Sciencius

Fight to the finish - Herald of hope preview

5 minutes ago, svelok said:

everyone was mad about these mechanics on nantex, are they going to think they're cool now that they're on resistance ships?

It's worth noting that Backwards Tailslide doesn't stop you from suffering the negative effects of the obstacle (although less of an issue for gas clouds admittedly), and Suralinda's pilot ability means that you're still not getting an action and suffering a strain in the process.  I might be wrong, but these feel like they're mostly going to be in the fun/situational category rather than top tier stuff.

9 minutes ago, Jarval said:

It's worth noting that Backwards Tailslide doesn't stop you from suffering the negative effects of the obstacle (although less of an issue for gas clouds admittedly), and Suralinda's pilot ability means that you're still not getting an action and suffering a strain in the process.  I might be wrong, but these feel like they're mostly going to be in the fun/situational category rather than top tier stuff.

I think I agree.

Just judging from Broadside, Nemi Chereens ability will prove sneaky good though.

Backwards Tailslide looks like it's gonna go very nicely with Overdrive Thrusters. Depends if T-70 'aces' can run efficiently enough to make use of it.

6 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

Backwards Tailslide is absolute binder garbage. The only way it sees play is of it's zero points.

Will work on a Nien build with PA and OverDrive thruster taking debris. I lost a game recently because 4k'd a misjudged the debris cloud and landed directly on it so I could not PA boost or BR off of it. With Backwards Tailslide he could use that a lot to get extra evades a positionally lose the stress after. 

Edited by Tyhar7

Merl Cobben, for example, can distract even the best pilots with his acrobatics, flying right into their path and making them more vulerable them up to fire from his whole squadron.

Woah, slow down there, writer. I can tell you're super excited about this card - you're tripping all over your words!

Another I5 A-Wing pilot for the Resistance. I wonder if FFG was confused and thought they were designing RZ-1 pilots.

Anyway, I hope they are cooking up some good things for the Rebel squadron pack that hopefully has a B-wing and two A-wings.

If Backwards Tailslide is 1 point would you take it instead of Heroic?

R6-D8 looks good in theory but in practice it will require some work to pull off. I don't know that flying to try and proc it will be smart. I'm guessing FFG will price it like it is an amazing upgrade. Although it will allow a single ship to get two rerolls if they have Predator as well, so reducing the need to target lock if you don't have munitions.

26 minutes ago, svelok said:

everyone was mad about these mechanics on nantex, are they going to think they're cool now that they're on resistance ships?

What mechanics are you referring to?

34 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

So two cards that can go on rebel ships, come on new card pack. 

This. Please! I think for the next version of hotshots and aces they might throw the CIS and Republic a bone. Kit fisto in the Aethersprite??

2 minutes ago, Skitch_ said:

Another I5 A-Wing pilot for the Resistance. I wonder if FFG was confused and thought they were designing RZ-1 pilots.

Anyway, I hope they are cooking up some good things for the Rebel squadron pack that hopefully has a B-wing and two A-wings.

Agreed. I am really looking forward to Phoenix squadron. I think they have good things planned. Yes! 2 A’s and a B would be great!

I think that Heroic is still better, but maybe on a rebel x wing?? I find it hard to decide what talent to put on rebel x wings and this seems ok? Probably best with gas clouds.

6 minutes ago, Skitch_ said:

What mechanics are you referring to?

Most likely partially completed maneuver bonuses and conditionally ignoring obstacles.

That said there is a subtle difference here, as these are conditional on failing the maneuver (or not being able to boost normally) rather than just ignoring a major aspect of the game with bumps.

Suralinda isn't just casually rolling, boosting, or going backwards every turn they wiggle their turret, its just that if she wants to do a 180 or 90 degree turn she has to bump someone. While this still gives her amazing control over what arc she is firing out of, it makes her a lot more predictable than a Nantex and you can do stuff to make this not matter as much (Such as holding fire arcs on where she would need to end up, or being at range 2 or 3 of it). On top of this, she can't get mods if she does this, meaning its going to be a 2 dice with heroic at best if you play around it which isn't actually a very scary thing to let someone '360' with. Its basically an unmodded dorsal turret shot.

Tailslide seems questionable, especially if the meta is rock and debris heavy. This seems to be a way to encourage you to take big rocks, rather than wimpy gas clouds that the X-wing can just boost through very casually, and its positioning on most obstacles is pretty pin-point to avoid landing in them and just smashing into it with little upshot and losing your action, or landing on them and losing your shot.

Edited by dezzmont

1 minute ago, Skitch_ said:

Another I5 A-Wing pilot for the Resistance.

R6-D8 looks good in theory but in practice it will require some work to pull off. I don't know that flying to try and proc it will be smart. I'm guessing FFG will price it like it is an amazing upgrade. Although it will allow a single ship to get two rerolls if they have Predator as well, so reducing the need to target lock if you don't have munitions.

Yeah R6-D8 feels like it could be good with any of the I-4's up. It can also go on the Transports, so wouldn't be to bad on Cova, actually looking at R2-D2 may not be to bad on Cova either! 

That new I5 is underwhelming tho, you have to evade - boost to prox the ability for your friends, then lose any modes for yourself. 

3 minutes ago, Skitch_ said:

What a hard call! Heroic is one of my favorite cards. My guess is Tailslide will have to be built with Wexley since that would allow X-wings to avoid obstacles, get an evade, open up their sfoils, and get a calculate in the same round.

20 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

Backwards Tailslide is absolute binder garbage. The only way it sees play is of it's zero points.

Depending on cost, it might not be so bad on T-65s if you bring gas clouds and really need one big defensive round. Close s-foils, focus boost over a gas cloud for an extra green die and two guaranteed evades. I've used Gas Clouds + Luke + Jyn evade and it's been decent. This is basically the same thing but without needing other ships. 

I'd take that on Wedge for two points. Could mean your other ships get a free round as your opponent futilely chases down Wedge, or they ignore him and Wedge gets to run away and re-set. Maybe even regen. That cost is less justified on anyone less than I5, though, and it's taking a slot and points that Wedge might rather use for Crack Shot.

I'd take it for free, though. Absolutely no question.

So obviously it won't be free...

33 minutes ago, Sciencius said:

I was glad to get another X-wing article, and I dont want to rain on my own parade her. But honestly, I dont know how exited I am about these pilots, yes nice to get more pilots, but I would have prefered more pilots for the TIE Intercepter, or the Rebel Awing. 

Yeah. Even as a primarily Resistance player with a great love of RZ2s, I don’t really understand why we needed these pilots. If they had been really different, like a pilot who made a ordnance based build on them attractive, I’d better understand. But these pilots don’t feel like they change how one would fly the chassis. 

I am excited for some of the new T-70 stuff like the Overdrive Thruster (not so sure about the new talent though), and Nimi looks pretty cool. But I can’t help but feel I’d be more excited for the pack as a whole if it gave something like the Resistance transport some new options or (pipe dream here) introduced a new ship like the Resistance Y-Wing to the faction. 

And yeah, I definitely agree that RZ1s and TIE Interceptors have a greater need for new pilots than either of the ships in this pack.