Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ranker

How many of each box with this wave?

Recommended Posts

With the current wave being released, would one need to order more than 2 of each box for comfortable list building flexibility? 

I'm deployed overseas so shipping is more expensive than 3 boxes so its always better for me to over order.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it seems a common thing I'm hearing is that at least for the Imperial Special Forces, and the Mandos, you're good with 1 or 2 boxes. With their point cost for a full unit, and the ability to form 2 units with a single box (1 standard and 1 named unit), it'd be difficult to build lists using models from 3 boxes.

I'd assume it's similar with the ARCs, but I don't know because I've never played any Clone Wars era stuff. I'd think the STAPs would be similar to the Speeder Bikes, which I've got 3 sets of, but so far have never fielded more than 2 units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Clan Wren you have the option to run two units out of the box, fully upgraded. The Clan Wren Unit and the Mandalorian Resistance Unit with the Beskad Duelist. If you wanted to run two Mandalorian Resistance units with perhaps Ursa and Tristan as their Heavy Weapons, then you'd need two boxes but you have a few models left over.

With ISF it is a bit different. You can technically run 3 or 2 units out of that box. The 3 would be, a full ISF unit with the T-21 Special Forces Trooper, and Gideon and Del as upgrades in your Corp Units. The 2 would be Inferno squad, and a naked ISF unit, building the T-21 Trooper as just a regular trooper. Both of those setups use every model in the expansion. So if you want to run two ISF with Gideon and Del as their upgrades, you need two boxes, you'd also technically need two just to get 1 extra trooper if you want to run Inferno Squad and ISF fully upgraded.

With ARCs and Droid Commandos there are a lot more things you can do, the limit there is the cardboard, you only get 1 full unit card and 1 strike team card, so even though there is a lot of potential to run strike teams, in theory you can run 3 out of 1 ARC Box, you don't have the unit cards for them.

Edited by Nithorian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 3:10 PM, Nithorian said:

With Clan Wren you have the option to run two units out of the box, fully upgraded. The Clan Wren Unit and the Mandalorian Resistance Unit with the Beskad Duelist. If you wanted to run two Mandalorian Resistance units with perhaps Ursa and Tristan as their Heavy Weapons, then you'd need two boxes but you have a few models left over.

With ISF it is a bit different. You can technically run 3 or 2 units out of that box. The 3 would be, a full ISF unit with the T-21 Special Forces Trooper, and Gideon and Del as upgrades in your Corp Units. The 2 would be Inferno squad, and a naked ISF unit, building the T-21 Trooper as just a regular trooper. Both of those setups use every model in the expansion. So if you want to run two ISF with Gideon and Del as their upgrades, you need two boxes, you'd also technically need two just to get 1 extra trooper if you want to run Inferno Squad and ISF fully upgraded.

Clan Wren need 2 boxes to run "Clan Wren" (tristan, ursa +1) and Mandalorian resistance (4 + beskad) = 8 miniatures. You can assemble Beskad duellist and Tristan as generic Mandos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan Noir said:

Clan Wren need 2 boxes to run "Clan Wren" (tristan, ursa +1) and Mandalorian resistance (4 + beskad) = 8 miniatures. You can assemble Beskad duellist and Tristan as generic Mandos. 

Mandalorian Resistance is just a three man unit too - See so you can run both units fully upgraded with just the 7 miniatures in the expansion.

Edited by Nithorian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Nithorian said:

Mandalorian Resistance is just a three man unit too - See so you can run both units fully upgraded with just the 7 miniatures in the expansion.

Ah I missed that. 

Anyone wanna buy a box of mandos? 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Khobai said:

You can run both Clan Wren and Mandalorian resistance with one box.

Its inferno squad that you cant run with one box.

So there's no point in having 2 Clan Wren boxes whatsoever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ranker said:

So there's no point in having 2 Clan Wren boxes whatsoever?

You can run more than one Mandalorian Resistance units. With two boxes you could take two Mandalorian Resistance units and Clan Wren in a list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ranker

Is there a particular faction that you focus on?

Are you looking at purchasing more for game play or hobby side? That may affect how many boxes you get.

 

 

Inferno Squadron

1 box: 7 minis, cards for ISF & Inferno Squadron

ISF= 4 minis + Heavy

Inferno= 1+ Gideon +Del (Gideon & Del can also be added to other units, inclusion the ISF and core)

As others have mentioned, 1 box won’t allow you to build a full ISF and Inferno at the same time.

  • I did a kit-bash of an extra Iden model with Sabin’s head to create Seyn (the extra Inferno Squad Member)

 

2 boxes (14 minis) allows you to build 2 ISF and Inferno (1 extra mini, you’re also using the extra Del/ Gideon minis for regular troops)

 

 

Clan Wren

1 box: 7 minis, cards for Mando Resistance & Clan Wren

Mandos: 3 minis+ Heavy

Clan Wren: 1+ Ursa+ Tristian (Ursa and Tristan can also be added as the heavies to Mandos— but no other units)

 

2 boxes could let you build 2 Mandos + Clan Wren (3 extra minis) or 3 Full Mando squads (you would need extra unit card and the Beskad Duelist card and need to kit-bash that mini)

 

(Personally, I can see this being a unit where more boxes= more painting opportunities)

 

 

ARC Troopers

1 box: 7 minis, cards for ARC Troopers & ARC Troopers Strike Team

This is similar to the Rebel and Imperials Commandos— where you can have a full unit (4+1) and Strike Team (2)

Heavies are a generic sniper, Echo and Fives (Echo and Fives can also be added to core units as well)

 

2 boxes would let you make 3 snipers (using the Echo model as a generic), would still need cards.

 

 

BX Commandos

1 box: 7 minis, cards for Full squad (4+1) and Strike Team (2)

Heavies: Sniper, Dioxin Mine

Similar to the other Commando options for list building

 

For modeling, it gets a bit crazier— some models have up to 3 build options: Blaster, Vibrosword, Shield.

The Vibrosword or Shield (or nothing) Weapon upgrade gives a lot of list building options (in addition to which heavy to take)

I think it’s a little too soon to determine the “best” build for the BXs— it may come down to personal preference and army strategy.

It is certainly a product where having “many” boxes becomes a viable option from simply a modeling standpoint. At least the game isn’t WYSIWYG, and you are free to build the model as you wish (I’ve seen photos of people doing both sword and shields). Again, depends on if you’re playing this faction or how much you’re here just for the hobby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...