FTS Gecko

Who owns a System Open game mat?

Posted (edited)

Following on from the other game mat thread, who here is the proud owner of an event exclusive play mat, and which ones have you got?

I was lucky enough to pick up two, the UK version of Yavin and Mandalore the following year.  Loved the event-exclusive mats from 2017, thought they all looked great.

System Open 2016:  this was available as a prize for the winners of the first single elimination round:

swxop_playmat.jpg

System Open 2017:  these were available in limited numbers when purchasing your ticket.  Eight variants available, one for each System Open event:  Endor (Seattle), Hoth (Chicago), Kashyyyk (San Diego), Lothal (Nuremberg), Mustafar (San Antonio), Naboo (Syracuse), Tatooine (Madrid) and Yavin (Birmingham):

opsxa2_endorplaymat.pngopsxa2_hothplaymat.pngopsxa2_kashyyykplaymat.pngopsxa2_lothalopen.pngopsxa2_mustafarplaymat.pngopsxa2_nabooplaymat.pngopsxa2_tatooineplaymat.pngopsxa2_yavinplaymat.png

In addition, there was a Coruscant playmat available at the 2017 Coruscant Invitational, an 8 player event for the winners of each 2017 System Open held at Star Wars Celebration in Orlando.  Not too many players will be talented enough to own one of these!

opsxa2_corsucantplaymat.png

System Open 2018:  One design for Mandalore, again available in limited numbers when buying your ticket:

opsxa3_playmat_1000px.jpg

System Open 2019:  Finally, 2019's System Open events all had a Yavin design available in limited numbers when buying your ticket.  The design featured the Death Star on approach:

op19xo_playmat_ffg.jpg

Edited by FTS Gecko

I don't have any of the exclusive play mats (as they were all out of my price-range), but I was fortunate enough to buy a standard "star field" play mat on super sale from Barnes and Noble. 

59 minutes ago, Dragon_King said:

the one from 2018 and 2019 are in my collection.

but actually I am lookig forward to the one from 2020...

Hide contents

UDC6SVp.jpg

.... I wonder when Custom ink will have a sale....

I own Naboo, mandalore, yavin. Really hope they start doing these again. 

I have both the 2018 and 2019 one. Sadly due to an incident there are creases in the 2018 one and for the life of me I can't get them out. It's part of the reason I got the admiralty ticket for 2019.

Was amazing to be part of those events and the mats just made it all the sweeter.

Posted (edited)

I have a 2017 and a 2018 mat.  The 2017 is hoth and 2018 is Mandalore.  I skipped 19 when I realized I had enough mats to host my own tournament.....

Edited by reqent
Added more

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Cloaker said:

Because they hate me. :(

I wonder if they hate money. I have three mats and am only lukewarm on the film but I would pre-order a Scarif Gate map. That would be terrific for both X-wing and Armada. 

Edited by Frimmel
Stupid autocorrect

19 hours ago, Gilarius said:

Why haven't FFG released a Scarif Gate mat???

Because they're trying to figure out how to package a Scarif Gate map with a Blue Squadron/Strikers "core" set?  I mean, now that Squadron packs are a thing, maybe the decision will be easier for them?

13 minutes ago, Kleeg005 said:

Because they're trying to figure out how to package a Scarif Gate map with a Blue Squadron/Strikers "core" set?  I mean, now that Squadron packs are a thing, maybe the decision will be easier for them?

That would be an interesting wave. Scarif squadron packs and a Scarif mat. How to sell reprints and a mat to guys that already have plenty.

49 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

That would be an interesting wave. Scarif squadron packs and a Scarif mat. How to sell reprints and a mat to guys that already have plenty.

Gimme Blue Squadron repaint with General Merrick & co.  No joke, I'd buy it.

5 hours ago, LTuser said:

Is there a list somewhere of al these system open mats? 

And how does one go about acquiring one?

They were available at the System Open Series events in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.

2016 you had to win the first elimination round match.

2017, 2018 and 2019 they were available to buy in limited numbers when you bought your event ticket.  2017 had different mat designs for each event location, 2018 and 2019 had the same design globally.

Now, ,you're probably only likely to be able to get hold of one via eBay or trading with other player.

I'll add the images of the mats up in the original post.

6 hours ago, LTuser said:

Thanks.  So i guess if i want one, i need to start going to tournaments.

Correct: specifically, the System Open Series of tournaments. They’re the only ones that have had them before.