Sign in to follow this  
mschobes

WAKE UP! YOU'RE BEING LIED TO!

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people talk about odds in X-Wing. "Oh, you have a 47.319% chance to hit this, you have a 247.6% chance to hit that." Quite frankly, this line of thinking is dangerous and harmful to the community as a whole. 

Hear's the simple truth: you either hit, or you don't hit. There's nothing beyond that. Therefore, every shot is a 50/50.

Those odds people are telling you? They use those odds to oppress the dignity of our noble ace overlords. Aces have to arc dodge. They can't joust. If I'm taking 3 50/50s against you. and you're taking 6 back, I'm going to lose that game. "Oh, BuT tHe AcEs HaVe BeTtEr OdDs To HiT." No, they don't. You think that because your brain is small. Allow me to enlighten you.

No ace player has ever jousted and won. If you think they did, you just don't comprehend what REALLY happened. I'm here to help you with that. 

WAKE UP, X-WINGERS! You're being lied to by harmful people like the Krayts (and Baby Krayts) who don't want you to learn their secrets. I know. Maths isn't real. In the words of the great Max Stirner (probably), "It's all a spook, man!"

Edited by mschobes

15 minutes ago, mschobes said:

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people talk about odds in X-Wing. "Oh, you have a 47.319% chance to hit this, you have a 247.6% chance to hit that." Quite frankly, this line of thinking is dangerous and harmful to the community as a whole. 

Hear's the simple truth: you either hit, or you don't hit. There's nothing beyond that. Therefore, every shot is a 50/50.

Those odds people are telling you? They use those odds to oppress the dignity of our noble ace overlords. Aces have to arc dodge. They can't joust. If I'm taking 3 50/50s against you. and you're taking 6 back, I'm going to lose that game. "Oh, BuT tHe AcEs HaVe BeTtEr OdDs To HiT." No, they don't. You think that because your brain is small. Allow me to enlighten you.

No ace player has ever jousted and won. If you think they did, you just don't comprehend what REALLY happened. I'm here to help you with that. 

WAKE UP, X-WINGERS! You're being lied to by harmful people like the Krayts (and Baby Krayts) who don't want you to learn their secrets. I know. Maths isn't real. In the words of the great Max Stirner (probably), "It's all a spook, man!"

stats are a spook

Every shot is a 50/50?  Have you seen some of the dice out there?  There are many shots where either you don't hit... or you really don't hit.

Also, your opponent has like an 83.7% chance to roll natties anyway.  On an unrelated note, did you know that 76% or statistics are made up on the spot?

7 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

The irony of this thread title is almost art.

This is the video I was largely inspired by. Regardless of how you feel about me, it's really an entertaining watch.

1 hour ago, Npmartian said:

With Han, either you blank out before the reroll or you reroll into more blanks

The premise still holds!

Unless you’re my opponent, in which case you reroll into all paint and use Saw to get five hits.

1 hour ago, mschobes said:

This is the video I was largely inspired by. Regardless of how you feel about me, it's really an entertaining watch.

Please be assured I have no ill will towards you, and as trolls go, I think you're doing a surprisingly good job of not inciting real angst.

But nevertheless, I felt compelled to act pre-emptively.

31 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Please be assured I have no ill will towards you, and as trolls go, I think you're doing a surprisingly good job of not inciting real angst.

But nevertheless, I felt compelled to act pre-emptively.

I honestly don't view myself as a troll, so perhaps that's it. I'm making facetious statements regarding some bad takes I've seen held un-ironically. I'm not an alt account or whatever, either. I've long communicated with people like @Kyle Ren, @jagsba, @svelok, and so on, just not in a public forum like this. The current drop in reasonable discourse is what motivated me to finally join the forums after years of just lurking. Green Dragoon, for example, was always reasonable. Not sure what happened, but we all miss the old Green Dragoon.

Green Dragoon, for example, was always reasonable. Not sure what happened, but we all miss the old Green Dragoon.

Wait what? I still like Green Dragoon. I think Green Dragoon is one of the most reasonable voices out there even today, and is very good at keeping people un-riled-up and un-angry.

We're not falling into teams or  parties now, are we? That would make me truly sad.

Green Dragoon, for example, was always reasonable. Not sure what happened, but we all miss the old Green Dragoon.

14 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Wait what? I still like Green Dragoon. I think Green Dragoon is one of the most reasonable voices out there even today, and is very good at keeping people un-riled-up and un-angry.

@GreenDragoon's become a little unhinged at the bad faith arguments that keep getting put forward. To which I completely understand. When people say "this list is bad because I've head-simmed it" and the response is "head-simming is not valid" then immediately followed that statement up by "this list isn't bad because I head-simmed it", logic alarms start ringing. Green is still a voice of reason, but folks are boggling his mind.

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

@GreenDragoon's become a little unhinged at the bad faith arguments that keep getting put forward. To which I completely understand. When people say "this list is bad because I've head-simmed it" and the response is "head-simming is not valid" then immediately followed that statement up by "this list isn't bad because I head-simmed it", logic alarms start ringing. Green is still a voice of reason, but folks are boggling his mind.

It's a sign of the times, really.