Bucknife

Best Hondo Caddy?

Depends. I like the idea of coordinating a stressed enemy (so failed action and no coordinate) to get the jam snipe. Locking rocks at the beginning to coordinate a friend and jam a meaningless friendly jam also seem neat. You also want enough friends to crank out the usage on him. With these in mind, I think I'd most prefer him in a Rose Tide Pods. Wolffe or even a generic ARC also seems good.

Posted (edited)

Republic R2-D2 seems OK.  Grab a Dorsal Turret for 34+Hondo, with the potential to get free tokens.

Bucket, as noted, looks reasonable.

Scum Han.  Dude doesn't really need crew.  It'll be an Init 6 coordinate/jam, so after full knowledge probably, and when you know whether you'll have any bonus dice from ability/title, so you can chose to give up your action on turns when you know you already don't have a good shot.

Nom Lumb could be good.  Decently tanky ship that doesn't care too much about it's own actions, and you'll probably have Dengar gunner.  Say... that's kinda sweet if you Jam someone.

latest?cb=20200103112306latest?cb=20180914172148

Edited by theBitterFig

Bitter eggplant up there beat me to it, but R2-D2 sounds like a good pick.

Nodin in the resistance transport could be good too.

After coordinating, he gets a free action, so he basically gets to jam an enemy for free, or just boost his own coordinate to be white, range 1-3

6 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Scum Han.  Dude doesn't really need crew.  It'll be an Init 6 coordinate/jam, so after full knowledge probably, and when you know whether you'll have any bonus dice from ability/title, so you can chose to give up your action on turns when you know you already don't have a good shot.

This would be a really neat lore team-up. Han and Hondo arguing with each other about profit? Yes please. Also, as stated, quite effective.

Posted (edited)

Heff - free actions when enemy ships bump him. No stress from coordinating with Hondo, extends coordinate to range 3. So Heff, could Hondo for action to coordinate/jam, get bumped, then do a coordinate action.

O-66 sounds good too. Defend, spend a calc to Action Hondo to coordinate the ship that just attacked you, and jam the next ship gonna shoot you. Or coordinate a friendly for a better shot.

Edited by wurms

3 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

Tavson?  Seems obvious to me.

Cost dependent. 2 great Tavson archetypes (Kylo + Tavson + Starkiller/Thannison and Kylo + Tavson + Quickdraw/Holo) run at or just about 200. Upgrading your Biohexacrypt Codes to Hondo might mean demoting Kylo to Blackout or some other ace or perhaps decreasing the not Kylo piece. Probably not worth it.

He will have good value on the Xi, but not Rose Tico value. If you take a 2nd crew, Thannison will let you completely jam a token stacker/locker if you line up your arc. Phasma also looks to be a good crew with Hondo, since you could stress someone who gets too close and coordinate them next turn for it to fail because they're stressed. Pyre's first ability does that weaker (1 time and the opponent can slow play) but the 2nd ability will keep your Hondo alive longer, given that many self-stressers are out there. Passive defensive muggle mods good, especially if you jam one enemy and gift a useless coordinate to an enemy stressed boi.

12 hours ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

Cost dependent. 2 great Tavson archetypes (Kylo + Tavson + Starkiller/Thannison and Kylo + Tavson + Quickdraw/Holo) run at or just about 200. Upgrading your Biohexacrypt Codes to Hondo might mean demoting Kylo to Blackout or some other ace or perhaps decreasing the not Kylo piece. Probably not worth it.

He will have good value on the Xi, but not Rose Tico value. If you take a 2nd crew, Thannison will let you completely jam a token stacker/locker if you line up your arc. Phasma also looks to be a good crew with Hondo, since you could stress someone who gets too close and coordinate them next turn for it to fail because they're stressed. Pyre's first ability does that weaker (1 time and the opponent can slow play) but the 2nd ability will keep your Hondo alive longer, given that many self-stressers are out there. Passive defensive muggle mods good, especially if you jam one enemy and gift a useless coordinate to an enemy stressed boi.

If you're looking at hyperspace, I'd expect Hondo might be stupid good on a Xi. If your offense ships take the first turn to lock on each other, then Hondo becomes a friendly R3 coordinate with no downside - the token you jam off is just a friendly lock. It's the same game you can play with Holo, i.e. discarding useless tokens in your trade-off. 

6 hours ago, PaulRuddSays said:

If you're looking at hyperspace, I'd expect Hondo might be stupid good on a Xi. If your offense ships take the first turn to lock on each other, then Hondo becomes a friendly R3 coordinate with no downside - the token you jam off is just a friendly lock. It's the same game you can play with Holo, i.e. discarding useless tokens in your trade-off. 

Sure, but on the other hand opponent will also TL the first turn, so offensive potential of Hondo is also lower.

5 hours ago, Boreas Mun said:

Sure, but on the other hand opponent will also TL the first turn, so offensive potential of Hondo is also lower.

That's true but incomplete. There's a definite form of control in pushing your opponent into only single-modded shots. If my opponent keeps locks on their own ships to avoid locking me and having it jammed off, that's a win. Hondo is stupid because you can use it on yourself early game without real penalty, then you have the choice of how to use it opportunistically. 

For example, if your opponent is running Boba Fenn, they have to account for the potential jam on Fenn in any turn that could leave him tokenless and extremely vulnerable. This changes the way you fly because you have to account for the risk tolerance. And I'll also note that the Rules Reference is very clear, in the first bullet on page 13, that Hondo's ability is not considered a Jam action. The Hondo caddy can use Hondo and Jam if they can get a second action in their turn (e.g. new Poe, Squad leader, coordinate, Heff with K2SO, ...). In those edge cases you get a R1 and a R3 jam, meaning you can do really gross things. 

Posted (edited)

Hondo will be a godsend for swarm lists. Coordinating a boost or barrel roll to move an enemy ace out of position and denying that action for repositioning when they activate, or forcing a red action when you know they want to pull a red maneuver to turn around? And then getting to jam another ship? This deal is getting better all the time! If Hondo costs 8 or less, I'm flying Nom Lumb + Hondo + 7 MGTs at the earliest opportunity.

Hondo will also be a huge boon to high initiative crew carriers. Unused Boost and Barrel Roll actions would become liabilities as Han, Dengar or Shuttle Fenn moving last could reposition enemies with perfect information.

I'm actually feeling like this Hondo might need to be prohibitively expensive or get an errata to deny coordinating anything but white Focus/Calculate as soon as people figure out how to utilize Hondo's enemy coordinate maliciously.

166839db4b4a2ed68ddb8a4456cc6536e0e7c203

Edited by Enigami

28 minutes ago, Enigami said:

Hondo will be a godsend for swarm lists. Coordinating a boost or barrel roll to move an enemy ace out of position and denying that action for repositioning when they activate, or forcing a red action when you know they want to pull a red maneuver to turn around? And then getting to jam another ship? This deal is getting better all the time! If Hondo costs 8 or less, I'm flying Nom Lumb + Hondo + 7 MGTs at the earliest opportunity.

Hondo will also be a huge boon to high initiative crew carriers. Unused Boost and Barrel Roll actions would become liabilities as Han, Dengar or Shuttle Fenn moving last could reposition enemies with perfect information.

I'm actually feeling like this Hondo might need to be prohibitively expensive or get an errata to deny coordinating anything but white Focus/Calculate as soon as people figure out how to utilize Hondo's enemy coordinate maliciously.

Consensus is that if you coordinate an enemy ship, that ship--that is, the enemy--gets to pick the action.

26 minutes ago, Enigami said:

Focus/Calculate as soon as people figure out how to utilize Hondo's enemy coordinate maliciously.

If they have the action you can certainly barrel roll them so next turn they'll go over rocks, debris, mines, etc. Or out of arc... Same with the boost action. Hey ship at range 2, boost into r1 of Boba for me... Thank you. Also could coordinate something that's a red action, and so they are stressed, potentially messing up maneuvers and turning red maneuvers into white 2 straights. 

3 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Consensus is that if you coordinate an enemy ship, that ship--that is, the enemy--gets to pick the action.

Ah, that would make sense. That would avoid all the NPE garbage getting to choose your enemy's actions would cause.