Boom Owl

Wookies Are Back

56 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

offLXdk.png

Turn 1 = Sabine Hard 3 Turn. Wookies bump

Turn 2a = Sabine Hard 1 Turn Roll. Wookies Bump

Turn 2b = Sabine Boost + Hard 1 Turn + Roll. 2 Wookies Bump. 2 Don't

Turn 3 = Zoom Zoom 

Needs a better 2a, probably can mix a red stop in somewhere. 

This seems to be based on Sabine (i3) moving before the Wookies (i1)?

It still sort of pans out if the Wookies stop on turn 1, I think...

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, DexterOnone said:

This seems to be based on Sabine (i3) moving before the Wookies (i1)?

It still sort of pans out if the Wookies stop on turn 1, I think...

Thats right. Turn 1 Red Stop should do the trick. 

Edited by Boom Owl

People say that auzitucks are like large ships, but I say they're a bit more like huge ships.

Large ships can move deceptively fast, thanks to their big base, but the auzi doesn't have that speed. If we're getting specific, I'd say it's most like a GR-75. Hard to bring down, but low offensive power.

Against 4 wookies, any list with sufficient beef and/or mobility should be able to snipe the +1 and get behind the wookies.

However, the wookies have the advantage of the small base, being able to manuver through the asteroids. As the wookie player, I would try to make a dense rock cluster, so I can cut off escape lanes and maybe get some obstruction bonuses here and there

53 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Speaking of worse, how much worse would 4 Bs + Int-Sabine be?  No full arcs, but you can actually turn around.  Minor perk: everyone gets to be Init 3.

Don't need to turn around if you've got a 180 arc

51 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Having tried myself at intimidation arvel: I wonder how many who inevitably will pick up the list actually make intimidation work

My experience is intimidation is half psychological. If intimidation makes your opponent move wrong it's almost as good as actually getting it to proc

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jagsba said:

Don't need to turn around if you've got a 180 arc

Maybe I'm just bad with 180 arcs (most likely true), but in my experience, I'll often usually wish I cold turn around.

And I'm not saying it's better to run 4B + Sabine (or some other 5th ship).  Just that... I dunno... might not be *that* much worse.  Like, worse but maybe still kinda almost playable.

Edited by theBitterFig

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

I think they will be really effective at making cuts. Especially as they are played more and the decision points between re-enforce/focus and red stop timing + sabine tactics + opening rounds become more clear. What they do while in cut is anyone's guess. 

As Paul said in the Veteran Instincts episode, it's not a list that is draining on your brain, as you 1fwd/bank your way into engagements and then 2 hard around spreading your arcs out. You will be fresher when you hit cut than a lot of other players who have been frantically scrambling their brains for hours playing more complex lists. 

Who the heck cares what other thing your gunna fly with the wookies? No one is asking the big, important questions that actually matter here...

...What are we gunna call this archetype? My vote is on Fuzzy Beef, both for being cute and kinda gross, just like Wookies!

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, gennataos said:

I'm totally cool with "some" wookies.  I just don't want "a lot of" wookies.

So for context. We never even had alot of CIS Swarm. Even the Worlds Winning list was barely adopted. Im sure Wookies will be more popular than CIS Swarm and less popular than Trench Run and its equivalents if that makes you feel any better. 

Edited by Boom Owl

15 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

So for context. We never even had alot of CIS Swarm. Even the Worlds Winning list was barely adopted. Im sure Wookies will be more popular than CIS Swarm and less popular than Trench Run and its equivalents if that makes you feel any better. 

Maybe?

31 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

7 factions, 2 formats, multiple viable lists. I keeps reappearing.

A prevalence like GhostFenn at 14% would be mindblowing at the moment.

Hey, I can give you my experiences from flying it vs Oli and Bartosz.

First of all, I picked the list because both of them picked Extended in League to play me, and I knew they'd bring some type of ace-y list.  I generally prefer more beefy, swarmy lists to aces, so this list is great as something that's good against aces and fits my style.

Most important part: list name.  I was leaning towards "the Fox and the Hounds", but "TIE Defenders" is also a funny name for it.

Of the variants, I like the Sabine version best.  The list feels like it'll be weak to better jousters, since it's not like the Wookiees can do anything but walk into a joust.  Sabine shores that weakness up some by being a supernatural ace in that matchup.  Against more "normal" matches, she's something an ace cannot allow to block them, so they have to keep her positioning in mind (and she can pretty much be anywhere).

My Oli game has been linked, but you can find the vassal log of my Bartosz game on listfortress's vassal league page.  You can watch me assume he's doing a greedy 1 bank with Nien, and then he does the 4 fwd into a slam K-turn instead.  I misguessed his Nien move a couple times that game, but barely pulled it out on the last shot at time.

As for openings, I'm not sure what's best.  I don't really like the super slow roll with them (or any swarm), because I like taking control of the center and forcing aces towards the board edges.  I'm not a fan of reducing the number of combat turns in a game with the wookiees.  I see the point of trying to reduce the amount of time that opponents can live behind you, but I think you can deal with that by not flying in a big old clump.  You can see this in Oli's game after I kill Deathrain.  Anything that wants to live behind a wookiee has to deal with multiple other arcs on them.  I'm also trying to figure out an opening that lets the wookiees pair off and try to "flank" with one pair, to use against joust lists.

Hope this all helps!

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

7 factions, 2 formats, multiple viable lists. I keeps reappearing.

A prevalence like GhostFenn at 14% would be mindblowing at the moment.

Yea like even Vassal League with 298 Hyperspace lists only broke 10% for Kylo & Zealous Fangs with Boba and TFDs in the 5% range. 
lNu1BoX.png

Edited by Boom Owl

11 minutes ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

Wouldn't Rey be able to destroy a Wookie a round with help though? 

It'd require more help than a 200 point list can provide to do so with any sort of reliability.  Even if that happens, she's eating three wookie shots coming back at her and will probably remain in their arcs until she dies.

Posted (edited)

Wookiees are my favorite turret.

Jyn-Juking Wulff/Saw is my favorite Jank list.

Reinforce on Wookiees is usually the wrong choice. Magva is underpriced and very good.

3 Wookiees with Saw is better than 4 with a friend. He's the wrong target but nobody realizes that.

Leia always surprises your opponent even though she never should, and she's a steal for 6 points.

Edited by ClassicalMoser