Jump to content
drail14me

Let’s discuss Black Defense Dice

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Sekac said:

Got it. You're just saying obvious and utterly pointless things. My bad, I assumed you thought your words had value. I'm glad we can agree they don't. 

"Guys, I'm just here to say the sky is blue."

"Yeah we know."

"What, just because I said it's blue doesn't mean I'm implying you don't know that."

Excellent, excellent point.

The conversation is more akin to:
"Hey guys snakes could have legs so they can move along the ground!"
"Snakes can already move along the ground, legs are unnecessary for that"
"But I never said they were necessary!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

The conversation is more akin to:
"Hey guys snakes could have legs so they can move along the ground!"
"Snakes can already move along the ground, legs are unnecessary for that"
"But I never said they were necessary!"

Except in this example the snakes are currently not moving. No version of the mechanic exists. 

I'm suggesting legs, you're suggesting anything in the world except legs because legs must inexplicably be avoided at all costs.

Even your analogies are wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So the conversation isn't
"Black dice would be a good way to add a defence quality that is part way between white dice and red dice"
"We have a mechanism for that already: Keywords. Therefore black dice are unnecessary"

Apparently Uncanny Luck doesn't actually improve the defensive saves of a unit with white dice w/surge in any way. 

Edited by Caimheul1313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sekac said:

Why would someone buy a unit just to get black defense dice? If none of your units use them, then buying a unit you don’t need to get something you can't use would be stupid.

FFG can't force people not to be stupid.

That's a pretty big "if" in your statement.  I'm sure FFG would not introduce black defense dice, then only use them on one wave of units.  In the long run (and in some ways even in the short run), packaging black defense dice in the first wave of units to use them would cause more problems than it would solve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GooeyChewie said:

That's a pretty big "if" in your statement.  I'm sure FFG would not introduce black defense dice, then only use them on one wave of units.  In the long run (and in some ways even in the short run), packaging black defense dice in the first wave of units to use them would cause more problems than it would solve.

No, but if they are included in every pack that needs them, there is absolutely no need to buy packs you don't otherwise need.

How do you currently get upgrade cards you want but aren't included with the unit you want them for? You have no choice but to buy a pack you need. There is no other option.

You believe it would be an issue if they followed this exact same model for black dice, but also provided an additional way to get them in the form of their dice pack? 

The current distribution system is fine, but the current system with one more option would be problematic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sekac said:

No, but if they are included in every pack that needs them, there is absolutely no need to buy packs you don't otherwise need.

How do you currently get upgrade cards you want but aren't included with the unit you want them for? You have no choice but to buy a pack you need. There is no other option.

You believe it would be an issue if they followed this exact same model for black dice, but also provided an additional way to get them in the form of their dice pack? 

The current distribution system is fine, but the current system with one more option would be problematic?

Yes, I do believe it would be an issue if they followed that model for black defense dice.  As somebody who played both Star Wars The Card Game and Star Wars Destiny, I have first-hand experience with the fact that dice are more expensive than bits of cardboard.  I am sure including dice in a unit box would increase the MSRP of that unit, and I really don't want all units with black defense dice to automatically have a higher MSRP.

We're sort of getting away from the point here.  Adding a keyword to the game is easy.  FFG just needs to print the words on the card, and they were printing that card anyway.  Adding new dice brings up lots of questions about production and distribution.  So if FFG wants to add new dice rather than a new keyword at this point, those dice need to do something significant enough to justify even asking those questions in the first place.  Ultimately that's up to FFG to decide.  If they asked me I'd tell them to file it under "neat idea but ultimately impractical."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If FFG ever does a Legion 2.0 I think that would be the only time they would introduce a new die, whether that be the black defense die discussed here or something else.  It would come in 2.0 starter sets, conversion kits, and an updated dice pack.  But I think without a new edition, the logistical hurdles of adding a new die are just too high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Adding dice adds exactly 1 question about cost. Otherwise, it raises the exact same questions of distribution as they currently have.

They "just print a card" and then have to figure out a way to get that card to everyone who needs it. They can also "just make a die" and go through an identical process to the one they go through now to distribute it, except that there aren't units we already own that now want those dice.

The logistical considerations of getting a new force power (for example) to all the existing force users is much more complicated than the logistical considerations of putting 6 dice in a box with models who need those dice. The only way old force users can get new powers is to buy models they have no use for.

If I want the new Force Bodyslam, I can buy a $15 character I don't need or want. That is my only option. So thats $30 for the force user I have and the one card I want for him.

If they came out with a character for my faction who happened to roll black dice, I could pay the $17.50 (or whatever, but there's no way you pay double as you currently must). 

Or I could pay for their (slightly marked up) dice pack which I still need another of anyway.

Adding dice would be cheaper for customers because there's no incentive to buy out of faction, easier to distribute because there are 2 options rather than 1.

 

 

Edited by Sekac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...