Mesrob

What 1.0 ships are essential for 2.0?

42 minutes ago, Spinland said:

Threads like this are quite dangerous to n00bs like me who are having way, way too much fun scoring 1.0 models on the aftermarket to fill the conversion kits I bought. Can't play yet, so why not pad the collection?! Buncha enabling gits you are. :D

I agree. There are some sick 1.0 deals to be had. I grabbed the Rebels, Imperials and Scum conversion kits from Barnes and Noble last week for 60% off!!!

6 hours ago, Mesrob said:

For $15 I bought it off Amazon. Could not resist.

@CoffeeMinion let me ask you one more question. The Mist Hunter. Would love to try out Zuckuss. Thoughts on the Mist Hunter?

I’ll echo @5050Saint that 4-LOM is actually the droid you’re looking for. Don’t get me wrong, one of these days I’d like to settle on a Zuckuss build that I’m truly, genuinely happy with. But I already have one for m’boy 4-LOM:

4-LOM (49)    
    Elusive (3)    
    Advanced Sensors (10)    
    Qi'ra (2)    
    Mist Hunter (1)

I’ve gone back and forth a bit on Discord about whether or not this is optimal, and I’ll admit that smart people have said it is not. I’ll also admit that I keep meaning to tweak it some more. But I find this to be an absolute joy. The gist is that 4-LOM always dials in a red maneuver, always takes a pre-reveal action, and always pawns off his stress on somebody else at the end of the turn. The trick is that the pre-reveal action can be a target lock on an obstacle that you’re going to fly through. And hey, since you’re always doing reds, why not always have a defensive reroll from Elusive while you’re at it?

Again, it’s probably not an optimal build. But it can be a devilish component of a “troll squadron” such as the one @Archangelspiv describes.

(I have also been asked not to fly something like that!)

2 hours ago, Npmartian said:

How does this even make people mad?

It removes people’s agency to do things. Palob steals Focus and Evades. Seevor either jams you when he shoots or if he is a target. 4 LOM is a medium base ship that can stay still for pretty much as long as he wants, he hands out stress making people do blue moves, which are generally shorter moves, making it easier for him to block them. 

It does things to you and you can’t stop them from doing it to you. it has 3 ships with 3 die attacks, it can put out some decent firepower. 

A visual diagram of why Palob is annoying.

aQZHxty.png

Note annoying doesn't mean 'unfair' 'bad for the game' or 'unfun.' A few grief mechanics are good! But maybe don't run grief mechanics 24/7 with your buds, they tend to be a little more good natured when they aren't all your flying against that night!

Alright.  The last two ships, promise.  The Tie Bomber and Tie Punisher?  What about these?  I am surprised they have not been re-released in 2.0, unless there is still so much 1.0 stock.  Either of these good?  Thanks again gents.

27 minutes ago, Mesrob said:

Alright.  The last two ships, promise.  The Tie Bomber and Tie Punisher?  What about these?  I am surprised they have not been re-released in 2.0, unless there is still so much 1.0 stock.  Either of these good?  Thanks again gents.

Both can be good. But they're tricky to be particularly creative with.

Bombers run best cheap, but you can have some fun with Rhymer's ability and Tomax's I5 offers a little something. The generic I2s can be decent filler in a few ways, but I rarely see more than 2 these days. The time of Lambda plus many munitions may have passed, but there might be other possibilities.

Generic Punishers.... has anyone else  ever flown them? Crossed my mind once.

Redline and Deathrain both have absurdly good abilities to go with an already good set of actions and have seen price hikes in the past. It means that although they are still good, it's a lot harder to get the value out of them, given their upgrade requirements. Which means you generally have to go with the most streamlined, well defined build, or not bother.

Punishers were so strong at the start of 2.0 that aftermarket prices went a bit crazy. I'm not sure how easy they are to acquire now.

Punisher Aces are decent.  Having one isn't bad, but probably not worth overpaying for the model.

Bombers are also OK.  They're probably at their best with a single bomb or mine as cheap generics, where they're really cost effective.  However, being a highly cost-effective ship with 2 red and 2 green is not always super exciting.

Punishers can have some excitement and a lot of fun to them.  Bombers are best when boring and cheap.

I think Punishers are good, well the named ones. But their cost is a basic buy in. To make Redline good for example you need to spend 23 points on Adv Sensors and Proton Torps, which is equivalent to another ship, even if it’s just an Academy TIE. Plus they die to focus fire quickly with just 1 Agility, I think because swarms are thing atm Punishers have been put away for a bit. 

TIE Bombers have been good most by just taking Proximity Mines, usually 4-5 of them with something else in the list as a pocket ace.

TIE Punishers are best using their unique pilots Redline or Deathrain. Redline with Adv Sensors and Proton Torps is really mean. Deathrain with Trajectory Simulator, Proton Bombs, Seismic Charges and choice of munition is also scary. It's so rare to see multiple TIE Punishers in a list that you're pretty safe just getting 1.

Edited by RStan

On 9/16/2020 at 10:49 PM, Spinland said:

Threads like this are quite dangerous to n00bs like me who are having way, way too much fun scoring 1.0 models on the aftermarket to fill the conversion kits I bought. Can't play yet, so why not pad the collection?! Buncha enabling gits you are. :D

xwing-mistakes-made.png

As a Scum player, most of my collection is converted 1.0....

If I had to pick 3 essentials it would be Starviper, Kihraxz, and G1A. But it's hard not to also add Scurrg, Quadjumper, Kimogila, and HWK. Also while you're at it, M3A, even though it's also in 2.0, is still cheaper 1.0 if you have conversion kit anyway.

It's getting harder and harder to find them for decent prices, so if you want them, better go looking sooner than later.

Lancer isn't that great unfortunately, it does have some success but it suffers hard from being too fast and being unable to stay on target.

Edited by Cerebrawl

2 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

Lancer is great, it does have some success but it suffers hard from being fast and being hard to stay on target.

Fixed this a little bit.

The point that it really isn't forgiving or easy to fly at all is truth.

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

I mean, it's cool n all, till you realise you just turned in the wrong direction :D

So that's why you turn that speed into a lag roll into the correct vector.

But that's not an X-Wing thing, my bad. ;)

13 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

As a Scum player, most of my collection is converted 1.0...

Most of my spendy fun these days is finding deals on aftermarket scum ships. I sprang for two of the conversion kits and eventually I hope to have plastic to match all the cardboard. 😎🍺

25 minutes ago, Spinland said:

Most of my spendy fun these days is finding deals on aftermarket scum ships. I sprang for two of the conversion kits and eventually I hope to have plastic to match all the cardboard. 😎🍺

Same team.