97Starvipper

Thrawn in x wing

If thrawn was added to x wing as an empire crew, what do think his ability would be? My brother suggested that his ability should be during the system phase, spend 2 charges. If you do, you may look at all enemies dials range 1 to 3. Comes with 2 charges, single recharge per turn. What would you like to see for thrawn?

He's a genius tactician, so I imagine he'll be powerful and costly. Most likely a double crew slot due to his high rank, or maybe eevn limited to huge ships so that he could oversee the battle without getting involved personally.

I guess it would be fitting for him to have an added coordinate, maybe even linked to focus or calculate (the latter could fit given his cold logic).

Thrawn was a big-picture thinker, so an ability related to dials with a 'global' range would suit him. Maybe some sort of Cassian-like ability, where he could make a guess and peek at an enemy dial regardless of range and on a correct guess (say, difficulty?) would be able to reset a friendly dial?

Personally I'd find it interesting if he could choose 1 friendly ship every round and assign 2 dials to it instead of one, and then during its activation choose which to resolve and which to discard. But since that would cause issue with extra dials being available, it's not going to happen.

Thrawn - crew, 3 charges, non-recurring (maybe double crew)

At the start of the systems phase, you may spend three charges. If you do, pick two ships at range 1-2. They each gain a focus token. During the end phase, you may spend one focus token to regain one charge.

Thrawn uses his cool-headed tactics to put his pawns in place. Then he strategizes for three turns to put another plan in place.

Posted (edited)

Thrawn - Crew, 1 charge, non-recurring

During the systems phase, you may spend one charge. If you do, all friendly ships remove all red tokens. For the rest of the round, after a friendly ship is assigned a red token, it removes that token.

I like the idea of a crazy-powerful one-off ability that just gives you one epic moment. Classic Thrawn springs the trap. Thematically, I like something that rewards players more for planning ahead really well. The more you can act like Thrawn, the more reward you can get out of him.

You could double or triple his cost to give him more charges but that borders on NPE territory. Definitely shouldn't have more than 3, probably not more than 2. 1 seems most fun and keeps him in Sloane-price territory.

Side benefit; it would allow TIE Bombers to K-Turn and reload on the same turn. That's pretty epic on its own. Or you could quiz coordinate a Ciena Ree Daredevil on a ship that was stressed last turn, and still end up with no stress on anything. Oooooohhhhhh.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)

I like some of the idea here but I do wonder if he might be the sort of card that provides something during Setup that could affect the entire game. 

EDIT: I can't think of much that would matter during setup outside of moving obstacles around or letting ships do weird things during Setup. What about getting locks during Setup? Or maybe he would setup some kind of condition, like "priority target" kind of thing that gives a benefit to friendlies attacking that target.

4 hours ago, TedW said:

Most likely a double crew slot due to his high rank, or maybe even limited to huge ships so that he could oversee the battle without getting involved personally.

I agree on double-crew but unless his ability is too limiting in standard play, I think I'd want him in standard play. While very big picture, he sometimes had to get down in the weeds. I think they should try to fit him into standard play, or potentially have a version that's more direct and a version that's more big picture, the latter for epic play.

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Thrawn - Crew, 1 charge, non-recurring

During the systems phase, you may spend one charge. If you do, all friendly ships remove all red tokens. For the rest of the round, after a friendly ship is assigned a red token, it removes that token.

I like the idea of a crazy-powerful one-off ability that just gives you one epic moment. Classic Thrawn springs the trap. Thematically, I like something that rewards players more for planning ahead really well. The more you can act like Thrawn, the more reward you can get out of him.

You could double or triple his cost to give him more charges but that borders on NPE territory. Definitely shouldn't have more than 3, probably not more than 2. 1 seems most fun and keeps him in Sloane-price territory.

Side benefit; it would allow TIE Bombers to K-Turn and reload on the same turn. That's pretty epic on its own. Or you could quiz coordinate a Ciena Ree Daredevil on a ship that was stressed last turn, and still end up with no stress on anything. Oooooohhhhhh.

That would be uber powerful. Dropping all locks would almost be good enough, but preventing locks for a turn is strong, too.

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

That would be uber powerful. Dropping all locks would almost be good enough, but preventing locks for a turn is strong, too.

Yeah actually this should definitely be a one-charge ability. Could still be quite expensive. Only question is if you'd still bring a whole ship to carry him...

Also would be straight-up busted in epic. Haha.

The new Zam wessel has multiple condition cards. So maybe Thrawn can have multiple condition cards, mixed with a little GA97.

Thrawn crew

5 charges (recurring)

AFTER SETUP: Choose either "Entrapped" condition card or "Cunning" condition card and place it facedown. Spend 3-5 charges.

During the system phase, when all charges are active, reveal the facedown condition card.

Entrapped

When revealed, all friendly ships at range 0-3 may perform a 2 bank sideslip maneuver and acquire a focus token. If they do, they receive 1 stress token.

Cunning

Choose an enemy ship. That ships initiative is 0 until the end of this round and receives 1 jam token.

Hmm. Thrawn probably would make most sense in Epic Only; seems like his forte was orchestrating things from a Star Destroyer. That being said, he did spearhead the Defender project. Also, if Palp is in "normal" X-Wing, surely Thrawn could be, too. 

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking something like this:

4 charges (maybe 3?) (1 recur per turn):

"At the end of the System Phase, you may flip 4(3?) charges. If you do, you may choose to treat all of your ship's initiatives collectively as either 0 or as 7 during the Activation Phase. All your ships must then engage at their normal initiative during the Engagement Phase."

This does not capture his ability to read opponents, but there are already a few different "dial flipping" cards out there that all do basically the same thing.

The idea with this is to represent Thrawn's ability to coordinate his forces (regardless of their "initiative," ship type, etc.) and his tactical skill.

Edit: To riff of @ClassicalMoser, this also plays into a "springing the trap" moment where opponents could never quite be sure when it was coming. Also, if choosing 0 OR 7 is too good, maybe just have the card be only 1 of those

Edited by HanScottFirst

Posted (edited)

Ooooo... glad you asked! 😁😁

I really wanted a reflection of his original character created by Timothy Zahn in the Heir To The Empire trilogy. A master strategist that knew what his enemy was going to do before the enemy knew it.  The absolute BEST villain in Star Wars history. Primarily, he did this by studying specie art or the past combat history of his foes... and played them like the incompetent fools they were! 🤣

Obviously this is a tall order. The art studying aspect I don’t think would translate into the game other than flavor text or card art, perhaps. Especially since Thrawn tended to study art prior to engagements. X-wing occurs at the point of engagement.

The big design question is: do you (a) just give X powerful ability to an expensive Thrawn crew card because he was awesomeness incarnate, OR (b) do you allow the PLAYER to BE the white uniformed admiral himself (if he dares)?

If Option A, it’s easy. Just a decision on power level and points most likely managed with charges. If Option B, then the power lies in the gamble of the player (like X bonus for guessing correctly what an enemy ship’s dial is, similar to Casssian crew). 

Two notes: (1) I would want him GOOD. I especially want him more expensive than Vader for thematic reasons. This sort of point level probably means either taking some opponent agency away or giving you red dice. Both are taxed pretty heavily by FFG. (2) There is also a subtler Thrawn theme I would want to pick up on. He could take on more powerful forces with weaker forces. And Thrawn used standard Imperial equipment, the whole TIE Defender plot line aside. He handed people’s butts to them with the TIE/LN!

Thus, I present for your consideration, with a little bit of Option A and B:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

(Unique, 2 crew <Noghri Bodyguards 😁>, Imperial Only)

Adds Action: White Coordinate linked to Red Focus

3 recurring charges

”At the start of the engagement phase, you may spend three charges to choose one enemy ship. If you do, every friendly ship with a V primary attack value of two may roll one additional attack die when attacking the chosen ship with a V primary attack.”

Thoughts on balance.

Obviously the card is limited by hard prices like cost, 2 crew, and 3 charges. Also, the hidden cost of 2 crew is needing a ship that costs 41-76 points plus Thrawn’s price. 

The strategy balance is a bit similar to Leia. Yes you can use his ability for a single shot, but the bigger upside is in getting multiple arcs on the target (Thrawn would KNOW where they were going to fly to 😉)

This does not empower Imp Aces. Which is what I want. I want Thrawn to be the ace. And his execution of the battle strategy with a bunch of generic TIEs to be deadly.

Obviously I mention 2 die only attacks... Idk... allowing for 3 die guns to use it seems scary. I guess you could just cap at 4 dice like 7th fleet gunner. Then you could choose which squad to best run with. 

I don’t know. No play testing. Thoughts??? Tweaks??? What should Thrawn do? Maybe we can start a petition for FFG!  

Edited by JBFancourt

11 hours ago, 97Starvipper said:

If thrawn was added to x wing as an empire crew, what do think his ability would be? My brother suggested that his ability should be during the system phase, spend 2 charges. If you do, you may look at all enemies dials range 1 to 3. Comes with 2 charges, single recharge per turn. What would you like to see for thrawn?

That is incredibly powerful, how would you cost it? I would limit it to one ship, it’s sense on a non force user, that’s how good his strategic ability is. 

I would like to see Thrawn in the game, hopefully a way to bring in the Clawcraft  into X Wing. 

On 8/7/2020 at 10:24 AM, TedW said:

He's a genius tactician, so I imagine he'll be powerful and costly. Most likely a double crew slot due to his high rank, or maybe eevn limited to huge ships so that he could oversee the battle without getting involved personally.

I guess it would be fitting for him to have an added coordinate, maybe even linked to focus or calculate (the latter could fit given his cold logic).

Thrawn was a big-picture thinker, so an ability related to dials with a 'global' range would suit him. Maybe some sort of Cassian-like ability, where he could make a guess and peek at an enemy dial regardless of range and on a correct guess (say, difficulty?) would be able to reset a friendly dial?

Personally I'd find it interesting if he could choose 1 friendly ship every round and assign 2 dials to it instead of one, and then during its activation choose which to resolve and which to discard. But since that would cause issue with extra dials being available, it's not going to happen.

I like the option of 'assigning two dials to an ally, and you get to pick one or the other, when it activates, based on what the enemy did...

On 8/7/2020 at 1:18 PM, Hiemfire said:

Hmm. Thrawn...

Crew Crew.

1 Charge, non-recurring.

Text: "After the Planning Phase you may spend 1 charge, if you do pick up to 3 other friendly ships. Those ships may boost, barrel roll or focus. These are not actions."

Would that apply to ships that don't HAVE the boost or barrel roll action icon?