Sign in to follow this  
dustin5

Why I love my gaming group!

So, we finished up our sessions of Dark Heresy a month ago to take a break and play another game for a month. It ended with my psker (Cromwell) walking up to the big bad who was turning into a gateway to the void. He had these tarot-like cards spinning around him and hardly anything could get throw without getting chopped up.

So, I unhooked two of my frag grenades and walked right into this guy, burning a fate point to survive getting through the spinning cards of death (sorry, I don't remember what our GM called them). Then proceeded to blow the F#@*K out of me and the big bad, ending my character. I have to tell you the GM was all happy that someone sacrificed himself for the game.

Ironicly, not knowing the rules that well, I thought since I had more Fate points, I might be able to salvage my character, but nope (I was not too disappointed because the scene was really cool and we had fun doing it). I told the rest of the players that I was going to milk this for all it's worth and never let them hear the end of it in our next sessions.

Anyway, this last Saturday when we were starting up the new DH game, I was coming in from the kitchen with the snacks and everyone had these buttons that said "Remember Cromwell's Sacrifice."

AWESOME!

Shiny.

I haven't seen a character voluntarily sacrifice himself in a long time, but it does happen - I remember giving my life so the party could escape one adventure ... only to see them all go back the next session and get themselves killed ... but it is the thought that counts.

This was a first for me, but I will not be doing that again until at least two other players do the same ;) I love my new character more anyway! 

Nice !

I only saw a character sacrifice himself once (he threw himself at a Deadly Fireball of Doom to save the group). The funny thing is the player thought the GM would use his fiat to save the character and got veeery disappointed when he didn't. gran_risa.gif 

My character tends to be a sacrifice a lot, but always manages to walk away(and only once through gm intervention), once he jumped a mutant in a bar full of people to give a guardsman a chance to escape(the guardsman ended up killing everyone else and burning the place to the ground), I took both a bullet , and later an axe wielded by a giant mutant to the face for our interrogator, pushed another player out of the way of a melta bomb, another out of the way of an exploding assassin, and took a nuclear weapon to the face to save a few innocent nobodies. Only the last one actually "killed me" but the gm rewarded me with a second chance at living. No one else in my group comes so close to death nearly so often.

Our GM was not going to let me off that easy and anyway he was really enthused that someone did something like that (because he kind of felt that went with this game). BUT, I really think I came out on top because my new character was allowed to start at the same rank as everyone else and the new character kicks so much more butt!

We all came into Dark Heresy and 40K as Warhammer Fantasy fans. I have to say that after playing this game a lot now and the stuff I have read (novels, Dark Heresy, the history in the 40K Wargame book and a little bit of Rouge Trader), I am not so excited about our WFRP games that we are supposed to be playing after the next adventure (even though the new rules are really interesting). I guess the world of 40K has so much more and this whole mystical dark future just has too much awesome!

Even though I am still trying to wrap my head around all of the 40K goodness, I now really want to check out Rouge Trader too.

This is gonna be a long one, but it's needed for extra badassness

Here we were. We had fought ourselves through an entire base of hereteks. We're just  having an "interview" with the guy in charge of the whole operation. He wasn't suprised to see and acted like nothing strange happened. Turns out our Inquisitor's bestest bud in the whole world, alsi an inquisitor, was helping this guy to get some xeno-tech in exchange for some services. So we play along and try to get as much info as we can. Satisfied with our answers we march out of there when all of a sudden a frickin' eversor shows up.

So we're like WTF is this ****?!  The eversor jumps through a wall and we hear the comforting sounds of ripping bones and flesh coming from the room we just left. So we look for an escape route and we find a kind of manhole. We go through the manhole and end up in some kind of sewer-like place with no clear exit except for one big ass door. So our assassin tries to open the door when suddenly we hear a calm voice saying "I wouldn't to that if i were you, that door leads to the inside of a forge".   Turn's out there's two throne agents  of Augustus. Deemus, a psyker and Garmik his near hulking size guardsman. We're barely rank 3 btw.

We ask them what they're doing here and deemus calmly answers "taking care of 6 little problems", guess how much members our group has, so we don't hesitate and attack. So during our fight it turns out Garmik has a daemon bolter and sword and more thougness than most guardsman would have and Deemus summons 6 kineblades.

After a suprisingly "easy" battle my character tries to sever garmik's head from his body, just to make sure he's dead but every melee weapon he uses melts down after getting halfway. I'm a psyker with hatred daemons so at this moment I'm in a little frenzy about Garmik's deamon weapons. Our cleric is doing the same you with our friend Deemus but he's more succesfull :D

So I decide that I'm not leaving until these daemon weapons are destroyed, especially since the bolter grew a mouth and is "crawling" around trying to bite people. So our assassin takes his changes with the door and it turns out it's a shaft to the surface. So everybody starts climbing up, except a now half frenzied psyker wacking a bolter with debry and our techpriest trying to calm him down. Half way the shaft they're able to contact our inquisitor who tells us to gtfo because his good bud augustus is trying to kill him and has send an eversor after us. After informing him about the daemon weapon they're told to use bombs, lots of bombs.

So our cleric heads back to tell the news.

In the mean time me and the techpriest notice something moving in the dark, and i'm like "what now?!" and use my only weapon left, stub revolver, shoot. The thing in the dark dodges with lightning speeds and slowly approaches. Guess who? Eversor :D

So I make some willpower test and keep rolling numbers like 02, 04, 05 and I decide to stay put. I force the techpriest to go and he starts running. This piques the interest of the Eversor who chases him and fires his executioner pistol and hits my buddy in the back. He was pretty okay for being hit by a boltshell. I Barely spasm the eversor giving my buddy the time to escape. The eversor stands up and directs his attention to me. I throw my stub revolver to the ground and jump for the closest weapon I can find, which is the daemonsword, I barely manage to keep  it under control and stand ready to slash the eversor. It jumps at me and I use my readied action for my last attack. GM stated that if I make a called shot to the head and he t dodge it there's a pretty big chance to insta-kill it because of the force of it's own jump. I make the test and while the daemonic sword pierces, failed his dodge with 1 point, the eversor's head I get slashed up by 8 attacks. The eversor explodes and I fly several feet in the air before hitting the ground with a wet thud.  Deynomeas is no more.

Then my GM states that if I burn a fate point there's a chance I'll survive. That suprised me. So I gladly burn and against all odds I survive... So our techpriest returns because of the explosion and manages to keep me alive with a succesfull medicae test. They manage to destroy the daemon weapons with some frag grenades and we leave.

The end result? I'm now one eye, both arms and a lung lighter with my other lung damaged and my heart barely hanging on. I am however some brain damage, a minor delusion(hearing voices) , a infection because of inadequate medical equipment , and the enemy (officio assassinorum) talent for destroying a multi-billion throne eversor, richer.

So despite surviving I'm still death...it only takes till they find me...

But it was totally worth it  :D

Santiago said:

If someone does a suicide bomber on an enemy, he's dead if he does not survive the initial damage.
Sacrifice means sacrifice, I wouldn't allow it~!!!

TFTD: "A sacrifice where nothing is sacrificed sacrifices the idea of sacrifice and ends up being no sacrifice at all.  Also, 'sacrifice!' because you can never say 'sacrifice' enough."

Dustin said:

Our GM was not going to let me off that easy and anyway he was really enthused that someone did something like that (because he kind of felt that went with this game). BUT, I really think I came out on top because my new character was allowed to start at the same rank as everyone else and the new character kicks so much more butt!

We all came into Dark Heresy and 40K as Warhammer Fantasy fans. I have to say that after playing this game a lot now and the stuff I have read (novels, Dark Heresy, the history in the 40K Wargame book and a little bit of Rouge Trader), I am not so excited about our WFRP games that we are supposed to be playing after the next adventure (even though the new rules are really interesting). I guess the world of 40K has so much more and this whole mystical dark future just has too much awesome!

Even though I am still trying to wrap my head around all of the 40K goodness, I now really want to check out Rouge Trader too.

Hell, if you were in my game, i would have given your new character an extra Fate Point... call it inherited karma. :-) After all, those kinds of actions totally deserve Fate Points, but then again, you can't give one to a dead man (else said dead man wouldn't be dead and then where's the sacrifice? <--you really can't say that word enough!) and since they're pretty much a meta-game tool, why not just move it along to the players next character after all? Maybe you should politely nudge your GM if he's looking for a way to further reward you for the contribution and all...

Dustin said:

You have one brutal GM! sorpresa.gif

Yeah, I guess I was a bit brutal there ^^

But Bing did get his fate point back right after burning it, the whole party got one too for a job mighty well done.
The Eversor was meant to scare the acolytes, never to destroy one. However Bing started shooting the guy when he had the chance to back down and get out. The Assassin, having been ordered to do so, would have been too busy tearing up the daemon weapons to notice them slipping away.

But Bing'll be fine, he's got some spunky bionics from a stranded Magos Secutor in exchange for helping him off-planet, and from what I've heard from his player Bing will be going for the biomancy path to regenerate all those lost limbs and organs ;)