Sign in to follow this  
Delta8

When can we run store champs?

3 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Depends.  Do you live in a country that didn't have a historically awful response to the Pandemic, with incompetance needlessly costing thousands of lives?

No need for bashing at all.

Posted (edited)

Would anyone be interested if I made a “store champ equivalent kit” where there would be themed cardboard dial covers/locks/bases, range rulers, and Alt Arts and stores can buy them and their TO’s can run online events?

Edited by Tbetts94

21 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Real answer: as soon as it is not completely irresponsible anymore to gather people during a pandemic that has already made its way into our history books as a defining moment of our lives.

Even realer answer: when FFG OP gives official approval

Posted (edited)

From a legal perspective, shops are open in many countries, and clearly not just essential shops, peoples businesses, factories and offices are also open, and you most likely have had to return to work, Universities are also opening up for non-covid research and preparing for teaching thousands of students in September. Pubs, restauraunts and Gyms are open, cinemas are open / opening?

Sports clubs are meeting up, exercise classes are being held in gyms, so why are we drawing the line at miniatures shops.

These stores are literally the life and business of the store owners, why are they being held to higher standards than Jeff Bezos and almost every other business owner.

Surely we could meet using masks, and handgel, perhaps with a non-shared dice pool, maybe even gloves only or washing hands in sinks between games?

The answer doesn't have to be a total ban off store events, if we work as a community to ensure safe and proper conduct.

Edited by Scum4Life
Spelling

2 hours ago, Scum4Life said:

From a legal perspective, shops are open in many countries, and clearly not just essential shops, peoples businesses, factories and offices are also open, and you most likely have had to return to work, Universities are also opening up for non-covid research and preparing for teaching thousands of students in September. Pubs, restauraunts and Gyms are open, cinemas are open / opening?

Sports clubs are meeting up, exercise classes are being held in gyms, so why are we drawing the line at miniatures shops.

These stores are literally the life and business of the store owners, why are they being held to higher standards than Jeff Bezos and almost every other business owner.

Surely we could meet using masks, and handgel, perhaps with a non-shared dice pool, maybe even gloves only or washing hands in sinks between games?

The answer doesn't have to be a total ban off store events, if we work as a community to ensure safe and proper conduct.

I think evidence is beginning to show that those things that are opening up? Not such a great idea. At least here in the US. 

And yeah, evidence has also shown, trusting the community to try to keep this in check is a bad, bad idea.

12 minutes ago, Sithborg said:

I think evidence is beginning to show that those things that are opening up? Not such a great idea. At least here in the US. 

And yeah, evidence has also shown, trusting the community to try to keep this in check is a bad, bad idea.

It is a great shame that alot of the population either dont follow advice, like wearing masks, washing hands, using antibacterial hand gel, or even actively rail agaisnt such advice. My gut feeling is if we all got onboard that train, we would now be in a  different place. But its hard to argue agaisnt the tragic stats...

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Scum4Life said:

dont follow advice

The "advice", which became mandates in short order, would have had better adherence if the data presented backing it had been accurate and consistent (it wasn't). The data that the "advice" was based on, as presented to the public, was all over the place at first, often times contradicting or back peddling to what was previously presented (with the exact same organizations that said one thing, saying the opposite not a day later, followed up the next day or even a couple hours later going back to what they had originally said, again and again and again, including how effective masks, distancing, etc. would be). That alone raises warning flags for allot of people. Add in that all that data was following what amounts to a straight up misinformation campaign by W.H.O. in Dec and Jan. Don't forget the medical reporting by facilities padding the numbers by falsifying records (several K "bounty" for each reported COVID death), a few of the Governors (who actually are supposed to take the lead in this matter legally) blocking nursing homes from requiring testing of patients resulting in hefty, and lethal, outbreaks there, Fauci lauding one of the Governors who did so as having done things the right way, and inconsistent enforcement of the mandates (I'm sorry, the anti-lockdown protests themselves were going to spread the virus, but the police brutality protests and parallel riots weren't? The ****?!?!?). Guess how much faith in the effectiveness of personal preventative measures vs just going "heck with it, we're going to catch it anyways" that builds...

Edited by Hiemfire

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

The "advice", which became mandates in short order, would have had better adherence if the data presented backing it had been accurate and consistent (it wasn't). The data that the "advice" was based on, as presented to the public, was all over the place at first, often times contradicting or back peddling to what was previously presented (with the exact same organizations that said one thing, saying the opposite not a day later, followed up the next day or even a couple hours later going back to what they had originally said, again and again and again, including how effective masks, distancing, etc. would be). That alone raises warning flags for allot of people. Add in that all that data was following what amounts to a straight up misinformation campaign by W.H.O. in Dec and Jan. Don't forget the medical reporting by facilities padding the numbers by falsifying records (several K "bounty" for each reported COVID death), a few of the Governors (who actually are supposed to take the lead in this matter legally) blocking nursing homes from requiring testing of patients resulting in hefty, and lethal, outbreaks there, Fauci lauding one of the Governors who did so as having done things the right way, and inconsistent enforcement of the mandates (I'm sorry, the anti-lockdown protests themselves were going to spread the virus, but the police brutality protests and parallel riots weren't? The ****?!?!?). Guess how much faith in the effectiveness of personal preventative measures vs just going "heck with it, we're going to catch it anyways" that builds...

Unfortunately the UK goverment also flip-flopped back and forth on a number of issues, like masks, but then the Goverment said it would be an offence not to wear one in public after two weeks (so people has time to buy mask and get used to wearing them) lots of people seemed to think it was safe to not wear masks until the stated date it became an offence, and now i see many people in shops without them and shops dont enforce it for fear of losing custom I guess.

Somone caused a stink by smoking in a shop as a protest against non-mask wearers, but she got chucked out while multiple people were recording the protest on their phones but weren't wearing masks, and they were not asked to leave the shop.

Currently in the last month the UK is averaging 50ish daily deaths involving COVID, so the measures must be having an effect as it was over 1000 a day at the peak.

Alas the world and its Citizens are in sorry state, with 1000s of lives lost each day.

But I still think we should work together to make it safer rather than isolating at all times.

I feel the thread is at danger of gettting moved to *Off Topic*.

So to pull it back on track, I'd like to see sensibly run, clean events returning to stores as soon as practically possible.

Maybe a limit to 16 players instead of 60+ tourneys, as a starting point?

Can anyone think of ideas of how to make a potential event as safe as possible?

Edited by Scum4Life
Spelling, extra information

19 minutes ago, Scum4Life said:

So to pull it back on track, I'd like to see sensibly run, clean events returning to stores as soon as practically possible.

Maybe a limit to 16 players instead of 60+ tourneys, as a starting point?

Can anyone think of ideas of how to make a potential event as safe as possible?

safety aside, I see a playerbase issue. The majority of X-Wing players [1] have said that they are not comfortable playing in person at all until health organizations say it's safe to do so (which is a much longer timeline than stay-at-home orders or any laws even). 

also, tournaments are a lot more iffy than game nights, because you'd have people travelling to them rather than staying locally. 

I see it as pretty irresponsible to do a tournament anytime in the near future, and I think even in a best case scenario I would not get my hopes up for any events until 2021 or later

[1] source is the last Friday Night X-Wing poll, which reached almost a thousand players. 

7 hours ago, Tbetts94 said:

Would anyone be interested if I made a “store champ equivalent kit” where there would be themed cardboard dial covers/locks/bases, range rulers, and Alt Arts and stores can buy them and their TO’s can run online events?

Yes!!! Message me about them

I've written off any in-person gaming events for the rest of the year. Our local gaming pub is restricted to a few outdoor tables now. Not nearly enough for a store championship. Other gaming places are outright closed.

I don't expect FFG to start up the official events anytime soon.