Jump to content
KaLeu

Inferno Squad article up

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Caimheul1313 said:

But not the people who are just now buying in for Clone Wars. They end up having to spend more money than the early players.
I agree that people with a pre-existing collection don't need more, but what about people who are only just starting with the Clone Wars ships? 

To make this whole dial thing EXTRA weird, the Clone Wars starter sets do come with dials.  So until they start releasing standalone expansions, literally nobody needs the dial sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

To make this whole dial thing EXTRA weird, the Clone Wars starter sets do come with dials.  So until they start releasing standalone expansions, literally nobody needs the dial sets.

That makes perfect sense to me. 

You buy 2x cores you're looking at 8 dials (minimum, I don't know the command values of each ship yet). I doubt you'd need more than that at 400 points, and if you do, 1 extra box of them shouldn't break the bank. After that they aren't being wasted. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

They can have some of mine. Literally for free. 

The box of dials is a better way of dealing with it. Worst case, they have to buy 2-3 boxes of extra dials, but then never just have plastic to throw away or eat up storage. 

I can't even count how many of those dials have ended up in a landfill because after the first 2 waves I was full up. 

This also works if one has other Armada players in area who didn't toss the spares. 
I wouldn't really have a complaint at all if this was how the dials were approached in the first place. I thought it odd they didn't do the cardboard dial thing like with X-wing honestly. It's more the sudden change which predominantly impacts the Clone Wars expansions, which may attract completely new players. 

That's an extra $13-26 that new, Clone Wars only players have to pay and another SKU they are reliant upon being in stock to be able to use their ships (if they aren't lucky enough to get spares from someone else). It's not like dice where if you don't have enough, you just roll extras. 


Unless people think there will be a new, 10 command dial limit on fleets. It's been awhile since I've played, so it is possible that that is all that is generally needed, in which case my complaints are moot. (Edit: per the announcements, there are 10 Command Dials in each of the Clone Wars starter fleets)

Edited by Caimheul1313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Darth Sanguis said:

That makes perfect sense to me. 

You buy 2x cores you're looking at 8 dials. I doubt you'd need more than that at 400 points, and if you do, 1 extra box of them shouldn't break the bank. After that they aren't being wasted. 

The Republic and Separatist starters each come with 10 command dials and 8 speed dials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KiAdiMoody said:

The Republic and Separatist starters each come with 10 command dials and 8 speed dials. 

Which means someone buying two (one of each or two of one) would almost definitely never need additional dials.  Why does this dial pack exist again?  Do they think people want a bunch of cardboard pass and round tokens that badly?

 

 

Boy, this thread got derailed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

I assume there is an Inferno Squad for Armada?

You would think so, but no.  Though I'm sure we'll see it eventually.  Perhaps in a future campaign box—just like how they did Ciena Ree and Saber Squadron, they could do Iden and Inferno Squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

You would think so, but no.  Though I'm sure we'll see it eventually.  Perhaps in a future campaign box—just like how they did Ciena Ree and Saber Squadron, they could do Iden and Inferno Squad.

I mean, they could always do a named version of the Imperial Raider like they did for the Chimera.
My complaints are mollified a bit by the number of tokens in the starters I had blindly assumed there were only enough in the box for those ships (personally estimating it at 5) which would have been far too few for fleets from what I recall. I guess the product exists for the same reason as the separate range ruler/movement tools for Legion: to replace lost or damaged items. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Unless people think there will be a new, 10 command dial limit on fleets. It's been awhile since I've played, so it is possible that that is all that is generally needed, in which case my complaints are moot.

Well I think for standard play 10 should more than enough. For sector fleet they may need more, but if you're doing 800-1200 point games anyways, you're deep into the game, likely have 20-40 from the multiple core boxes you purchased anyways, and if not, $15 won't hurt. 

Yeah, not to be antagonistic lol I think it's a moot point. 

@Lochlan makes an excellent point. 

WHO are these packs for?!

Edited by Darth Sanguis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Well I think for standard play 10 should more than enough. For sector fleet they may need more, but if you're doing 800-1200 point games anyways, you're deep into the game, likely have 20-40 from the multiple core boxes you purchased anyways, and if not, $15 won't hurt. 

Yeah, not to be antagonistic lol I think it's a moot point. 

@Lochlan makes an excellent point. 

WHO are these packs for?!

That's fair, like I said a bit later, I was under the wrong assumption that the Clone Wars starters only had 5-6 dials in each. With 10 in each pack (and that being enough for most fleet builds) I'm a bit less concerned and agree it is generally not a concern. 

Honestly, they have to just be for replacements, same as the range rulers and movement tools for Legion. Or for people who try to start into the game without buying a starter... which given the cards required doesn't seem super likely?
Or for people who get stuck with mispacks of the new core sets that don't have the right number of Command dials inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

That's fair, like I said a bit later, I was under the wrong assumption that the Clone Wars starters only had 5-6 dials in each. With 10 in each pack (and that being enough for most fleet builds) I'm a bit less concerned and agree it is generally not a concern. 

Honestly, they have to just be for replacements, same as the range rulers and movement tools for Legion. Or for people who try to start into the game without buying a starter... which given the cards required doesn't seem super likely?
Or for people who get stuck with mispacks of the new core sets that don't have the right number of Command dials inside.

I suppose. lol

I really wish they'd have done a base pack instead. All of my original bases from waves 0-3  are either warped, yellowed or worn out so bad I can't use them. (thinking about it, I've easily logged some 300+ Armada games since I started....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

That's quite an assumption. 

Hard plastics have different injection requirements than soft plastics, they also can require different machines, or may require change over costs. Let's also not forget that with these changes there are new problems they have to account for, which can get expensive during R&D,  like sprue layout, seam lines, bad injection points, pressure issues, and don't even get me started on the investment costs of injection molds. Small, single cavity plastic injection molds usually cost between $1,000 and $5,000. Very large or complex molds may cost as much as $80,000 or more. Considering how much of this product they produce, there's a good chance there are several molds of each sprue they make. It's not a small investment. 

I wouldn't assume Asmodee or FFG is just seeing dollar signs when they're investing to make a superior product and the costs reflect that. 

I didn't say they didn't increase I said the didn't increase 40%. They are no line parting for as much labor now. And those molds are one time costs. Whereas labor is recurring

Edited by Tirion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

Do we have a confirmed list of all seven of the included upgrade cards?

We know three of them for a fact that being Del Meeko, Gideon Hask, and the T-21 heavy upgrade. The Asmodee official store page has the following spread and it should be fairly accurate since the ARCs and Droid Commandos are getting Droid Poppers, Ascension Cables, and Situational Awareness it would make sense to put those in this expansion to give the Empire a means of getting them. Of course this spread also shows Jetpack Rockets so it could be wrong, but it's likely they just accidentally left that in there. 

swl69-image4500.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2020 at 1:32 PM, Darth Sanguis said:

I suppose. lol

I really wish they'd have done a base pack instead. All of my original bases from waves 0-3  are either warped, yellowed or worn out so bad I can't use them. (thinking about it, I've easily logged some 300+ Armada games since I started....)

Lots of 3d printed ebay sellers with bases out there. 

Edited by Varulfr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Varulfr said:

Lots of 3d printed ebay sellers with bases out there. 

None that have the quality or cost efficiency of injected plastic. That said I am looking at manufacturing a 2D laser cut acrylic assembly for replacements. I think they should look pretty dope once completed. 

DfB6pyI.png

Edited by Darth Sanguis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...