Jump to content
Duciris

The Investigator Decks

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Artem_Bochkarev said:

Where to buy investigator decks? Its shame that you cant even buy 'em normally without preorders.

It seems something happened with the print run. Amazon has most of them, saying they will be back in stock on Sept 14. Hopefully that means that distributors are getting more soon. 

Edited by Mimi61

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 11:50 PM, Artem_Bochkarev said:

Where to buy investigator decks? Its shame that you cant even buy 'em normally without preorders.

Amazon currently has Winnie and Harvey in stock and 1 Jaqueline in stock. They are saying Stella will be in stock by Oct 1. I couldn’t find anything on Nathaniel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

played Winnie teamed up with Father Mat today (first time for both). Winnie has great chaotic energy. Father Mat needs lot of fluffing in a fight, but i think i can work with him going forward.

took them for a spin in The Devourer Below as a test run (it's where Roland and Agnes breathed their last ~ r.i.p.). probably should have gotten clobbered, but pulled a couple hail marys and had enough allies and whatnot to soak up damage (r.i.p. Lonnie!).

i'm worried that Winnie's deck cards are better than anything i may be able to upgrade her with for a while, since i am still so far behind in the campaign. i haven't seen what's out there for rogues beyond Dunwich Legacy so far; can anyone give me a sense of anything exciting for rogues yet to come (in Carcosa, Forgotten Age, or Dream Eaters)?

winnie_mat.jpg

Edited by happy_ythogtha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wini and Mateo are our 'gators in our current Return to the Forgotten Age run. My Mateo has some sweet evasion tricks, but his offensive capability is still just his level-0 Shrivellings. Wini, on the other hand, has Ornate Bow and loves it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carthoris said:

Wini and Mateo are our 'gators in our current Return to the Forgotten Age run. My Mateo has some sweet evasion tricks, but his offensive capability is still just his level-0 Shrivellings. Wini, on the other hand, has Ornate Bow and loves it

i love that Shriveling! can't wait to be able to upgrade it (i have the xp, but haven't come across the upgrade card yet)!

and i don't know what an Ornate Bow is, but now i feel like i need it immeeeeeediately! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good old Ornate Bow. One of those weapons that dexterous investigators always eyeball but it competes for hand slots and all the other cards to spend XP on these days. Our first time through TFA, we took Rita who was not a hand slot heavy investigator and as a Survivor, had plenty of XP available.  She discovered Ornate Bow and loved it too. 
We just finished RttFA and incorporated some of the new investigators and cards. We took William Yorrick (who used Boxing Gloves and Nathaniel’s spirit deck combined with Survivor spirit cards, to great effect), Ursula and Jacqueline Fine. Let me tell you, Jacqueline’s spells are great. Ineffable Truth, Clairvoyance and Azure Flame are nice spins on Mists of R’lyeh, Rite of Seeking and Shriveling. At one point, she scooped up 6 clues using Clairvoyance (5) and Eldritch Inspiration (1) with one action, right under Ursula’s stunned nose.
After that it was on..they were like a nerdy version of Legolas and Gimli, shouting out how many clues they were gathering during a scenario. Ineffable Truth is also pretty satisfying. Evading and dealing damage at the same time, what’s not to love?  
Jacqueline was super fun to play. 

Edited by Mimi61

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Boundary Beyond, my Mateo got a new Pact weakness (Unspeakable Oath: Bloodthirst), and I've tried to compensate for it by picking up a level-3 Azure Flame. Meanwhile, Wini finally ditched her second Daredevil in favor of an All In!

AHC50_25.jpgAHC25_309.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, what that heck!?  I just noticed that the investigator's signature cards in this set are class cards & not neutral.  They've been neutral since the game launched and continue through the Innsmouth Conspiracy.  Ugg.  Take 2 trauma.

60502.jpg01014.png02014.png03016.jpg04015.jpg05016.png06016.jpg98014.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Duciris said:

OK, what that heck!?  I just noticed that the investigator's signature cards in this set are class cards & not neutral.  They've been neutral since the game launched and continue through the Innsmouth Conspiracy.  Ugg.  Take 2 trauma.

huh ~ it didn't even occur to me. if the card is investigator-specific and the investigator only has one class does it make a difference?

Neither Rain Nor Shine is awesome x3. : D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Duciris said:

OK, what that heck!?  I just noticed that the investigator's signature cards in this set are class cards & not neutral.  They've been neutral since the game launched and continue through the Innsmouth Conspiracy.  Ugg.  Take 2 trauma.

Yep, I can't remember if we've heard an official reason but I think it was probably just done for simplicity if a new player picks up the deck. That way you don't have to explain to someone playing Wini that Anything You Can Do, Better isn't a valid card to be committed by Daredevil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, happy_ythogtha said:

huh ~ it didn't even occur to me. if the card is investigator-specific and the investigator only has one class does it make a difference?

Neither Rain Nor Shine is awesome x3. : D

It's inconsistent!  It sets a very bad precedence.  My mind...it can only take so much...

5 minutes ago, Assussanni said:

Yep, I can't remember if we've heard an official reason but I think it was probably just done for simplicity if a new player picks up the deck. That way you don't have to explain to someone playing Wini that Anything You Can Do, Better isn't a valid card to be committed by Daredevil.

That was my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably mentioned already, but it is the same as how the neutral Skill cards got non-neutral upgrades.  For example, Unexpected Courage becomes a Survivor card, and Overpower becomes a Guardian card.  That one makes Silas sad, especially since he is pictured on the card and can't use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MGlas1 said:

Probably mentioned already, but it is the same as how the neutral Skill cards got non-neutral upgrades.  For example, Unexpected Courage becomes a Survivor card, and Overpower becomes a Guardian card.  That one makes Silas sad, especially since he is pictured on the card and can't use it.

Admittedly that is weird (and cool), but it limits them to their respective class strengths: Seeker-Intellect, Guardian-Combat, etc.

This is just upsetting the applecart...which apparently means I'm the applecart.  Consistency, consistency, squirrel! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also helps to colour-code cards for colour = good, white/grey = bad - like you know when you've drawn a weakness because it's totally different to the rest of the cards in your deck, so for one of their intended purposes (a pick-up and play deck for a brand new player) it's easier to explain the concept of a weakness.

I feel like signature cards should always have been of the appropriate class, to be honest, since it's neater, though that would make a few cards and effects more powerful:

  • Unearth the Ancients to put signature Seeker assets into play (Harvey can do this)
  • On Your Own to make signature Survivor events cheaper (not that it would currently matter, since both Rita and Yorick have 0-cost signature events)
  • Sacrifice signature Mystic assets (Jacqueline can do this...not that she's likely to want to)
  • Galvanize to ready signature Guardian assets (doesn't really do anything for Nathaniel's signature card)
  • Eldritch Inspiration to trigger token-specific events on Mystic cards (I guess it would allow Jim to double up on horror)
  • And the already mentioned Resourceful and Daredevil interactions

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Allonym said:

It also helps to colour-code cards for colour = good, white/grey = bad - like you know when you've drawn a weakness because it's totally different to the rest of the cards in your deck, so for one of their intended purposes (a pick-up and play deck for a brand new player) it's easier to explain the concept of a weakness.

...

That actually is how I think.  I know the neutral cards so well that if I draw I don't recognize, it's usually the signature card of whichever investigator I am currently playing.  Heck, I've played Daisy as much as anybody and I only realize I've drawn her tote bag after I realize it's a neutral card.

On a parallel line, I'm surprised they didn't release any neutral cards in these decks.  I guess it really is for the newbies, although the deck construction does call out "Neutral cards" but they do not provide any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually thought these signature cards were of the appropriate class because these are the first "pure" investigators: they cannot take cards from other classes. Since other investigators have access to multiple classes, their signature cards reflect that by being available to both or all classes, thus they're neutral.

That was my logic, but I'm sure it has more to do with play clarity than any other reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...