TKubera421

Clone AT-RT seems to be confusing people...

I haven't played Legions a ton, recently. Is the Rebel AT-RT just not used? Too many people don't seem to know it exists, or that the weapon stats are the same. Maybe it's just new people not knowing, but it seems odd to have so many people not know that Rebels had access to a these. Maybe it's armor? I heard it's worse nowadays, along with dodge tokens, but it can't be this bad, right?

I'm genuinely curious. From what I recall, Rebels ranged from trash to god tier (Wookies-Tauns).

3 minutes ago, TKubera421 said:

I haven't played Legions a ton, recently. Is the Rebel AT-RT just not used? Too many people don't seem to know it exists, or that the weapon stats are the same. Maybe it's just new people not knowing, but it seems odd to have so many people not know that Rebels had access to a these. Maybe it's armor? I heard it's worse nowadays, along with dodge tokens, but it can't be this bad, right?

I'm genuinely curious. From what I recall, Rebels ranged from trash to god tier (Wookies-Tauns).

I have no idea why people seem so shocked by the Clone AT-RT weapons, which have been in the game since day 1. AT-RTs weren't very good for a while but point changes and the fact that Imperial lists no longer come with a bunch of incidental Impact have made them quite a bit better. Maybe they were overshadowed a bit by tauntauns? They've been in the occasional winning list since the point changes and I've never stopped using them to good effect.

13 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

I have no idea why people seem so shocked by the Clone AT-RT weapons, which have been in the game since day 1. AT-RTs weren't very good for a while but point changes and the fact that Imperial lists no longer come with a bunch of incidental Impact have made them quite a bit better. Maybe they were overshadowed a bit by tauntauns? They've been in the occasional winning list since the point changes and I've never stopped using them to good effect.

2nded. 

The Rebel AT-RT isn't bad, per se.  It just competes for the same spot Tauntaun Riders, which are top-tier units.  Meanwhile the Republic AT-RT has some nice extra features for only 10 points more, and competes with the less than impressive BARC Speeders.

Also, as arnoldrew pointed out, the AT-RT was pretty bad before the points adjustments.  A lot of players simply never revisited them afterwards and the reputation persisted even when reality changed.

As for the Hardpoints, when the Republic AT-RT was announced it wasn't clear (to me at least) if the card would say "AT-RT" or "Republic AT-RT."  If it was the latter, then the original AT-RT's weapon cards would not work on the new unit.  Now that we know the title, it's more obvious that the original weapons will work.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, GooeyChewie said:

As for the Hardpoints, when the Republic AT-RT was announced it wasn't clear (to me at least) if the card would say "AT-RT" or "Republic AT-RT."  If it was the latter, then the original AT-RT's weapon cards would not work on the new unit.  Now that we know the title, it's more obvious that the original weapons will work.

They made it clear in various interviews and livestreams that the weapons would be exactly the same months ago, but I guess it didn't get spread enough for normal people to hear about it. We've also had the unit card for quite some time.

Edited by arnoldrew

The second place list from the recent online GenCon tournament was a Rebel list with 2 AT-RTs.  They're definitely not bad, and I would go so far as to say they are fairly popular—just not as popular as Tauntauns.

Posted (edited)

Which group of people are confused?

My assessment has been the original Rebel version was extremely over-priced for what it did.

After point- change, it can really be a poor play against certain armies.  It just doesn't last long.

The Republic version has some real benefits (scout1 on big base, defensive surge, better stock weapon) but still costs quite a bit if you upgrade the weapon.  Especially in that army, I have never been able to justify the upgraded weapon.

They still die really fast.

Edited by buckero0

3 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Which group of people are confused?

The group of people that are blown away by "how good" the Hardpoint upgrades on the Republic AT-RT are, not recognizing that they are exactly the same as the Rebel ones.

Posted (edited)

I don't get who is confused and rebel at-rt have been ok since the start and been a pretty stable unit IMO. It's not great and it's not bad, however lately it has competed with tauntauns.

I don't find it rare to see a rebel list with 2 rotary at-rt's and I used them myself. For a core set support unit I think it's the only one that has/will survive the test of time and is still used after so many waves.

The clones get's effectively almost 2 more hp and scout for just 10p though and possible future token sharing shenanigans that will be scary.

Edited by jocke01

5 minutes ago, Khobai said:

rebel AT-RT is great

its not a tauntaun though

but tauntauns still need to be nerfed IMO

Not sure I agree with this nowadays, they are hardly winning tournaments. 

14 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

The group of people that are blown away by "how good" the Hardpoint upgrades on the Republic AT-RT are, not recognizing that they are exactly the same as the Rebel ones.

Who are these people?  Or rather, where are they expressing their confusion/amazement?  Can't say I've not seen anyone shocked and amazed by the Republic AT-RT.  Granted, I wasn't really following Legion when they announced it, but I've seen almost zero discussion of the Clone AT-RT and no "OMG, this thing is lit!" 

16 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

Who are these people?  Or rather, where are they expressing their confusion/amazement?  Can't say I've not seen anyone shocked and amazed by the Republic AT-RT.  Granted, I wasn't really following Legion when they announced it, but I've seen almost zero discussion of the Clone AT-RT and no "OMG, this thing is lit!" 

Mostly Facebook and Reddit after the Asmodee "preview" screenshot from last week (I think) that showed the Hardpoints.

15 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

Mostly Facebook and Reddit after the Asmodee "preview" screenshot from last week (I think) that showed the Hardpoints.

Huh.  Odd.  Pretty much ever reaction I've seen has been either "Yep, same hardpoints we already have" or "they missed a chance to do something new," not amazement at how good they are.  

39 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

Huh.  Odd.  Pretty much ever reaction I've seen has been either "Yep, same hardpoints we already have" or "they missed a chance to do something new," not amazement at how good they are.  

I have seen at least 2 people who were under the impression the Rebel Rotary Cannon was 6 white dice just like the Z6.

1 hour ago, Alpha17 said:

Most people in my area play imperial or one of the new clone wars factions. Most of them were impressed that the clone rotary rolled blacks instead of whites. I had to remind them that these are the same upgrades as the rebel at-rt

22 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

I have seen at least 2 people who were under the impression the Rebel Rotary Cannon was 6 white dice just like the Z6.

21 hours ago, lunitic501 said:

Most people in my area play imperial or one of the new clone wars factions. Most of them were impressed that the clone rotary rolled blacks instead of whites. I had to remind them that these are the same upgrades as the rebel at-rt

Wierd.  Sounds like they either don't have much experience with the Rebel AT-RT, or have completely forgotten it.  Anyone who has every faced one the **** things, or played one, shouldn't be making that kind of mistake. 

On 8/15/2020 at 10:18 AM, syrath said:

The weapons at least have different profiles for each faction. The clone ATRT is surge to hit and block, making it more defensive, with the rebel surge to crit. 

Also Scout 1 on the GAR version, with the WWB Crit1 Impact1 RPC-2 replacing the straight WW A-300 rifle. And costs an extra 10p.

1 hour ago, aniron said:

Also Scout 1 on the GAR version, with the WWB Crit1 Impact1 RPC-2 replacing the straight WW A-300 rifle. And costs an extra 10p.

I know, however that is the main body, I was trying to point out that the weapons , while being the same cards actually have a different result on them 20% of hits on Gar are critical hits and 40% of rebel hits are critical hits, which makes a big difference in weapon profile 

3 hours ago, syrath said:

I know, however that is the main body, I was trying to point out that the weapons , while being the same cards actually have a different result on them 20% of hits on Gar are critical hits and 40% of rebel hits are critical hits, which makes a big difference in weapon profile 

The GAR version can facilitate fire support, while the Rebel one cannot. That is why GAR is not surge crit.

I like many, have been proxying this thing for months and it is everything you wish a barc was. 

Also I was never a fan of the laser cannon on the rebel one as needing impact 3 with surge to crit just wasn't worth the points. However, with this new gar one and the fact you can fire shoot into it, I'm really looking the laser cannon