Mesrob

What 1.0 ships are essential for 2.0?

Guys, can you help me out?  I am new to the game.  My son and I are playing Rebels, Imperials and Scum.  What are your top three 1.0 ships that have not been re-released for Rebels, Imperials and Scum? What are the must-have 1.0 ships for Rebels, Imperials and Scum?  In order of priority and how many of each.  I would deeply appreciate your advice and guidance.  I'm just asking about ships they have not been re-released in 2.0.  Thanks and be safe!

Edited by Mesrob

Hello, @Mesrob! Welcome to the forums. 

I'd try to find a YT-2400 for Rebels and a HWK-290 (used for both Rebs and Scum). E-Wing would be my third for Rebs. 

For Scum, there's the Lancer Class Pursuit craft and K-fighter (Khirax or however it's spelled). 

Empire, TIE Phantom, TIE Aggressor and Gunboat. 

Good luck!

1 minute ago, Bucknife said:

TIE Aggressor and Gunboat

Be warned that these ships are incredibly hard to find/expensive. Also, the TIE Aggressor hasn't fully proven itself, so hold off on pursuing any of those.

The HWK is a decent suggestion as @Bucknife said, it's in two factions. For Rebels, a U-wing is a solid buy, and if you get the Saw's Renegades version, it comes with some 2nd Edition stuff packaged in. Get a StarViper for Scum. For Empire, definitely a TIE Phantom.

As new players I think you can easily forgo the gunboat until its rerelease, its not theceasiet ship to get to work for beginners anyways. I don't know if anybody really flies the Khirax these days? 

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

For Rebels, a U-wing is a solid buy, and if you get the Saw's Renegades version, it comes with some 2nd Edition stuff packaged in.

I know a while ago they were going to release a Saws Renegrades in the 2.0 Black box. Whatever happened to that? Are they going to release that at a later date or is the whole thing scrapped?

12 minutes ago, Gupa-nupa said:

I know a while ago they were going to release a Saws Renegrades in the 2.0 Black box. Whatever happened to that? Are they going to release that at a later date or is the whole thing scrapped?

Whole thing scrapped until further notice. Plenty of wv. 14 boxes left, apparently, and manufacturing priorities going to newer products.

Rebels- you lost me.... invest more money in Scum and Empire. 

Scum - StarViper, G1-A(Zuckus’ ship) and maybe Mining Guild TIE

Empire - TIE/Phantom, Lambda Shuttle and probably Starwing (Gunboat). Has the TIE v1 been released in 2.0? No idea. I have had 4 for ages, wont need more. 

Gunboat can be a bit tricky with it not turning around so easily but IMO the Lambda has a lot of good options for lists. 

Rebels: Saw's Renegades comes with a U-wing and some content for rebels that is exclusive to the box, with a few upgrade cards and pilots that see some decent play. The U-wing is a rebel staple, and another X-wing never hurts. The E-wing, if your a fan of the old EU, is a solid pick, and despite not being great its fun to fly and it has been getting steady buffs and may become a really versatile ship in the faction. The HWK is is really interesting, especially if you fly 'coop' team scenarios (It was a favorite among my students when I ran X-wing as an after school activity because it is decent at fighting and handing out focus to your friends is really fun!).

Scum: The Star Viper is the big one here for sure. It is a super flashy and fun ship that is simply complicated, and complicatedly simple. Easily the number one reason to get a Scum conversion kit, it is so delightfuly slippery.

Empire: Nothing hugely NEEDED, besides maybe the TIE/Phantom if your really competitive, due to it having arguably the best individual pilot in the entire game averaged out over all the metas (Whisper hasn't generally ever been the top pilot, but she is always really high no matter what, and has actively broken so many cards by existing it isn't funny). The main risk if money is a factor there is that Whisper has been such a design problem for so long the Phantom MIGHT (but probably wont) get a huge hit. Cloaking is also reasonably complicated, and if your mostly playing casual matches with your son Whisper may not improve your enjoyment of the game that much.

Nothing super critical for a casual table besides maybe a Lambda, which is a fantastic iconic piece that helps make the difference between your rebels or scum and your empire more stark, as it gives Empire a vulnerable but tough 'command ship' to carry critical crew that rebels can bully if its left undefended, but which is tough enough to be a mistake to attack if they can't draw away the TIEs defending it!

13 minutes ago, Mesrob said:

Hey guys, what about the IG-2000?  IG-88 ship.  That worth buying?

If you get them, get 2. They are just getting to the point of good with the point adjustments. They are fun to fly, definitely.

10 hours ago, dezzmont said:

Scum: The Star Viper is the big one here for sure. It is a super flashy and fun ship that is simply complicated, and complicatedly simple. Easily the number one reason to get a Scum conversion kit, it is so delightfuly slippery.

Right there. Nothing more needed

Rebels: I feel like most of what Rebels “need” has been rereleased already. You’ll want a HWK though. They’re usually cheap, much better in 2.0 than they were in 1.0, and they work for both Rebels & Scum. Maybe look at an ARC-170 as well, though it’s not going to set the world on fire. The YT-2400 is a big gun that people are trying to make work again.

Empire: 1 Lambda (a classic, now with an extra firing arc), 1+ TIE Bomber (also classic), 1 TIE Punisher (can be harder to find, but Deathrain and Redline are interesting and at times decent)

Scum: 1 Starviper (the OG Scum power piece), 1+ Kihraxz (unsexy but a workhorse, especially in numbers), 2 IG-2000/1 G-1A (pick your poison based on whether you like IG-88 or 4-LOM; you won’t use them all the time but they have their moments). Special mention for the Kimogila — I find there are two kids of players, split between Clusters Torani being hilarious or stupid. Most people seem to say stupid. I say hilarious.

1 hour ago, Mesrob said:

Thank you everyone, and thank you @CoffeeMinion!!!!!  Guys, one more question.   The Shadow Caster looks real cool.  It's $15 on Amazon.  Worth it?

It's a playable ship (not the greatest, but it's usable), and that's a good price if you've already gone into a conversion kit.

Edited by theBitterFig

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

It's a playable ship (not the greatest, but it's usable), and that's a good price if you've already gone into a conversion kit.

@Mesrob — This, very much. It’s not the highest-tier piece, but it has its pluses, and its proponents. For instance I haven’t had overwhelming success with it, but I have a buddy who’s frightening with it.

Scum tends to accommodate a variety of play styles, and this is probably as much of a stylistic pick as anything.

8 minutes ago, CoffeeMinion said:

@Mesrob — This, very much. It’s not the highest-tier piece, but it has its pluses, and its proponents. For instance I haven’t had overwhelming success with it, but I have a buddy who’s frightening with it.

Scum tends to accommodate a variety of play styles, and this is probably as much of a stylistic pick as anything.

For $15 I bought it off Amazon. Could not resist.

@CoffeeMinion let me ask you one more question. The Mist Hunter. Would love to try out Zuckuss. Thoughts on the Mist Hunter?

6 hours ago, Mesrob said:

Hey guys, what about the IG-2000?  IG-88 ship.  That worth buying?

IG’s are on the cusp of being good IMO. With the TIE/rb and HMP Gunship releases the IGs have access to a very good cannon upgrade that suits them a lot. Depending on points I am toying around with 2x IGs and 4 LOM with IG D crew. 
As for the Shadowcaster, that is up to your play style. I find it needs to go fast, as a large base ship I am not good at that... My style is fast small ships like the Interceptor. The few times I tried the Caster I sucked a lot in it, but some people have had great success in it. 

30 minutes ago, Mesrob said:

For $15 I bought it off Amazon. Could not resist.

@CoffeeMinion let me ask you one more question. The Mist Hunter. Would love to try out Zuckuss. Thoughts on the Mist Hunter?

4-LOM, advanced sensors, Mist hunter and IG 88D crew is fantastic in the games I have played with him. You can Adv Sensor calculate, hard stop for 3 calculate tokens. Or Adv sensors barrel roll, hard stop for blocking shenanigans. Hand off your stress for rinse repeat action. 

If you have the points, Elusive is good on him too as you’re always doing reds on 4-LOM

I have been asked not to play this as it’s too NPE, but gee is it fun. 

New Squadron

(49) 4-LOM [G-1A Starfighter]
(3) IG-88D
(10) Advanced Sensors
(1) Mist Hunter

(40) Palob Godalhi [HWK-290 Light Freighter]
(18) Moldy Crow

(30) Captain Seevor [Modified TIE/ln Fighter]

(48) Black Sun Assassin [StarViper-class Attack Platform]

Total points: 199

Edited by Archangelspiv

ZUCKUSS!!!

At this point, you want some fun, and throwing ALL OF THE DICE is super fun. You will require the use of the squad building sub forum.... it gets technical and ridiculous quickly.

Otherwise, agree with many other things.

Phantom- not just Whisper, Echo is now the best one! (And secretly always has been), 2x Sigma is still a fine element.

Lambda. Starviper. HWK. (Love me a Lancer).

Gunboat- prepare thy wallet.

25 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

ZUCKUSS!!!

At this point, you want some fun, and throwing ALL OF THE DICE is super fun. You will require the use of the squad building sub forum.... it gets technical and ridiculous quickly.

Otherwise, agree with many other things.

The Forum as whole is a fantastic group of people and a great resource. The only issue I have is people abbreviate cards A LOT, which can be not helpful to new players or if you don’t play that faction.