Boom Owl

Wookies Are Back

Posted (edited)

Wookies look like one of the best competitive options right now. Matchup pretty well against alot of different lists or archetypes. Seem well suited for dealing with swiss. Which variant do you think is the best for running in the upcoming Galaxies tournaments? 

4 Wookies + Zeb

4 Wookies + Sabine Intimidation

4 Wookies + Blount

4 Wookies + Rex

4 Wookies + ?

What about Turn 0-4 Tips and Formation setup? 

Kgcto9B.png

captain-merumeru_87bf7c7d.jpeg?region=19

FXMrSJT.png

Edited by Boom Owl

droid.jpg

^I'm sure Separatists have an answer

As for best variant, I'm backing Sabine. Supernatural reflexes is pretty good for blocking and setting up a target for the wookies to murder. And the storyline of Quad Wookies and Sabine burning down Extended is almost too good to be true.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Wookies look like one of the best competitive options right now. Matchup pretty well against alot of different lists or archetypes.

I agree. But why is that the case?  And why did it take Paul to find it?

The 4 wookies save 8 points now, Sabine adds nr9. Are intimidation and Zeb integral parts or nice benefits? If the latter then the saved points are at 5 and you'd think the list was at least worth a try with a Talas (or Bandit and keep Zeb) from January to July.

Or is it the meta and the tiny increases to Oli's Aces was actually enough? What other lists disappeared now that were present in the last period?

Edited by GreenDragoon

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Seem well suited for dealing with swiss.

https://img-comment-fun.9cache.com/media/an4Keb5/aP71kpgJ_700w_0.jpg

What do you have against us swiss guys?! Hey @GreenDragoon did you see that!

:P

2 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

And why did it take Paul to find it?

Do you really have to ask that? He is the ONE! 

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LimitedAnnualIcterinewarbler-small.gif

Edited by Dragon_King

Does anyone have metawing data or stream links or anything for Heaver's wookiee flying? It's the first I've heard of it, and I'm not particularly excited by the wookiees. Against ion/tractor scyks in particular I think the wookiees are in a pickle

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, gadwag said:

Does anyone have metawing data or stream links or anything for Heaver's wookiee flying? It's the first I've heard of it, and I'm not particularly excited by the wookiees. 

4 minutes ago, gadwag said:

Against ion/tractor scyks in particular I think the wookiees are in a pickle

Is that a bad thing that a list has an "anti-list" out there? that there is no unbeatable list.....

Edited by Dragon_King

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I agree. But why is that the case?  And why did it take Paul to find it?

The 4 wookies save 8 points now, Sabine adds nr9. Are intimidation and Zeb integral parts or nice benefits? If the latter then the saved points are at 5 and you'd think the list was at least worth a try with a Talas (or Bandit and keep Zeb) from January to July.

Or is it the meta and the tiny increases to Oli's Aces was actually enough? What other lists disappeared now that were present in the last period?

The extended roster has a very deep bench full of reasonably priced things that get largely ignored until discounted to the level of the extended starters that exist. It takes deep discounts in extended to get the player base to see and use the bench. I think thats all that happened here. The previous starters are still really strong, including Trip Empire Ace Jousters. 

Either way Wookies are a good option to collect Swiss Jousts. They should become a very popular and widely played list as they check a lot of boxes for the community with a lower ship count of 5 and they are part of the rebel faction. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Posted (edited)

offLXdk.png

Turn 1 = Sabine Hard 3 Turn. Wookies bump

Turn 2a = Sabine Hard 1 Turn Roll. Wookies Bump

Turn 2b = Sabine Boost + Hard 1 Turn + Roll. 2 Wookies Bump. 2 Don't

Turn 3 = Zoom Zoom 

Needs a better 2a, probably can mix a red stop in somewhere. 

Fixed on next page of posts. I dont know how to Wookie well. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Ugh, please don't let this become popular.

I've flown against my fair share of Quad Wookiee before, and it is just a slog.

10 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

So can someone help me out with Wookie openers & starting formations? Turn 0-4 type deal. Including obstacle deployment. 

Optimal setup that I've found it that you want to go slow (duh). They have to engage on your terms most of the time. Stay in your corner but try to keep near obstacles to narrow down your flank even further. I say even further, because it is dang hard to flank 4 Wookiee. Turn two of them to 45 degree when it seem engagement is going to happen, then 2 hard for eternity, unless you can block optimal maneuvers.

43 minutes ago, svelok said:

basically just the same list as quad uwings, innit? before the update, it would've been 4 wookies and upgrades (generic z95 doesn't seem worth being 5th ship), why fly that vs 4U?

There was no quad U this Jan to Jul. There wasn't basicall any in a year.

Why is the difference from a generic Z95 as blocker that huge to Sabine? Sabine is clearly the better choice. But numerous architects start to misimprove the list with other choices. That tells me Z95 was at least playable.

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

There was no quad U this Jan to Jul. There wasn't basicall any in a year.

there wasn't any at all post worlds, in fact. there were like 6 extended events with 60-120 players after worlds, maybe more that im forgetting, with like two quad u lists between the lot of them.

literally the day after worlds it fell off the map. dunno why.

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Why is the difference from a generic Z95 as blocker that huge to Sabine? 

3 agility, i think. plus also sabines ability is pretty good but also white reposition in general.

5 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Why is the difference from a generic Z95 as blocker that huge to Sabine? Sabine is clearly the better choice. But numerous architects start to misimprove the list with other choices. That tells me Z95 was at least playable.

Intimidation. 

I wouldn't take much stock in architects. People instinctually try to make lists worse.

I've played with and against this list, and while decently strong into things like aces, the low agility of the wookiees means that they either reinforce and hit like wet fish, or die in a single round of massed fire. At i1 they are very susceptible to focus fire from skilled players. 

I think they are decent, as mentioned earlier in the thread, they will collect scalps through swiss as you joust stuff to death, but the lack of target locks or other reroll sources means that you are really really relying on your red dice to hold out so you don't just lose the damage race. 

Other point - I think that this might genuinely be the best list that rebels have access to at the moment. It holds MOV really well, at 21 points for half a ship, anything nearly dead can turn out and reinforce rear to flee, but I just can't see them winning anything.

9 minutes ago, jagsba said:

Intimidation. 

I wouldn't take much stock in architects. People instinctually try to make lists worse.

Speaking of:

• Kashyyyk Defender + Perceptive Copilot
  • Kashyyyk Defender + Perceptive Copilot + Jyn Erso
  • Kashyyyk Defender + Perceptive Copilot + Leia Organa
  • Zeb Orrelios  + Perceptive Copilot

I ran a variant on this with U-Wings and did well. With Jyn, each Wookiee and Zeb gets Focus + Evade. Leia has obvious uses. Zeb can coordinate a reinforce if the Leia caddy looks like it's going to be focused down.

But honestly, 4 Wookiee and Sabine is likely stronger. You can bully so many lists, aces particularly.

9 hours ago, Des Darklighter said:

If you're taking wookies, take wookies. Just fly 3 auzitucks with Chewie.

Last year at worlds i flew Chewie with two wookie gunships

23 minutes ago, Rich P said:

I think that this might genuinely be the best list that rebels have access to at the moment. It holds MOV really well, at 21 points for half a ship, anything nearly dead can turn out and reinforce rear to flee, but I just can't see them winning anything.

I think they will be really effective at making cuts. Especially as they are played more and the decision points between re-enforce/focus and red stop timing + sabine tactics + opening rounds become more clear. What they do while in cut is anyone's guess.