theBitterFig

Concentrate Your Fire - LAAT Preview

1 minute ago, Hippie Moosen said:

I just hope barrage rockets makes it into this pack. In the spread from the wave announcement I do recall that new double missile upgrade being present, so it's probably safe to assume the LAAT has two missile slots, but I don't think BR was visible. It would be really nice to have at least one copy of it in there.

Yet another reason the K-Wing, TIE Bomber, Punisher, Aggressor, and Gunboat desparately need rereleases.

Has anything been re-released that can carry them?

Edited by ClassicalMoser

2 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

I just hope barrage rockets makes it into this pack. In the spread from the wave announcement I do recall that new double missile upgrade being present, so it's probably safe to assume the LAAT has two missile slots, but I don't think BR was visible. It would be really nice to have at least one copy of it in there.

I think the 14 upgrades have already been revealed so... no barrage rockets. Not 100% sure but I think so. On the other hand, no modifications revealed so will it have mod slot? I hope so, specially for sync console shenanigans. 

12 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Yet another reason the K-Wing, TIE Bomber, Punisher, Aggressor, and Gunboat desparately need rereleases.

Has anything been re-released that can carry them?

cannot agree more with the first bit. As for other potential carriers, I don't think so, so hopefully they'll be forthcoming. 

8 minutes ago, xanatos135 said:

I think the 14 upgrades have already been revealed so... no barrage rockets. Not 100% sure but I think so. On the other hand, no modifications revealed so will it have mod slot? I hope so, specially for sync console shenanigans. 

Aw man. Well proxy is always an option I suppose. Maybe it's in that card pack that was all ordinance stuff? If it is and isn't coming with the LAAT I guess one of those packs will be in my future as well.

Edited by Hippie Moosen

43 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

cannot agree more with the first bit. As for other potential carriers, I don't think so, so hopefully they'll be forthcoming. 

Aw man. Well proxy is always an option I suppose. Maybe it's in that card pack that was all ordinance stuff? If it is and isn't coming with the LAAT I guess one of those packs will be in my future as well.

I believe it was in Hot Shots and Aces. 

4 hours ago, xanatos135 said:

Not officially revealed but the announcement article had the spread. We have ten in this latest article and it looked to me like Agile Gunner, Concussion Missiles, Ion Missiles, and the new Multi-missile Pods are shown in the announcement article are the other four for the fourteen upgrades in the pack. No barrage rockets. 

So 2 missile slots seems pretty likely. Do you all think it'll be a 2 crew slot ship? And how about gunners, I'm assuming just 1 but anyone think it might have 2? These buses do have a lot of weapons pointed in a lot of directions after all.

Edited by Hippie Moosen

5 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

And how about gunners, I'm assuming just 1 but anyone think it might have 2?

What wacky things could one do with two gunners? It having two gunners might be a good way to make me look like an idiot for saying its definitely a '2 of at most' ship, because that might allow for some nonsense down the road. On first blush Ghost Company+hotshot/suppressive gunner might be a fun jank build for the ship.

5 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

Do you all think it'll be a 2 crew slot ship?

Almost certainly. It is, after all, a transport ship. That combined with two gunners might lead to funny situations with the crew+gunner cards.

Edited by dezzmont

Seems to me two missile slots since the multi-missile needs two. One gunner, two crew slots. Two gunner slots seems unlikely. Doubling up on any of the new gunners seems like it would make a mess. The crew/gunner cards though are what push me on two crew. Equip one of those and a Jedi or Rex feels probable. Two gunner would certainly be interesting. 

Rex is a gunner not crew. 

Edited by Frimmel
Mistake on Rex

With 2 gunners, 2 crew, the plan would be to joust it off the table before the game descends into a rules ref quagmire.

It'd have some real interesting build options though. Filling all the slots would very likely be an awful idea, points wise, but varying (sensible) combos would be fun to explore.

Edited by Cuz05

I wonder if it is worth it to combine with Sinker. Sinker gets to double mod a 3 red shot from the LAAT, and then the LAAT aids anyone who needs to re-roll 2 dice, while Sinker helps out the rest of the list, including the LAAT, with 1 re-roll.

You can run Warthog, Sinker, 2 Torrets, and a CTL jedi together in one list. That comes out to 13 pre-evasion damage at range 2 and has 34 HP, and it can't be I-killed. For perspective, oldschool beef with both B-wings dealt 12.3 and had 30 HP, though it had better punch-through and the health was more concentrated and generally behind better defenders.

This is probably not an optimized list, but the LAAT pretty clearly has a lot of potential if a republic brawling list is ever close to viable, which it obviously should be with the brawlers it has. The main limiter right now is mostly how many Republic characters natively get re-rolls or locks already, specifically named clones.

Also, the reason its not at 50 on the nose is almost certainly to prevent you from running 2 with 4 Torrents, for 40 HP and 8 double modded attack dice backed up by 4 single modded ones.  You can run it with two ARCs, two torrets, with plenty of space for upgrades though, and 38 HP.

A lot of the LAAT's price seems centered in the fact it is a dummy thick extremely tough ship that provides a lot of offensive power to the list in the form of extreme alpha strike. You can almost imagine its charges as if it was giving someone torp tier damage if they had 3 dice (As your expected pre-evasion damage is only .2 off from opening up with a single moded proton torp if you double mod a 3 dicer with this thing). 

Edited by dezzmont

Thonk.

Ship Ability- 2 very important, limiting things to note. The charges only regen 1 at a time. Enemy has to be in the LAATs arc.

There is a lot of play just in that. You can obviously hand out 2 sets of rerolls as a nice alpha enabler. But you'll need to budge everything up pretty nicely in order to get all 3 arcs where you want them. Opponent range controlling/arc dodging can put a big dent in the investment. 

If you do land it all, you now only have 1 reroll to dish out. Your LAAT is necessarily in the mix to use it, if you need an action, or if you stress from reinforcing, your coverage and support will be hard to leverage against shy aces or clusterfudge swarms. This is when the LAAT may explode, so you'll have to have things in place to work with that.

It is powerful, and likely worth the points, but you have no option not to pay for it. Getting that ability in play and paying off is likely not going to be terribly simple, but important to manage well, if it's going to pull it's weight.

I think it becomes a limiting factor in what you do in any other sense, as in putting upgrades on it that you intend to use.

Hawk- Being so situational and prone to blocks at I4, I'm a little out on him being the most expensive. Possibly a placeholder price until they see what nonsense shakes out, certainly might be some decent possibilities. I4 can make good use of the missed shot mechanics available, so maybe there's something in that.

Warthog- I thought he'd be the dearest. The ability speaks for itself and I3 is sooo good for matching activations with other great ships in the faction. I expect him to be the best choice in most cases.

Hound- With no good way of clearing red tokens, aside from 1/2 straight to victory, you might be looking at pure support and accepting the fact that he never rolls any dice. But only if you have some synergy going on with the token sharing. I'm eyeing CLT Plo, Patience and 7FG for some good Bro action.... Otherwise, you're chucking him in instead of the generic because you have a spare point that goes nowhere and it may come up, or be played into.

212th- Does what it says on the tin. Seems more than a 3pt downgrade on Warthog, but there's some extra on switching down to I2 for some synergy effects and blocks.

Aayla- focus into coord is freaking amazing. But you are paying 5pt over Palp for the focus and losing some of his text utility. Because she really doesn't have much there. Begs the question, how much do you need that focus?

Likewise, if you want your LAAT to coord, at a 16pt investment, are you using, or risking losing early, the ship ability you've already paid decently for.

I'm unconvinced it will prove an efficient spend for the effect on a LAAT. Maybe R2-D2 Y might like her more?

Perhaps accompanying 2 true aces, when you need all the fire support you can get, she'll have some game.

Yoda- Wait for the Actis. Your LAAT/ARC does not need 2 force. You want his coord, take Palp and save points. Edge case in throwing a Delta an evade, if you want to joust with it or chuck it into a scrum for some Choppering. Maybe has some cute things going on with Ahsoka Delta...

Kit Fisto- 9pt is good for a force token. Likely better using it than ever spending it for the text. Stress for evade is so-so trade.

Plo- I really rate this card. 10pt is still good for force, but the ability looks fantastic for all round damage mitigation on chonky bois. Put him on Warthog and you really have brought some prime beef.

Fives- I look forward to playing around with him, 3pt seems really good value. It may take some thinking to make the most of him, but he's cheap enough to include without bending over backwards. I want to use him with Ghost Company....

Rex- Nice price again. CLT could love this.

Suppressive Gunner- Honestly not sure what to make of this. Favours high Init? Costly too, damage/deplete is a rotten choice for most things to have to make, so possibly justified. Seems too pricey to put on a low Init platform, too limited for high Init. Tempted to try it on Scum Han.

Ghost Company- I'm in on these boys. Brawl mode activated. Really cheap for a double tap. Rotate into focus is a great option to have. Stress is not ideal, but mitigated partially thanks to the rotate. If you need to throw the ship in to make good use of the ability, then this helps it contribute to all the punching. Likely goes well with various shot mechanics, spreading a range of effects around your squad, or theirs.

Wolfpack- Man, all the clones seem nicely priced. Have not thought about this one much, but as mentioned above, may play nice with Synced Console, missiles and Torrents. Thats not really my thing, the strain cost puts me off using it in any of the combos I've been looking at.

Missile Pods- yeah, not bothering with them.

My 1st run will be CLT Plo, 2x 104th, 212th with Ghost and 7FG.

Alternatively, Warthog with 7FG, 2x Squad Sevens.

More alternatively, CLT Obi so Plo can catch a lift into battle.

Even more alternatively, CLT Knights in for the ARCs. More stuff to play around with but less protection for the LAAT. Squad balance may be off a little.

Edited by Cuz05

Just to point out, Palp is 14 points so Yoda is only one point more and Aayla only two. I don't know if that changes your thinking. 

Otherwise I'm mostly in agreement. Though as a heavy user of Torrents Wolfpack has me drooling. Also, Ghost Company and Commander Cody seems like a fun combination. 

6 minutes ago, Pa Weasley said:

Just to point out, Palp is 14 points so Yoda is only one point more and Aayla only two. I don't know if that changes your thinking. 

Ah, doh, I'm thinking Emperor Palps, lol.

It does change things a bit. Who doesn't want a 1 or 2pt focus?!

I mean, my other thoughts might still hold up, but if you do want a coord on the platform, then it's a reasonable array of choices.

Edited by Cuz05

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

Aayla- focus into coord is freaking amazing. But you are paying 5pt over Palp for the focus and losing some of his text utility. Because she really doesn't have much there. Begs the question, how much do you need that focus?

Likewise, if you want your LAAT to coord, at a 16pt investment, are you using, or risking losing early, the ship ability you've already paid decently for.

I'm unconvinced it will prove an efficient spend for the effect on a LAAT. Maybe R2-D2 Y might like her more?

Perhaps accompanying 2 true aces, when you need all the fire support you can get, she'll have some game.

I'd mostly been thinking of her on an ARC to make the most of the Focus token.  Aggressive support. Wolffe probably for Focus + Reroll + Coordinate, but Oddball at Init 5 has merit.  Is that a 66 point ship, paired with a 7B (Mace? Obi?) and a pocket ace like a CLT Plo or Ric?  Torpedo Ric might really love a coordinate...

Eh, maybe not.  I don't think she really makes sense on a Y or LAAT, since they can't really leverage the focus token well enough.

Edited by theBitterFig

25 minutes ago, Pa Weasley said:

And Odd Ball (ARC) loves him some Kit. 

Well of course I forgot Oddball was a thing :D

Seems a natural home.

and Aayla Wolffe for focus usage is a neat fit. 

With either of these though, points put on an ARC are generally high risk. But perhaps not without merit.

Well, I think the LAAT is absurdly overcosted. I know is because the support ability, but I don't see any reason to take this ship instead of Sinker.

The LAAT rolls two attack dice. One less die to buff the rest of the squad. Maybe is ok if you can fit strong ships, but no, with that price, you can't. And if you want a swarm, Sinker is better.

I'm a bit disappointed. Crew cheap and an expensive chassis. It's the opposite of what I expected.

44 minutes ago, Pa Weasley said:

I like that there's coordinate options depending on what you intend to do with the list.  Flexibility is a fine thing. 

And Odd Ball (ARC) loves him some Kit. 

Well, when we get the Aces and Oddballs pack, it'll probably be good for him in the LAAT too.

Give us oddball on every ship, cowards.

Can't help myself. All the things. I have no idea how to fly it.

(55) "Hawk" [Laat/i Gunship] (5) Ghost Company (10) Plo Koon (4) Clone Commander Cody (1) Synchronized Console. Points: 75

(50) "Wolffe" [ARC-170 Starfighter] (16) Aayla Secura. Points: 66

(49) "Odd Ball" [ARC-170 Starfighter] (9) Kit Fisto (1) Synchronized Console. Points: 59

Total points: 200