Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Aido

Rolling opinion thread of WHFRP 3.

Emirikol said:

No family then?  I've got to balance that.  Back in college, I had that kind of time.  :)

Heehee. My college days are sadly rather distant. I've got a husband who I would certainly call my family, but we are childfree by choice. :) Yet I wouldn't say that I don't "have a life" (as you put it) just because I don't have kids! Still, I do see where they'd get in the way of your having oodles of time to come up with your own scenarios on a weekly basis, (I have heavy work duties many weeks out of the year that do the same,) so your point's well taken.

@Herr Arnulfe: LOL. That cracks me up. I can't quite imagine the game evoking that response from my own friends, but I suspect it keeps things from getting boring!

I can't recommend SW enough. there is an advancement cap to characters (it is intended as a more pulpy style game, so you won't get god-level PCs out of it), but I could gush for pages on how entertaining SW is. And the number of settings SW can be ported into is staggering, and the rules really do flow to allow for storytelling as a priority.

Never had a chance to try out Evernight. Hear good things though.

The beauty of SW (IMO) is that for those of us with short setting attention spans you can play through a setting for a while, shift to a new one knowing about 85% of the rules already (they give you setting specific rules, but the bulk of the core are the same) and you can jump right in and start enjoying.

Twelve pages?

Twelve?

Dear Lord what have I done? Seriously? What have I created?

Please for the sake of what's left of my sanity, don't expect me to read it all, please...

ANYWAY!

Two interesting tidbits of information.

Tidbit the first:

I have player number three coming over for character generation in a little under half an hour, which means that next week I can begin running this game in ernest.*

Tidbit the second:

I got winds of magic. Now, admittedly I shouldn't have dragged my wife into a gaming store and I think she's still angry at me over it, but still, I got it.

And...

Well done, a really good supplement, with some quality ways to interprete the rules of the game as well as some top class new information and the book on Tzeentch and the accompanying bits, brilliant. Finally I can really torture my players.

So in conclusion, it's all starting to become a proper dark and horrible setting.

I will of course, have more info once I start properly playing the game.

*I'm not sure how happy Ernest is about having an RPG run inside him.

Welcome back! I was wondering where you were and whether you'd started your game. Have fun with character creation, and let us know how it goes. (I also do recommend reading the 12 pages. They were rather interesting and gave us a sense of how we all view the concept of the RPG differently.)

I got winds of magic. Now, admittedly I shouldn't have dragged my wife into a gaming store and I think she's still angry at me over it, but still, I got it.

I see a misery filled day at the mall and / or Ikea in your future.

Congzilla said:

Hey! My husband loves to go both of those places because

the mall = the Apple Store, Best Buy, the LEGO store, the Nike store, food

IKEA = new furniture for gaming and/or storing games

What in the world else would you do at either of those places?! :)

Crazy Aido said:

Twelve pages?

Twelve?

Dear Lord what have I done? Seriously? What have I created?

that's easy to answer. See your subject, where it says 'opinion'? Gamers are definitely not lacking in offering theirs. ;)

Llanwyre said:

Congzilla said:

Llanwyre said:

Congzilla said:

The mall I can deal with (mmmm Schnickelfritz).

All Ikeas can burn to the ground.  My wife dragged me there once.  I felt like I had just been dropped into the consumer maze from hell.  From the second I got to the top of the escalator (which is one way I might add, this I am sure is done on purpose to counter the exact reaction I had which was "get me out of here NOW!" but nooo they make you walk threw all two stories before herding you into a food court) all I wanted to do was get out. 

Congzilla said:

All Ikeas can burn to the ground.  My wife dragged me there once.  I felt like I had just been dropped into the consumer maze from hell.  From the second I got to the top of the escalator (which is one way I might add, this I am sure is done on purpose to counter the exact reaction I had which was "get me out of here NOW!" but nooo they make you walk threw all two stories before herding you into a food court) all I wanted to do was get out. 

That was my reaction the first time i went to Ikea, but now that i know where everthing is, i go right to what i want and GTFO with little real issue. Can't beat the prices, i just throw/give away my shelves and desks every two years when i move and replace them, so much easier than moving it all.

Ok, so i know this isn't exactly the best place for it, but its as close as i've found, after my recent WHFR3E game exploded (litteraly in this case, as one of my players took the box out into his fire pit and blew it up) we've decided to go back to 2E. does anyone know of a good 2E forum or messege board that i can visit? I have all the books, but i can't find any forums that talk about house rules, and GM help an such like there si here. My google fu is weak in this area.

superklaus said:

Well I would not say that a group has an "abnormal" style if it likes WH3, maybe its only a slight diverging approach to rpgs compared to other more traditional groups which allows your group the acceptance of WH3.

What do you mean by "traditional" groups? Traditionally, there has been an enormous variation in roleplaying styles. Some groups play more tactical combat-oriented, others focus more on story and prefer to skip combats that don't add anything to the story.

superklaus said:

-No mini support and tactical combat for a setting like warhammer? 2nd ed. mini rules are not great, but easy and allow for some tactical decisions and precise movement. The basic concept of areas and not even showing the accurate ranges of distance weapons is a big fail for my simulationist mind.

I see this as a big plus. Some RPGs assume you want to play a tactical wargame, and almost nobody actually does. Those that do want that, tend to play D&D4, which is excellent for this (but only this). Nobody I know ever used the map-based advanced combat rules in WFRP or GURPS, and only rarely in non-4e versions of D&D. Even Shadowrun, a highly tactical combat RPG, seems to ignore miniatures and hex maps (at least I've never used them).

In my experience, most people just fudge and improvise PC positions and what that means in combat. WFRP3 seems to have formalized that approach, and I kinda like it.

superklaus said:

-I dont like dice pools.

I do. At least, I like the idea behind them: one roll, and you get a complete story with positive and negative side effects. I love that. I think I would have preferred it if the actual dice were more balanced. Like there's symmetrical fortune and misfortune dice, I'd also have liked negative characteristic and expertise dice. That would have made opposed rolls a lot more sensible.

superklaus said:

-Components? Basically I like props. For Savage Worlds for example we use Props like chips, bennies and a set of poker cards. But I prefer clever and minimalistic use of props. Those of WH3 seems mostly unnecessary and designed for proprietary reasons, (copy protection for example) and maybe because EVERY FFG game has a lot of fiddly bits (also mostly unnecessary bits IMO) included.

It's what FFG does, I'm afraid. I don't think I've ever seen a FFG game that didn't come with tons of bits and pieces. Tracking tokens are easily replaced by chips or pennies, but generally I do like to have the rules for specific abilities and conditions right there in front of me on the table.

If you want to, you can play without them. It requires a bit of work (printing lists with the rules for all abilities and conditions). Personally I like the more props/card-oriented approach.

superklaus said:

-material for 3 players in the core set? This makes WH3 the first rpg in history which limits the amount of players for economical reasons - only disgusting.

Here I agree. Limiting the Core Set to 3 players is extremely limiting. Lots of groups have 5 or 6 players. At the very least, they should have made it easy (and cheap) to buy bits for more players. As it is, the Adventurer's Kit is way too expensive to fit that role (and contains too much unneeded crap).

superklaus said:

-not really a new start for roleplaying in the warhammer setting. As it seems now they release only few support material per year. If they release the material in this speed the next several years then we get the sourcebook of Talabheim in 2015 and will never be able to see another areas for playing in than the old empire and its neverending stream of chaos cultists. Same chewing gum theme since 20 years - boring. Where are the modules and setting info for elves, dwarfs or arabian adventurers? Where are the fresh setting and adventure ideas? Where are my gyrocopter aircombats? :) (gladly I have them in my home game because of the pure genius of the Savage Worlds ruleset which supports such themes very easily)

But that's hardly fair criticism, is it? 1st edition never had any of those either. Even the magic book that was promised in the basic rulebook took 16 years waiting (and it was far from what was originally planned). A Dwarf book took even longer than that.

My impression is that FFG has a much more ambitious release schedule than that, they plan ahead more, and while the core set is indeed lacking in a lot of these areas, at the rate they're publishing, they'll probably cover elves and dwarfs within two years.

Not that I need it. Most of that stuff is covered in Warpstone articles that are far better than anything FFG could ever hope to publish.