Sign in to follow this  
Smokedgouda

A collection completed, a sigh of relief, but a depressing lack of players to play

So after nearly four years of collecting, I finally finished my Armada collection.  It's a good balance of all the sets to allow both sides to have plenty of options, nice custom foam trays from BattleFoam, custom accessories from some really talented and dedicated Armada enthusiasts, and a place to play with enough room for 3'x6' battles.  While I'm happy to have finally finished it (especially not having to spend any more money), I'm also sad that I haven't been able to play it ever since the pandemic has crippled our way of life.  My last game was on March 13th when my play group finished the first pivotal battle of our very first Rebellion in the Rim campaign.  Since then, the campaign has been on indefinite suspension due to lock downs, international boarder restrictions on travel, and adherence to social distancing.  One day, the battle for the Outer Rim will resume again.  For now, it remains a battle from a long time ago, in a basement.... well......, just beneath my living room.  🙁

648A9089-6122-45ED-A5C3-273EBB7DF6B5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.42c5877d8c04db6a0a414f6b068eede0.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I get you.  My last game was of a different game than Star Wars Armada, but it was in January.....

I too am slowly building up my two fleets.  Don't know if I'll ever get a SSD, though...but an Onager is likely next.

Edited by AegisGrimm

1 hour ago, slasher956 said:

Its a temporay state of satisfaction and money saving before the next wave is released

😛

All too true.

New factions, new expansions, etc hopefully for Christmas!

Meanwhile, TTS is great. But some day soon (well, a month or two I think) I can use my plastic crack properly!

3 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Some Vassal games early this year, but it's not the same.

Agreed, before we had developed a strong community here I would be on Vassal fairly often, its a good resource but once you get to playing games consistently IRL virtual games stop cutting it.  I finally got my first game in since February last Monday, it felt good but it still feels like we are a long way from normal.

45 minutes ago, Thrindal said:

Agreed, before we had developed a strong community here I would be on Vassal fairly often, its a good resource but once you get to playing games consistently IRL virtual games stop cutting it.  I finally got my first game in since February last Monday, it felt good but it still feels like we are a long way from normal.

Vassal is fun enough, but I agree; magic click clack rocks go pew pew pew, ship go zoom, I have fun.

11 hours ago, drumtier said:

What des completed mean?

It just means I have all that I want from the game.  Even with the Clone Wars expansion announcement, I will not be expanding into that.  The ships look great as always, but I'm content with staying in the Galactic Civil War era.  

17 hours ago, Smokedgouda said:

I'm also sad that I haven't been able to play it ever since the pandemic has crippled our way of life

Tabletop Simulator on steam has everything released for the GCW I believe. It's a great way to get games in while maintaining social distancing. Unlike Vassel, which seems to be the preferred virtual method, it's a 3D interface. (For me that makes a huge difference). 

(Great collection too! Hopefully you'll get to use it soon. I managed a couple sector fleet games and boy were they fun!)

zYGYb8C.jpg

Posted (edited)

My regular sparring partner is my brother-in-law. Unfortunately, due to COVID and life circumstances, we haven't had a chance to play since January. I remember specifically because it was the same day that Kobe Bryant was killed. I've tried a couple of solo matches since then and it simply isn't the same. The timing is lousy, as it means I've only had a chance to use my Onager and Starhawk once. But then, I can't complain... others have it far worse!

Edited by Rmcarrier1
Added some needed perspective!

41 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

Gosh I don't fancy the chances of the Imperial fleet.

I agree.  I've only been able to play with my Starhawk ship once since I got it, but I recall it tore through a Star Destroyer like a lightsaber through a limb.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Smokedgouda said:

I agree.  I've only been able to play with my Starhawk ship once since I got it, but I recall it tore through a Star Destroyer like a lightsaber through a limb.

I played a really funny 800pt game where I had a double Starhawk with Sato and my opponent had a Starhawk/mc75 Raddus.  On turn 3 his Concord Starhawk called in Profundity,having the previous turn dropped to speed 0 and dropped MY Concord Starhawk to 0  - and he stuck Profundity next to it and threw Garel's honour out for good.measure.

I activated Concord, fired on Profundity from the side, then dropped it to speed 0 with my Magnites.

Profundity couldn't move, it was too close and hadn't brought a maneuver dial so it was stuck with 2 Sato assault frigates throwing black dice at long range and an enraged Concord at close.range.  It died in short order and his Starhawk went the same way shortly after.

Edited by flatpackhamster

If you want to actually get the ships onto the table you could try a solitaire solution. I've published a robot player(Ed's Armada Robot) on the files page of boardgamegeek and Crabbok has published an AI deck on his site too.  Playing solo is NOT the same as playing another person but it does let you scratch the itch and get some practice in...

Another alternative to solo play is to play via zoom (other providers exist) where you have the table + models and your opponent tells you where to move 'their' fleet.... if they have them they can roll their own dice and show the result on camera

that way at least your ships get back on the table!