ship. I suspect the 'mystique' of the A-wing among nerds is even why the RZ-2 was a 'launch feature' of the Resistance while the NR2 Y-wing had to wait to be the 'backup ships' despite both ships being absolutely loved. But that mystique was never displayed on screen, and still is absurdly important to people.

Edited by dezzmont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KCDodger said:

Wow you're kind of a jerk.

You started it from where I'm sitting. He was replying to your comment that did have a pretty strong element of snark in it. You don't get to be a jerk and complain that folks were a jerk back to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dezzmont said:

10 months ago is still canon, and well after the movie came out. Furthermore, spaceship weapons can totally be fired against personnel.

Its almost like X-wing draws extremely heavily from the EU, because its a supplemental game for nerds, and that Star Wars is a beloved transmedia franchise that is over 40 years old with more full length novels than plays by Shakespeare.

If we only went by exactly literally what was shown in the movies and ignored all supplemental materials, none of the X-wing pilots save Poe would even have names. 

So I think the fact that Disney's canon on how the Blaster Canon works 'gets' to allow it to shoot at spaceships even though it shot at people in the movie that one time. Sorta like how we all accept S-foils closing make the ship go faster even though that was never established on screen and we just saw the X-wings locking them in attack formation without context for why.

X-wing is way more in the family of transmedia extended canon than in the family of 'the film's because... you know... it isn't a film. It is an EU product itself, and from Disney's marketing perspective both exists to grant licensing fees AND get people to realize there is a bigger Star Wars universe to C O N S U M E.

Its the same reason why nerds don't like that the RZ-1 A-wing in the game is a cheap trash ship that exists to crash into things or be filler on a list, rather than a cool, sleek sexy raider style ship. I suspect the 'mystique' of the A-wing among nerds is even why the RZ-2 was a 'launch feature' of the Resistance while the NR2 Y-wing had to wait to be the 'backup ships' despite both ships being absolutely loved. But that mystique was never displayed on screen, and still is absurdly important to people.

I mean, no ****. I own the family of starfighter manuals and love them. I love the supplements materials, books/shows/comics/whatever. My point is only to challenge the idea that it’s “long overdue”when the use of the weapon against anybody other than ground personnel wasn’t confirmed until release of the book, even when we see X-Wings being chased. That’s pretty spot on a design cycle for concept to release I would imagine in X-Wing.

It also follows the naming convention of the Millenium Falcon’s legends anti-personnel defense weapon seen on Hoth, for what it’s worth.

I love the idea of this close in auto cannon. Me saying that the only time we’ve seen the thing used is against personnel is accurate as far as I’m aware and also does not make any assertion that the movies are the only material that’s matters.

Edited by dsul413

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dsul413 said:

I love the idea of this close in auto cannon. Me saying that the only time we’ve seen the thing used is against personnel is accurate as far as I’m aware and also does not make any assertion that the movies are the only material that’s matters.

Ok. I think this is a case of text annihilating nuance then. I at least misinterpreted what you were trying to say, though I can't speak for anyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dezzmont said:

Ok. I think this is a case of text annihilating nuance then. I at least misinterpreted what you were trying to say, though I can't speak for anyone else.

I didn't provide a whole lot of amplification, to be fair. Just meant to promote that maybe there is a middle ground where we saw it do anti-personnel things, we haven't seen it do anti-starfighter things, and the confirmation of that capability in canon is relatively recent as far as design cycles go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dsul413 said:

I mean, no ****. I own the family of starfighter manuals and love them. I love the supplements materials, books/shows/comics/whatever. My point is only to challenge the idea that it’s “long overdue”when the use of the weapon against anybody other than ground personnel wasn’t confirmed until release of the book, even when we see X-Wings being chased. That’s pretty spot on a design cycle for concept to release I would imagine in X-Wing.

It also follows the naming convention of the Millenium Falcon’s legends anti-personnel defense weapon seen on Hoth, for what it’s worth.

I love the idea of this close in auto cannon. Me saying that the only time we’ve seen the thing used is against personnel is accurate as far as I’m aware and also does not make any assertion that the movies are the only material that’s matters.

Yeah and I didn't really get the idea this was a feature all X-Wings had, either. Especially with its weird placement. Came off as a rigged thing for covert ops and definitely far too small for use on ships. I mean, it basically fits in the landing gear bay of a T-70. I'm not sure how it's even supposed to fire without exposing the gears. This thing isn't exactly huge either. If you tried putting it on the miniature it'd basically look like a blaster rifle.

That's why I think this upgrade isn't even close to overdue. It's a friggin' blaster rifle.

qmWrAMH.png

How is this supposed to do a single thing against a fighter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, InterceptorMad said:

I mean you can have it if you want, I feel like this one is awful lol

Its definitely bad if used 'straight up' but it might open up a target sync list, which dramatically changes the value of the secondary shot by effectively removing the 'don't mod your first shot' requirement, even though its main advantage on snap is that it can be slightly modded.

A 4 dice primary with focus and 2 secondary unmodded is WAY better than a 4 dice unmodded 2 dice secondary with TL.

Its very much a 'points matter' card that could land on a couple of price points. It is sorta like its a VTG+Dorsal that can be slapped on X-wings, as long as you got a sync or two in the list, so that is definitely a lot of potential if its say... 5 points (assumed to be 'worse' than Snapshot due to it requiring a TL), or completely trash at 7.

Edited by dezzmont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dezzmont said:

Its very much a 'points matter' card that could land on a couple of price points. It is sorta like its a VTG+Dorsal that can be slapped on X-wings, as long as you got a sync or two in the list, so that is definitely a lot of potential if its say... 5 points (assumed to be 'worse' than Snapshot due to it requiring a TL), or completely trash at 7.

I'll throw my two-cents at it without a bunch of heavy lifting... (Do I ever?)

T-sync is basically trash in Resistance. 

If the minigun is 5 points, but you need Snap and at least a couple of Syncs to make it worthwhile, this thing is still trash in my book because you're having to pay for the syncs, too. 

I'd consider this minigun on a triple or quad T70 list if it was like... maybe 2 or 3 points. 

That just my playing-Res-since-they-launched gut feeling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The T70 gun might be interesting if cheap enough, Bastian and Target Sync could maybe do something. If nothing else it can have other uses like helping Vennie builds with T70s able to take a turret or Ronith. It might be nice to have on OG Poe as going behind him might have some risks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 9/26/2020 at 1:22 AM, KCDodger said:

Yeah and I didn't really get the idea this was a feature all X-Wings had, either. Especially with its weird placement. Came off as a rigged thing for covert ops and definitely far too small for use on ships. I mean, it basically fits in the landing gear bay of a T-70. I'm not sure how it's even supposed to fire without exposing the gears. This thing isn't exactly huge either. If you tried putting it on the miniature it'd basically look like a blaster rifle.

That's why I think this upgrade isn't even close to overdue. It's a friggin' blaster rifle.

qmWrAMH.png

How is this supposed to do a single thing 

giphy.gif

Edited by Tyhar7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously we don't have points but we can estimate. What potential list do people think we might start seeing with these new upgrades? 

Nemi, Bastian, Jess + 4th seem certain.

Now we have 4 I5 a-wings do you think just running those 4 with ordinance will be a thing, rather than traditional 5a's?

Hondo coming in as a crew option might open up some coordination potential. Him on Rose supporting Ace's?

Trip-X Aces?

New Concussion bombs seem powerful. Do you think they'll be enough to get the stortresses on the table?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyhar7 said:

New Concussion bombs seem powerful. Do you think they'll be enough to get the stortresses on the table?

I think they're going to be more dangerous for the Guppy than for any enemy, given their propensity for bumping and not being able to get away from their own bombs.  I'm absolutely going to run two or three of them, don't get me wrong.  But I expect it to go horribly, gloriously wrong, ha ha.

edit:  I'm liking the look of this:

Finch Dallow (58)    
    Trajectory Simulator (6)    
    Pattern Analyzer (5)    
    Concussion Bombs (3)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Ablative Plating (6)  

Ship total: 83  Half Points: 42  Threshold: 6    
    
Edon Kappehl (58)    
    Trajectory Simulator (6)    
    Pattern Analyzer (5)    
    Informant (5)    
    Concussion Bombs (3)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Ablative Plating (6)    
Ship total: 88  Half Points: 44  Threshold: 6    
    
Colossus Station Mechanic (26)    
    Deadman's Switch (2)    
Ship total: 28  Half Points: 14  Threshold: 3    
    
Total: 199    

Edited by Kleeg005

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2020 at 4:41 PM, Kleeg005 said:

I think they're going to be more dangerous for the Guppy than for any enemy, given their propensity for bumping and not being able to get away from their own bombs.  I'm absolutely going to run two or three of them, don't get me wrong.  But I expect it to go horribly, gloriously wrong, ha ha.

edit:  I'm liking the look of this:

Finch Dallow (58)    
    Trajectory Simulator (6)    
    Pattern Analyzer (5)    
    Concussion Bombs (3)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Ablative Plating (6)  

Ship total: 83  Half Points: 42  Threshold: 6    
    
Edon Kappehl (58)    
    Trajectory Simulator (6)    
    Pattern Analyzer (5)    
    Informant (5)    
    Concussion Bombs (3)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Ablative Plating (6)    
Ship total: 88  Half Points: 44  Threshold: 6    
    
Colossus Station Mechanic (26)    
    Deadman's Switch (2)    
Ship total: 28  Half Points: 14  Threshold: 3    
    
Total: 199    

Well Concussion bombs could good be like a last ditch effort when you are left with 2-3 hull, well ok, ITS BOMBS AWAY!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2020 at 3:41 PM, Kleeg005 said:

I think they're going to be more dangerous for the Guppy than for any enemy, given their propensity for bumping and not being able to get away from their own bombs.  I'm absolutely going to run two or three of them, don't get me wrong.  But I expect it to go horribly, gloriously wrong, ha ha.

edit:  I'm liking the look of this:

Finch Dallow (58)    
    Trajectory Simulator (6)    
    Pattern Analyzer (5)    
    Concussion Bombs (3)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Ablative Plating (6)  

Ship total: 83  Half Points: 42  Threshold: 6    
    
Edon Kappehl (58)    
    Trajectory Simulator (6)    
    Pattern Analyzer (5)    
    Informant (5)    
    Concussion Bombs (3)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Ablative Plating (6)    
Ship total: 88  Half Points: 44  Threshold: 6    
    
Colossus Station Mechanic (26)    
    Deadman's Switch (2)    
Ship total: 28  Half Points: 14  Threshold: 3    
    
Total: 199    

I'm wondering if VTG and Surpressive gunner could be good. At high enough initiative like Paige you could really cancel out incoming fire or force hit through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 8:51 PM, Tyhar7 said:

I'm wondering if VTG and Surpressive gunner could be good. At high enough initiative like Paige you could really cancel out incoming fire or force hit through.

Never really payed much attention to the fact that the Starfortress bomber had two gunner slots, this does open up for som interesting possibilities. 

3 Cobalt Squadron Bombers: 1 with Suppressive Gunner and Hotshot Co-Pilot to add a strain and remove tokens; and then 2 with Suppressive Gunner and Veteran Turret Gunner. As strain stack, you can only remove one in the following-turn or take damage, that will be brutal.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...