Jarval

Rule the Skies - HMP Droid Gunship preview up

9 hours ago, Matanui3 said:

It would be strange to have the card if it can't use it.  I guess you could make a case for Quick-Build syndrome, but that would piss so many people off.

Servants of Strife Squadron Pack, you got Juke but you can't use on Vulture and Belbullab ship.

20 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

We also got Afterburners in the Fang Fighter Pack and Targeting Computer in the Nantex pack.

I maintain that the Nantex was almost surely intended to ship with a Mod slot, but the slot got deleted and the prices pre-nerfed after playtesting.

That's my X-Wing conspiracy theory.

Edited by theBitterFig

21 hours ago, svelok said:

cannons in the brute. what could you possibly need MMP for?

Thinking again about the MMP... could it be OK on a TIE Bomber?  Roll > Lock for a 4-dice bullseye might be solid, on the right pilot.  Part of the reason Proton Rockets haven't always taken hold is that there aren't too many ships which can Focus and Roll.  Tomax Bren, for example, might be a nice little pocket bruiser with MMP.

To that end, Vader and Maarek Stele should probably Proton Rocket more.

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I maintain that the Nantex was almost surely intended to ship with a Mod slot, but the slot got deleted and the prices pre-nerfed after playtesting.

That's my X-Wing conspiracy theory.

I believe that was the case with both the Fang/Afterburner and the Nantex/TC. They probably had them sent to the printers, then someone said, "If I put Afterburners on this ship, wouldn't that make it even easier to get to range 1?". And then changes were made in post-production to disallow that.

54 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Tomax Bren, for example, might be a nice little pocket bruiser with MMP.

To that end, Vader and Maarek Stele should probably Proton Rocket more.

I agree with all of these assessments. At 6 points, Prockets is just so much more reasonable to take. As for Tomax, he's super cheap since leveraging his ability is silly currently, so dropping MMP onto him might be decent. If the MMPs are 6 points, he'd be 3 points cheaper than Duchess. Certainly less Ace-y, but slightly tankier.

Edited by 5050Saint

15 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Thinking again about the MMP... could it be OK on a TIE Bomber?  Roll > Lock for a 4-dice bullseye might be solid, on the right pilot. 

if you want big slaps on your roll > lock, you  can take advanced torps? R1-2 || seems pretty strictly worse than R1 \ /, at least for a non acey ordnance carrier

if you want big slaps in bullseye, a crack shot primary is nearly as effective at range one (3 dice lock crack is very, very close to 4 dice lock) so you're again only really getting value specifically out of the r2 section of the bullseye

I genuinely don't see any pilot justifiably taking MMP at more than like 4 points, and I'm honestly dubious above 3. and that goes double for non-droid ships just trying to use a lock based ordnance to as a worse APT and a worse proton rocket, theoretically because it's more flexible than either, but giving up flexibility from each of them too

like, this is all just hypothetical and doing the legwork of looking at what possible combinations exist. all reasonable. but "what if I spent 6 points to put MMP on tomax?" gives the feeling of tuning into the animal planet monkeys slapping a plank of wood with a hammer; it's a harmless diversion, but at some point the attempt to make the hammer work eclipsed the design mechanics the hammer possesses

1 hour ago, Arkanta974 said:

Servants of Strife Squadron Pack, you got Juke but you can't use on Vulture and Belbullab ship.

The Squadron packs get a vague pass, as they were intended to serve as a jumping on point for the faction and to give the player the bulk of the upgrades not already obtained from the Core Set. It's certainly an odd choice though, as they then proceeded to include it in the Nantex expansion anyway...

31 minutes ago, svelok said:

if you want big slaps on your roll > lock, you  can take advanced torps? R1-2 || seems pretty strictly worse than R1 \ /, at least for a non acey ordnance carrier

if you want big slaps in bullseye, a crack shot primary is nearly as effective at range one (3 dice lock crack is very, very close to 4 dice lock) so you're again only really getting value specifically out of the r2 section of the bullseye

I genuinely don't see any pilot justifiably taking MMP at more than like 4 points, and I'm honestly dubious above 3. and that goes double for non-droid ships just trying to use a lock based ordnance to as a worse APT and a worse proton rocket, theoretically because it's more flexible than either, but giving up flexibility from each of them too

like, this is all just hypothetical and doing the legwork of looking at what possible combinations exist. all reasonable. but "what if I spent 6 points to put MMP on tomax?" gives the feeling of tuning into the animal planet monkeys slapping a plank of wood with a hammer; it's a harmless diversion, but at some point the attempt to make the hammer work eclipsed the design mechanics the hammer possesses

Could easily be.  The advantage of MMP over APT is the flexibility.  Some wide shots, some 3-dice, some 4-dice.  APT is stronger, but only does one thing once.

You're probably right about cost.  4 points might be the sweet spot.  6 would probably feel too high.  But Tomax or Rhymer with MMP just look like... kinda fun.  Probably more fun than good, but still.

13 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

MMP could be put on an aggressor with a turret for some truly disgusting arc coverage, but I think the bonus dice might be a mistake vs. just the extra coverage.

Honestly, I can't see it being worth.  The Lock requirements just seem too frustrating, and you already have great coverage with a turret.  Aggressor and K-Wing just have too hard a time getting them to activate, and having easy-access to activating the bonus-dice options.

1 minute ago, Matanui3 said:

Note that Gorgol alone of the Nantex pilots actually does have a mod slot.

He didn't originally, however. He received it in January 2020. I guess they figured Ensnare at I2 isn't super worrisome. Especially since he doesn't have and ability like Sun Fac or Chertek to capitalize on it.

1 hour ago, svelok said:

Range 1-2 & 180' Firing Arc is alot of real estate to ensure you get a shot, even if a squiggly ace tries to get out of dodge.
High likley hood of it being 3 dice, slimmer chance of it being 4 dice is all upside, it surely cant cost less than Concussion missiles which are 4.
5 is abit conservative but might be worth it on droids/high initiave pilots.

4 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

You quoted me saying that it was in the TIE/rb spread. :D 

Anyway, it's in the in-flight report video here at 4:45. Somewhere we have screen captures of it.

Thank you.   I honestly didn't remember about the inflight report.   I watched it on my phone so I didn't squint that hard.  Good to know it has two cannon slots (likely) confirmed, or at least one config does.   Sorry for any confusion.  

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

45 minutes ago, Gupa-nupa said:

Do we think that there will be a sensor slot on these?

Not particularly.  No Sensors in the spread, and that's 7 out of 8 upgrades (and there may be some duplicate upgrade).

swz71_hmp-droid-gunship_overview_01.png

If there is, it'd be like the Hyena, where it isn't common.  Like, whichever one of these probably has a Tactical Relay might have a Sensor, but then it'd probably lack some of the ordnance slots.

1 hour ago, Scum4Life said:

it surely cant cost less than Concussion missiles which are 4.

Conc's are 6, my homie. Perhaps you were thinking of Clusters?

42 minutes ago, Gupa-nupa said:

Do we think that there will be a sensor slot on these?

It will likely be like the Hyena. Maybe one is setup with double cannons, another setup with double missile, another with one of each, and then the final one might have system and relay.

swz71_card_oppressor.png
Onderon Oppressor: Probably the best pipped Gunship in the spread. Testing out sideslips in Vassal and how it moves and allowing the 1 or 3 bank, which is a big deal as the bank maneuver sideslips are probably the best,  and still getting a calc. Or doing any other non red sideslip with a barrel roll that still gives you a calc helps setup for the 2 turn regular maneuver next turn to start following enemy ships you sideslipped the previous turn. 

swz71_card_dgs047.png
DGS-047: Solid ability and pairs great with the i1 Baktoid Drones as 047 can acquire a lock to setup friendlies HMPs for their Networked Aim. From the flavor title of "Adaptive Intelligence" I'm guessing this will be the Tactical Relay carrier of the bunch.

swz71_card_dgs286.png
DGS-286: This one is alright. I can see if you have friendly vultures that are almost dead or being targeted that transferring the calc to 286 can help bank those calcs on a more durable chassis while the Network Calc ships can still use it anyway. Also helps to trigger Sync Laser Cannons (we'll get to that). 

Geonosian Prototype: Honestly doesn't even deserve to be pictured here. It's design is so niche and tied into Ensnare Nantex (which was bad for the game in the first place) and I guess equipping HMPs with Tractor Beams, but there's no way this 2 pip HMP is worth it. 

swz71_upgrade_synced-cannons.png
Synced Laser Cannons: I'd like to do a PSA on this card first. "If you are calculating, the defender does not apply the range bonus." SO that means when the defender rolls defense dice your ship still has to be calculating, meaning still has a calculate token. So if all you have to shoot with this is a single calc token, you probably want to mod your dice which means the range bonus effect won't happen as often as you think. Not saying it's bad because of that, just informing people of that so we can limit future mistakes while playing. Besides that, solid Cannon, probably 6-7 pts. 

swz71_upgrade_multi-missile-pod.png
Multi-Missile Pods: This thing has to be cheap right? Like if it's 4 pts, I don't know if it sees play. Only range 1-2, but gives 180. Attack requires Calc or Lock which limits most other ships that want to take this. It's a bit redundant for the HMP besides it's special effect which will mean unless you reload these (unlikely) you're getting maybe 3 dice twice a game or 3 dice once and 4 dice once. 3 pts seems to make sense here, 2 is probably too cheap? I do think it's a really cool card design wise. 

Concussion Bomb: I don't care about it enough currently. Solid effect and has 3 charges, but dribbles out unless you reload off the first drop which is unlikely. Not much to say until points come out and compare to other bomb costs. 

Edited by RStan

2 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

Conc's are 6, my homie. Perhaps you were thinking of Clusters?

It will likely be like the Hyena. Maybe one is setup with double cannons, another setup with double missile, another with one of each, and then the final one might have system and relay.

Yes was thinking of Cluster Missiles.

One less charge but ability to double shoot, no 180 arc or 4 die bullseye, but also range 1-2.

I was hoping that they might do this (variable upgrades on different pilots).

1 hour ago, kris40k said:

swz71_card_oppressor.png

These guys going to get a crew slot and new droid crew?

Probably it'd be droids as a remote. You can deploy them, and when they're not deployed, they do something. Only equippable by the HMP, and the Droch-class boarding vessel.