Dwing

Hotshots and Aces V02...A forum wish list.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I really dig that they're unique, and not just Rebel Starvipers.  They've been overpriced for most of 2e, pretty close to OK now, and just about anything that'd make them more like "normal" ships, even if it makes them "better," would make them far less interesting and less cool.

Hard agree, even before you evoked Mr. Rogers.

E-wing needs to lean into being a weird ship. And X-wing needs to lean in harder to weird effects or every meta is going to feel samey.

I would much rather it get some wild ability that makes it feel like a unique presence on the battlefield, but keep its weaknesses and just 'earn' them, than to become another double-repo+mod ace.

Edited by dezzmont

Posted (edited)

for rebels:

x-wing pilots

wes janson

tarn mison: When an enemy ship declares you as the target of an attack, you may acquire a target lock on that ship.

hobbie klivian:When you acquire or spend a target lock, you may remove 1 stress token from your ship.

astromechs:

flight assist astro:You cannot attack ships outside your firing arc.
After you execute a maneuver, if you did not overlap a ship or obstacle and there are no enemy ships inside your firing arc at Range 1-3, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action.

r5-k6:After spending your target lock, roll 1 defense die.
On a  evade result, immediately acquire a target lock on that same ship. You cannot spend this target lock during this attack.

r2-f2:Action: Increase your agility value by 1 until the end of this game round.

r3-a2:When you declare the target of your attack, if the defender is inside your firing arc, you may receive 1 stress token to cause the defender to receive 1 stress token.

m9-g8:Rebel only.
When a ship you have locked is attacking, you may choose 1 attack die. The attacker must reroll that die.
You can acquire target locks on other friendly ships.

targetting astro: After you execute a red maneuver, you may acquire a target lock.

r7-t1:Action: Choose an enemy ship at Range 1-2. If you are inside that ship's firing arc, you may acquire a target lock on that ship. Then, you may perform a free boost action.

r5-p9:At the end of the Combat phase, you may spend 1 of your focus tokens to recover 1 shield (up to your shield value).

Edited by crusaders

1 minute ago, stootchmaster said:

I never played 1st edition, but I hear  Maarek Stele was in the Defender. 

As a fan of the best TIE Advanced pilot NOT named Vader, this is a thing I want to happen again.

I find it is curious that FFG made a pilot card of Maarek Stele piloting one of the few ships he never flew.

(Actually, Maarek piloted the TIE Avenger [in Legends, TIE/ad], the "production model" of Vader's TIE/x1)

12 minutes ago, Odanan said:

I find it is curious that FFG made a pilot card of Maarek Stele piloting one of the few ships he never flew.

(Actually, Maarek piloted the TIE Avenger [in Legends, TIE/ad], the "production model" of Vader's TIE/x1)

Honestly, I'd be fine if they released a Maarek Stele expansion pack, putting him in the cockpit of every ship that he flew.

15 minutes ago, crusaders said:

for rebels:

I think you're really unlikely to see most of these back exactly as they were in first edition. 

Some of them are bad now, some of them were always bad and some of them just play horribly with second edition's balancing. 

16 minutes ago, crusaders said:

tarn mison: When an enemy ship declares you as the target of an attack, you may acquire a target lock on that ship.

I feel sure that some other pilot in 2e has taken this ability, but I can't remember who. 

17 minutes ago, crusaders said:

When you acquire or spend a target lock, you may remove 1 stress token from your ship.

This is and always has been a bad ability on the T-65. There's no way to get stressed and take a lock at the same time, so you're only ever going to be getting the benefit of this if you set up a lock beforehand. 

It only kinda sorta sometimes worked in 1e because of Targeting Astromech, and I don't see that coming back. 

19 minutes ago, crusaders said:

flight assist astro:You cannot attack ships outside your firing arc.
After you execute a maneuver, if you did not overlap a ship or obstacle and there are no enemy ships inside your firing arc at Range 1-3, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action.

The first part of this ability no longer makes sense. No ship in 2e can attack outside it's firing arc. Turret arcs count as firing arcs. So that text would need to go, and if you don't want FAA working on turret ships like the Y-Wing, you'd need to bake in something else as a restriction. 

This sort of free action just doesn't really have a place in 2e, IMO. Yes, you get things like BB-8 but that has a different timing window. This card was meant to give ships like the T-65 a means of barrel rolling that they couldn't do natively. It was also meant to help old ships out when they couldn't keep up with the reposititioning and action economy of newer ships. The T-65 has native barrel roll now, and even native boost with a linked focus action. 

FAA as it was is just way too strong for second edition. 

23 minutes ago, crusaders said:

r5-k6:After spending your target lock, roll 1 defense die.
On a  evade result, immediately acquire a target lock on that same ship. You cannot spend this target lock during this attack.

This was always a terrible astro even in the early days of first edition. It's way too luck dependent for too little gain, and ended up completely superceded by FCS on B-Wings. 

It also never synergised with Garven Dreis, the pilot R5-K6 was supposed to be paired with, because Garven never wants to take locks. 

R5-K6 needs to come back, but he needs to be better, more dependable and synergise with Garven. 

I've suggested elsewhere he should let you spend a focus at the start of engagement to get two calculate tokens. I also think there should be an offset to this, and that you should get a stress token if you trigger this with an enemy ship at range 0-1.

26 minutes ago, crusaders said:

r2-f2:Action: Increase your agility value by 1 until the end of this game round.

The only astro worse than R5-K6. 

This was one of the worst upgrades in all of first edition, because it is mathematically better to use that action to focus instead. Even with PTL about, it's bad. 

My suggestion for 2e R2-F2 is to let you take a red evade action after suffering damage. 

28 minutes ago, crusaders said:

r3-a2:When you declare the target of your attack, if the defender is inside your firing arc, you may receive 1 stress token to cause the defender to receive 1 stress token.

Never going to happen. 

It was cancer in first edition and it would be even worse in second edition. 

R3-A2 was a minor background astro in ESB. 

Let's leave him there. 

29 minutes ago, crusaders said:

m9-g8:Rebel only.
When a ship you have locked is attacking, you may choose 1 attack die. The attacker must reroll that die.
You can acquire target locks on other friendly ships.

You know that this is literally the same as Resistance M9-G8's ability that's already in the game, right? The only difference is that you no longer need the line letting you lock a friendly ship, because that's now just a general rule. 

M9-G8 was a Resistance astro. He's not getting an identical Rebel version. 

30 minutes ago, crusaders said:

targetting astro: After you execute a red maneuver, you may acquire a target lock.

Like Hobbie above, this card was only good because of very specific synergy with Hobbie. 

In 2e, this is just way too easy action economy. Red maneuvers are supposed to have a cost associated with them. Cards like this do too much to nullify that cost. 

Pass. 

32 minutes ago, crusaders said:

r7-t1:Action: Choose an enemy ship at Range 1-2. If you are inside that ship's firing arc, you may acquire a target lock on that ship. Then, you may perform a free boost action.

Make that a red boost and this isn't horrible. 

Only issue I have is that this is basically the E-Wing's linked actions, only the other way round. 

R7-T1 is supposed to be in an E-Wing. He was kinda bad in 1e, and it feels to me like FFG basically integrated his ability into the E-Wing. 

As is, T1's text is horrible on a 2e E-Wing because they can't lock at range 1. 

He only appeared because he was literally the only named E-Wing astromech ever. He was in Luke's E-Wing very briefly, and Luke isn't an E-Wing pilot in 2e. 

I'd much rather get a Whistler astromech that synergises with Corran. What that looks like, I'm not entirely sure. My current undercooked thoughts for Whistler are that he has the standard R2 astromech text and charges, but that he can also spend a charge to remove a disarm token. That might be too powerful though. 

36 minutes ago, crusaders said:

r5-p9:At the end of the Combat phase, you may spend 1 of your focus tokens to recover 1 shield (up to your shield value).

While this might seem ironic next to my suggestion for Whistler, cheap uncapped regen is bad and should stay out of the game. Luke would absolutely love this card, as would most 2e E-Wings. 

9 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

I feel sure that some other pilot in 2e has taken this ability, but I can't remember who. 

Lt. Bastion is the closest thing I can think of.

This is and always has been a bad ability on the T-65. There's no way to get stressed and take a lock at the same time, so you're only ever going to be getting the benefit of this if you set up a lock beforehand. 

I think the spend a lock to remove stress is neat and innocuous enough to port over to 2nd.

The first part of this ability no longer makes sense. No ship in 2e can attack outside it's firing arc. Turret arcs count as firing arcs. So that text would need to go, and if you don't want FAA working on turret ships like the Y-Wing, you'd need to bake in something else as a restriction. 

This sort of free action just doesn't really have a place in 2e, IMO. Yes, you get things like BB-8 but that has a different timing window. This card was meant to give ships like the T-65 a means of barrel rolling that they couldn't do natively. It was also meant to help old ships out when they couldn't keep up with the reposititioning and action economy of newer ships. The T-65 has native barrel roll now, and even native boost with a linked focus action. 

FAA as it was is just way too strong for second edition. 

The is a place for Flight Assist Astromech, but it would need to be converted with 2nd Edition tools. Remove the firing arc as it is kind of obsolete at this point as you said. Make it two charges, small base only (medium maybe), only usable on 1-2 speed maneuvers to prevent combo-ing with Afterburners, and make it only let you take roll or boost actions on you action bar even while stressed. That way you cannot gain actions that you don't have (Sheathipede), and if you have a red roll (Y-Wing or ARC) you would gain a stress for using it.

This was always a terrible astro even in the early days of first edition. It's way too luck dependent for too little gain, and ended up completely superceded by FCS on B-Wings. 

Conditionaly 1st Edition FCS would be okay, but I don't want it in Second Edition.

My suggestion for 2e R2-F2 is to let you take a red evade action after suffering damage. 

With Luke's ability, it might actually be worth taking the agility up version.

Never going to happen. 

R3-A2 was a minor background astro in ESB. Let's leave him there. 

Stressbot needs to stay dead. You can him back, but his ability needs to be reworked. Weaponized stress has largely been done away with in 2nd Edition, or at least been made a choice (0-0-0 or Asajj). It would need to function something like that.

"When you declare a defender, you may gain one stress. If you do, you gain 1 calculate token unless that ship chooses to gain a stress token." Something like that.

You know that this is literally the same as Resistance M9-G8's ability that's already in the game, right? The only difference is that you no longer need the line letting you lock a friendly ship, because that's now just a general rule.

Agreed, M9-G8 exists.

Like Hobbie above, this card was only good because of very specific synergy with Hobbie. 

In 2e, this is just way too easy action economy. Red maneuvers are supposed to have a cost associated with them. Cards like this do too much to nullify that cost. Pass.

It would definitely need second edition restrictions. Maybe "after you execute a red maneuver, you may acquire lock on a ship in your bullseye arc". Oddball-lite can't be OP, right? Or make it charge based. Or both.

Make that a red boost and this isn't horrible. 

Only issue I have is that this is basically the E-Wing's linked actions, only the other way round. 

R7-T1 is supposed to be in an E-Wing. He was kinda bad in 1e, and it feels to me like FFG basically integrated his ability into the E-Wing. 

As is, T1's text is horrible on a 2e E-Wing because they can't lock at range 1. 

That probably good.

27 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

The is a place for Flight Assist Astromech, but it would need to be converted with 2nd Edition tools. Remove the firing arc as it is kind of obsolete at this point as you said. Make it two charges, small base only (medium maybe), only usable on 1-2 speed maneuvers to prevent combo-ing with Afterburners, and make it only let you take roll or boost actions on you action bar even while stressed. That way you cannot gain actions that you don't have (Sheathipede), and if you have a red roll (Y-Wing or ARC) you would gain a stress for using it.

Honestly, I don't think it has any place as a droid.  There's just too much that can go wrong or interact badly with it, even with those restrictions.

As a pilot ability, I'd love to see someone with that text.  A TIE/fo or Scyk or maybe even an X-Wing with the FAA ability would be solid, but as a droid... just no.

I really think FAA was one of the most busted strong cards in 1e.

29 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

Stressbot needs to stay dead. You can him back, but his ability needs to be reworked. Weaponized stress has largely been done away with in 2nd Edition, or at least been made a choice (0-0-0 or Asajj). It would need to function something like that.

"When you declare a defender, you may gain one stress. If you do, you gain 1 calculate token unless that ship chooses to gain a stress token." Something like that.

That'd be pretty potent.  Dutch Vander would love it.  Either he stresses you out, or he gains double-mods for his Torpedo.  Mini-Scum-Han crossed with 0-0-0...

It's at a power level where maybe it could happen, but it's still very good.

3 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:
3 hours ago, crusaders said:

When you acquire or spend a target lock, you may remove 1 stress token from your ship.

It only kinda sorta sometimes worked in 1e because of Targeting Astromech, and I don't see that coming back.

If Hobbie comes back (which I hope he does), he could be an A-wing pilot based on Rebels and I am a strong advocate of Hobbie in an A-wing. 

Lock-->boost.  Spend lock.  Clear stress. Wash, rinse, repeat.

-or-

Focus-->boost.  Dutch lock.  Fire double mod prockets.  Clear stress. 

Looking at the 1.0 templating on FAA just hurts.  I also don’t know what such an astromech would be for - High initiative ships don’t usually need the help, because they already have perfect knowledge, and whether or not a low initiative ship is facing an ace doesn’t necessarily have any bearing on whether that ace can arc dodge or not.

Obi-Wan Kenobi crew for rebels. Double sided with a cute tractor mechanic on one side, and something to do with maximizing force on the other. +1 force point all around. Please FFG?

57 minutes ago, Gupa-nupa said:

Obi-Wan Kenobi crew for rebels. Double sided with a cute tractor mechanic on one side, and something to do with maximizing force on the other. +1 force point all around. Please FFG?

Tractor would make him a bit restrictive. I'd suggest the following.

Obi-Wan 'Ben' Kenobi
(+1 Force charge) At the start of the engagement phase, you may spend a [Force Charge] to discard a red or orange token from a friendly ship at range 0-1.
During the End Phase, you may flip this card.

Obi-Wan 'Ben' Kenobi (Ghost)
(+2 Force charges) At the end of the end phase, you may recover an additional force charge.
or
At the end of the end phase, you may spend a force charge, friendly ships at range 1 - 2 recover an additional force charge if able.

Obi wan helps you get rid of negative tokens, tractor, strain, stress and deplete being the key ones. However on his other side he not only gives you an additional charge, but he either allows his carrier ship to recover 2 force charges per round. OR he can spend a force charge to allow other force users around him to recover an additional charge.

26 minutes ago, Gupa-nupa said:

I've gotta say @Ebak, I like your version a whole lot more. 

Sure, for about 20(more?) points. At least if it has that double recharge ability it needs to be at least that much, otherwise around 14-16 is probably fair.

Scum could use more of their characters in more roles as well.

Boba gunner(he's known how since he was a kid... red lock at start of engagement? or action: drop device? Maybe just take a stress to reroll 1 dice per enemy at r0-1 when attacking).

Asajj crew and/or gunner? (For crew: spend force to ignore stress for your action step, for gunner: spend force when defending to force the attacker to spend a green token or be stressed?).

Fenn Rau crew? (Something coordinate focused maybe? He's a leader. Maybe give focus->red coordinate?)

etc, etc.

Also there's a wealth of characters from the lore that aren't represented yet.

W1-LE (Lando's protocol droid) crew: calculate action(maybe linked to something, red evade?), gain sensor slot (he built sensors buoys).

Dr. Aphra (No idea what she'd do honestly. Maybe allow the ship she's on to have 0-0-0 and BT-1 without taking up additional slots?)

Black Krrsantan gunner (Mechanics? Something aggressive, like turning one eye to a crit).

Garindan gunner (He's a long range sniper, maybe ignore r3 penalty, or turn a blank to an eye).

WOOKIE COMMANDOS

Also wes Janson and all the other X wing pilots from the GR-75 pack in 1.0, maybe with slight changes

Flechette torpedoes (something to do with stress on hit please?)

Cruise missiles (A wings called, they want to propose)

E wing pilots would be cool but not really nessecary

Wes janson

1.0 intensity (free focus or evade after a reposition, but you have to spend a focus or evade later to recharge the ability)

Some new T-70 pilot with 1.0 Poe's ability (probably I4 for balance)

More stress removal/application cards!

I would love to see the other Rogue Squadron pilots. Since we will only get them as E-Wing pilots, more E-Wings please. I would favour some pilot abilities with target lock shenanigans.

I would love to fly Depa Billaba next to Mace Windu.

Posted (edited)
On 8/26/2020 at 6:13 AM, Gupa-nupa said:

- Royal Guard Pilot (generic pilot)

- Royal guard Title. Title that allows for the use of a new tie Interceptor dial with purple maneuvers. Dial would come in the pack together with the base inserts. ( I think FFG will do a royal guard tie at some point, this would be nice to get the content in a card upgrade pack, I already own 3 red ties, I don't want to buy another)

Don't need to include a special dial to do that. Just have the title ability say "Treat your <left Segnor's Loop> and <right Segnor's Loop> advanced maneuvers as purple.".

Or the Title upgrade can be skipped completely and just have it as the pilot ability of the Royal Guard Pilots.

Not really a fan of it though. Roll>Boost, Boost>Roll or focus/evade/lock>any repo off of a S-Loop feels really potent. Likely broken as heck.

Edited by Hiemfire

Posted (edited)
On 8/27/2020 at 6:39 AM, GuacCousteau said:

Never going to happen. 

R3-A2 was a minor background astro in ESB. 

Let's leave him there. 

Just spitballing, but what if R3-A2 read:  "When you would gain a non-Lock red token, you may spend one charge to gain a different non-Lock red token.  You may not gain a token you already have."  It's not quite the same sort of role as in 1E, but it does keep the stress/red token theme.

Unless that's already a thing, in which case never mind.

EDIT:  Wait, forgot disarm tokens.  Should probably re-write it to exclude those, too.

Edited by clockworkspider

On 8/29/2020 at 5:48 PM, Roller of blanks said:

Some new T-70 pilot with 1.0 Poe's ability (probably I4 for balance)

More stress removal/application cards!

I'd rather see Poe's v1 ability come back on a named astromech or title card.