Sign in to follow this  
Schmoozies

New fiction - The Last Leaf Falls

Also... can we talk about how Shoju's "coup" this time (at least so far) is just a bunch of sad coincidences piled atop each other, as opposed to Togashi giving the poor guy a pointlessly cryptic prophecy while also having him goaded by an evil sword into open and unquestionable treason?

1 hour ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Also... can we talk about how Shoju's "coup" this time (at least so far) is just a bunch of sad coincidences piled atop each other, as opposed to Togashi giving the poor guy a pointlessly cryptic prophecy while also having him goaded by an evil sword into open and unquestionable treason?

I feel this is an improvement.  Shoju is a tragic hero in many ways, very like the Greek tragedies.

2 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

Right? I mean if a prophecy says the Last Hantei will bring the return of Fu Leng, then just make sure the Hantei are breeding like rabbits 😂

I mean that would have been the reasonable response.  But since the coup was a fait accompli background story from the previous version of the game and the various attempts to try and justify Shoju's actions as more then just a power play were after the fact it is what it is.

Well, yes, otherwise we wouldn’t have DRAMA. Just imagine if Gandalf’s plan to get rid of the One Ring was to have Frodo drop it from the back of a Great Eagle while other Great Eagles screened for the Nazgûl-Birds!!!

31 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Point is, I am here for new lore Shoju. I feel so, so bad for the guy- he has done nothing out of selfishness, malice, or ambition (so far). If anything, and I love this when it comes to a Scorpion leader, his mistakes have been in trusting people.

Especially his wife.

By now, it's pretty apparent that the Scorpion, who have been on top of the heap when it comes to standing in the Empire, have met their own, most implacable enemy--themselves.

21 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

It makes you wonder how the next events (Clan War, Second Day of Thunder, etc) will be reimagined while still staying true to the original storyline.

Edited by Agrivar

7 hours ago, Agrivar said:

It makes you wonder how the next events (Clan War, Second Day of Thunder, etc) will be reimagined while still staying true to the original storyline.

EXACTLY!

Don't be afraid of 'redoing' the old storyline. They can elevate it.

9 minutes ago, KakitaKaori said:

EXACTLY!

Don't be afraid of 'redoing' the old storyline. They can elevate it.

In the Legend of the Five Rings reddit, in the thread were they are talking about "The Last Leaf Falls" fiction, I found this comment which I think it sums quite well what it can be achieved with the redoing the old storyline:

"It's ending up at the same destination but the trip there was so much better."

Edited by Agrivar

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

....and off to one side, the Kolat are just looking on awestruck.

"This is...did we plan this?"

"No...actually we tried to stop it. No idea why, this is awesome."

"I know. Pass the mochi, will you?"

I'm seeing it more like Satoshi doing an "Everything is coming up Milhouse impression"

And as Imperial Herald, it would shame the entire Miya family if he revealed such a stain on the Hantei name.

Even were he the most honourable samurai ever, he would struggle to speak. Better to remain silent and respect the late Emperor’s wishes as best as possible. Get Daisetsu back, quietly stuff Sotorii into a monastery, and let Shoju worry about the Clans as Regent.

Hmm best friend of a monarch dying under dubious circumstances is called to handle a Regency and is undone by circumstances and the machinations of a calculative woman 🤔... 

I think the ASOIAF influence in the ffg's story telling of l5r is fully assumed. No plagiarism, but similar flavor in scope and dramaturgy. 

4 minutes ago, Nitenman said:

Hmm best friend of a monarch dying under dubious circumstances is called to handle a Regency and is undone by circumstances and the machinations of a calculative woman 🤔... 

I think the ASOIAF influence in the ffg's story telling of l5r is fully assumed. No plagiarism, but similar flavor in scope and dramaturgy. 

Since when was Littlefinger a woman?  Also, it would need to be Kisada for things to be truly parallel.

10 hours ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Even were he the most honourable samurai ever, he would struggle to speak. Better to remain silent and respect the late Emperor’s wishes as best as possible. Get Daisetsu back, quietly stuff Sotorii into a monastery, and let Shoju worry about the Clans as Regent.

With both remaining Hantei Princes.....erm..."somewhere", though, it's a golden opportunity for people with more nefarious intent to ensure that neither of them make it back to the capital.

6 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

With both remaining Hantei Princes.....erm..."somewhere", though, it's a golden opportunity for people with more nefarious intent to ensure that neither of them make it back to the capital.

Geez, I don't envy the guys who get to hunt down Daisetsu because the kid likely has the friggin' Celestial Dragon tucked way in one of the amulets his waifu is carrying. 

On 9/1/2020 at 10:43 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

Since when was Littlefinger a woman?  Also, it would need to be Kisada for things to be truly parallel.

But that would be plagiarism. I said influence, not full parallel. 

What a time to make a small break. Sumiko and Toturi just made the mother of all mic drops.

*Does Toturi the Black dance*

Poor Shoju, having the Scorpion Clan Coup just falling on his lap. Kachiko better make sure he and Hametsu die before all this ends, because otherwise she will spend eternity bound to a tree.

On 8/29/2020 at 8:05 PM, Kinzen said:

Though an army is admittedly a rather blunt instrument for that task, so maybe she splits them up.

Hitomi always had a thing for blunt instruments.

3 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

No that was her brother, at least at his last meeting with Yakamo it was

I thought that was more about getting trolled by ->technically<- good advice. AKA "If I die here there is a 50-50 chance that my sister will save the Empire or doom it over my death... What?! WAITAMINUTE!" *crash*