Jarval

Rule the Skies - HMP Droid Gunship preview up

4 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

I feel quite meh about synced cannons on IGs. The card will be priced for its utility on the HMP, adding an attack die. For IG, you'll be paying the same just to remove a R3 defence die.

Now ofc, IG-B can double tap it, but having to miss first makes for a so-so ability. You're getting a slightly more reliable 3 die attack, but only if the 1st manages to strip a token. That can be counter played, taking one damage to turn off the follow up is feelsbad for IG.

It's neat, but I imagine it's going to seem 1 or 2 points too much for them.

MMP and Dorsal on TIE Aggressors... you won't have a lot of time, but it will almost all be on target.

Emon with Conc bombs.... Oh baby, such casual filth.

Completely random idea. A cheap V-Wing strafing in on a Conc run, might be a fun little flanker. 

I reckon it will be 7 points.

IG-88 B might be better with Ion Cannon to work at range 1 or with Autoblasters for the low cost.

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

I feel quite meh about synced cannons on IGs. The card will be priced for its utility on the HMP, adding an attack die. For IG, you'll be paying the same just to remove a R3 defence die.

Now ofc, IG-B can double tap it, but having to miss first makes for a so-so ability. You're getting a slightly more reliable 3 die attack, but only if the 1st manages to strip a token. That can be counter played, taking one damage to turn off the follow up is feelsbad for IG.

It's neat, but I imagine it's going to seem 1 or 2 points too much for them.

What if they price it cheaper on larger bases?

Not saying they will, but it’s an extant possibility that might make sense.

Whether or not it would be a good combo with IGB, it feels like something that ought to be somewhat usable.

Edited by CoffeeMinion

5 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Are you sure? I would think of it as three separate triggers. Hmmm, you may be right...

It is only one trigger on my opinion: a ship makes a maneuver, check for bullseye, trigger met? -then a charge may be spent, bullseye ship gets a lock. It can however be used three times a turn every turn since all the charges refresh. Your low initiative clankers can still get locks for their missiles or to fuel the networked aim on later moving ships. I very much doubt Kalani will let three ships get a lock on the same ship after it makes a single maneuver. 

I also see this as triggering before the ship does any reposition actions.

Edited by Frimmel

3 hours ago, Scum4Life said:

I reckon it will be 7 points.

IG-88 B might be better with Ion Cannon to work at range 1 or with Autoblasters for the low cost.

I’d pay 6 for it on the IGs for better damage than ion and ability to just shoot with it at r3 in the first place to hopefully hit the first time when they have no range bonus. Or if it misses? Try a second time.

10 hours ago, svelok said:

cannons in the brute. what could you possibly need MMP for?

HMPs would maybe pay 3 points for it and they don't need locks or a passive sensors tax.

TIE Bombers, punishers, and Aggressors all have two missiles.   As well as the Alpha Class Starwing.  

10 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

With the Brute. The Synced cannons are in the TIE/rb spread, and that ship can calculate.

Has it been confirmed it has two cannon slots?   

12 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Concussion Bombs:  "When this device detonates, each ship and remote at range 0–1 is dealt a facedown damage card. Then, each ship at range 0–1 must expose a damage card unless it gains a strain token."

i too am NOT a fan of these damage effects for Concussion Bombs. Its too similar to 1.0 unfun shenanigans. 

Please FFG. Tell us the article is wrong.

2 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Has it been confirmed it has two cannon slots?  

As matanui said, all we know is that the tie brute includes this cannon card. It could be quickbuild-only, but it is likely that the ship either has two cannon slots or a config which grants a second cannon slot

7 hours ago, Rossetti1828 said:

The dial is horrible without Repulsorlifts, so it depends whether the Configuration is free or not.

Compare it to the Auzituck, the other small base with 180deg forward arc. DMP has a 5forward, 1banks and 3 banks are red, but that sweet "interceptor" blue 2hard. That's not horrible, that's fair for the fixed forward arc ships.

It really is going to come down to points cost and some rules interaction (From what I understand, you can't alter this from drop to launch, because you MUST drop them after the first charge, but that might be wrong!), but while this is spooky, it seems pretty clear to me that aces and swarms are getting old and more and more cards have been teased that are going to try to break that dynamic up, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is 'pushed.'

A few other cards seem to indicate a frustration with the inability to get things other than mega-aces and swarms to work due to the amount of 'proactive-power' being pushed into missed attacks and non-attacks (I am thinking Starbird Slash, Patience, and Suppressive Gunner). And this card is pretty darn mean to mega-aces (it ignores all their defensive tools and doesn't care about your informational advantage from initiative, and if you fly into this thing's rear arc straight on like an ace might your in for a very rough next 3 turns either taking an auto-crit, holding strain, or doing a blue to clear strain and likely eating another bomb again) and swarms (it scales with targets hit like all bombs, but also creates a long term disruption to everyone's ability to fly in formation).

Furthermore, hyperspace and dynamic pricing both exist to allow experimentation in a manner that doesn't result in 1.0 shenanigans going crazy. It allows something wild to be printed in one set with the knowledge that if its popular it can stick around forever, and if its not it can go away, which is the main point of even having a rotation in the first place other than selling more content. So this coming out at a level where its clearly at least 'kinda good' wouldn't be a nightmare even if it isn't the X-wing people want to play forever. Different 'eras' of hyper-space are only going to feel different from each other if different kinds of powerful effects can exist.

Or it could come out at some ridiculous points value and you run 4 of these just cuz on a ship that can reload to just fly around in circles just tossing these things out too but hopefully that won't be the case. There IS good reason to be leery about this, but its unlike anything from 1.0, the damage done can't be permanent unless they refuse to emergency points fix it and its such a huge NPE it kills the game within 6 months, which seems... unlikely for an effect such as this.

Edited by dezzmont

9 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Okay how many HMPs? I feel like these could be fun with multiple. 3? 

9 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Could they be as low as 33?  This is roughly the statline and arc coverage of a Y-Wing with Dorsal Turret, and those are 31-32.

At 33 or lower, just get 6 HMPs and wreck face.  

6 HMPs can spread their locks around such that every enemy ship have 1 or more locks to ensure you have constant mods (1 or more reroll) for your attacks no matter who you are attacking + your calculate token. And once the enemy ships starts to go down you concentrate your locks on the remaining ships, inaffect increasing your firepower against the remaining enemy squad. Fly against 2-3 ace squads you are practically going to be able to reroll all your red dice offensively.

6 HMPs with their 180 degree attack arc and 2-turn side-slip are going to have massive time on target, sure only 2 red dice, but when you like the nantex, just side slip around their ships and attack at range 1 with 3 dice and free modifiers, it is going to be glorious. 6 times 180 degree attack arc are also going to be very difficult for an ace player to dodge. 

6 HMPs are 5 hull+3 shields that is a wopping 48 hitpoints(!) for the enemy to chew through, even at 1 agility. 

In summary, preorder 6 HMPs (points-depending).

45 minutes ago, dezzmont said:

(From what I understand, you can't alter this from drop to launch, because you MUST drop them after the first charge, but that might be wrong!),

You then simply use the Trajectory Simulator replacement effect to replace the drop you are about to do with a launch, and it's all good.

48 minutes ago, dezzmont said:

if you fly into this thing's rear arc straight on like an ace might your in for a very rough next 3 turns

Or you could treat it like something with a Proton Bomb.  While it's true the effect is a bit worse for aces than actual protons, you still don't want Soontir, etc taking any of those and should plan to plan.  Plus, if they don't reload that first bomb, you KNOW where the other two will be, so you can use your ace maneuverability to not be there.
Yes, if you can get six of them with these bombs, that's easier said than done, but similar could be done with Protons or Bomblets anyway, while being less predictable with the actual bomb placements.

12 hours ago, 97Starvipper said:

Please no. Cova -Leia is enough of a problem as is...

How really do you define Cova - Leia as a problem?

It's certainly not top teir, or overpowered. A good peice sure but I would not define it as a problem. 

Adding the cannon slot would not impact Cova's ability, its on primary weapons only.

However the other transports aren't seeing play because they are lacking as support craft, can't tank and they have low offence to make any acey offender think twice. All of which is why Cova stands out, because its ability counters most of those issues.

An additional cannon slot would help the offence and maybe Nodin or the generics might see play. The transports are thematically refitted B-wings so it would make sense.

3 hours ago, dezzmont said:

while this is spooky, it seems pretty clear to me that aces and swarms are getting old and more and more cards have been teased that are going to try to break that dynamic up, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is 'pushed.'

A few other cards seem to indicate a frustration with the inability to get things other than mega-aces and swarms to work

There IS good reason to be leery about this, but its unlike anything from 1.0, the damage done can't be permanent unless they refuse to emergency points fix it and its such a huge NPE it kills the game within 6 months, which seems... unlikely for an effect such as this.

I very much appreciate this thinking.

If future developments open a window for me to fly the kooky squads I like, then I'm all for it.

The meta development is key. While it's unlikely I'll end up constantly facing and getting wrecked by these new things, the threat of them suppressing the preponderance of mega aces and swarms means I'll also face less of those. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

3 hours ago, Sciencius said:

6 HMPs can spread their locks around such that every enemy ship have 1 or more locks to ensure you have constant mods (1 or more reroll) for your attacks no matter who you are attacking + your calculate token. 

6 HMPs are 5 hull+3 shields that is a wopping 48 hitpoints(!) for the enemy to chew through, even at 1 agility. 

This for me is the spooky bit. Constant time on target with soft double mods and a predictable health drop off is just all win. The Republic may be able to muster similar.

4 hours ago, Sciencius said:

6 HMPs can spread their locks around such that every enemy ship have 1 or more locks to ensure you have constant mods (1 or more reroll) for your attacks no matter who you are attacking + your calculate token. And once the enemy ships starts to go down you concentrate your locks on the remaining ships, inaffect increasing your firepower against the remaining enemy squad. Fly against 2-3 ace squads you are practically going to be able to reroll all your red dice offensively.

6 HMPs with their 180 degree attack arc and 2-turn side-slip are going to have massive time on target, sure only 2 red dice, but when you like the nantex, just side slip around their ships and attack at range 1 with 3 dice and free modifiers, it is going to be glorious. 6 times 180 degree attack arc are also going to be very difficult for an ace player to dodge. 

In summary, preorder 6 HMPs (points-depending).

Republic Y-Wing is 33 with Dorsal and R4 for a solid dial.  They don't have better-FCS (if they can add DRK-1 to 6 HMPs, massive face wrecks!), but are more crit-resistant, and have full focus tokens.  Same 2/1/5/3 statline with 180 degrees of firing arc

Defensively, the TIE/sf has about the same statline (better against 2 dice, worse against 3).  Both of these ships can just fly-past someone and get free 3-dice range 1 shots.

Sideslip is... who knows?  It's got to be telegraphed well in advance, and it shuts off your normal banks/turns, so it'll need to be felt out on table over time.

I wouldn't preorder 6, since points probably won't be out until after the preorder phase has passed, but I wouldn't be surprised about a 6 HMP list... I dunno, I just kinda think Dorsal Ys and vanilla SFs are maybe a bit under-rated.

8 hours ago, Matanui3 said:

It would be strange to have the card if it can't use it.  I guess you could make a case for Quick-Build syndrome, but that would piss so many people off.

6 hours ago, gadwag said:

As matanui said, all we know is that the tie brute includes this cannon card. It could be quickbuild-only, but it is likely that the ship either has two cannon slots or a config which grants a second cannon slot

Sorry, I'm completely missing where it was said this (synced laser cannon) comes with the TIE Brute.   Which article/preview showed this?

37 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Sorry, I'm completely missing where it was said this (synced laser cannon) comes with the TIE Brute. Which article/preview showed this?

You quoted me saying that it was in the TIE/rb spread. :D 

Anyway, it's in the in-flight report video here at 4:45. Somewhere we have screen captures of it.