stev

After seeing preview what will you be buying this holiday season?

2 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

I cannot understand the prequel trilogy haters. The prequels fleshed out the universe substantially, had some of the best starship designs in Star Wars, and the best lightsaber duels hands-down. So what if some acting was wooden there was plenty of that in the original trilogy too.

I don't mind them as stories. I mind them as movies😂 

(Hopefully my tongue-in-cheek comment came across that way; I have no intention to start a fight. I like the prequels for what they are.)

2 hours ago, CDAT said:

Sorry if I came across as pissed off, I am not. I would say that I am disappointment in FFG as to me it is a no brainier that they need to have product out. But nothing you said even irritated me. If I had any belief that they would magically start supporting the game, then I would likely try to get the game up and running in my local area, but I just have not even a bit of faith that they will support it (actually I have faith, but it is that they will make a short showing with the new factions and then stop supporting it, with out ever giving any more to the current factions).

No worries, just didn't know if I triggered you so figured I should step it back and give my self room to be real.  I agree the stock is pathetic.  I hope it gets better.  I think FFG would do well to get more production capacity.

I'm pleased that my FLGS posted the Clone Wars Armada expansions and I've bought my pre-orders:

• 1 x Republic Fleet Starter
  • 1 x Separatist Fleet Starter
  • 1 x Republic Squadrons Pack
  • 1 x Separatists Squadrons Pack
  • 1 x Upgrade Card Collection

I've decided to wait on buying two of each squadrons pack until FFG reveals more about the squadrons. And admittedly, I caved and pre-ordered the Upgrade Card Collection because of the meaningful updates to the cards. I still don't like the card size changes, but I'll pay the $25 for the points-adjusted cards and to not have refer to an Errata guide anymore.

None at this stage apart from the upgrade cards as I'm not particularly invested in the Clone Wars era of the setting, however I'm glad to see its happening and hope it brings more people into the game, as well as giving me something different to play against when we are finally able to restart our local games clubs post-covid (and assuming I can actually find an opponent, which is a bit of a challenge).

Money will be going towards new Blood Bowl edition instead.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

I cannot understand the prequel trilogy haters. The prequels fleshed out the universe substantially, had some of the best starship designs in Star Wars, and the best lightsaber duels hands-down. So what if some acting was wooden there was plenty of that in the original trilogy too.

It is true that if you mute the film and fast-forward through the plot then it's 30 minutes well spent enjoying vigorous action.

There's only two genres of films that I treat like that, and one of them is The Phantom Plotline and its two sequels.

Edited by flatpackhamster

I WOULD like to get a Providence-Class, to paint up as the Rebel version that exists in the artwork (can't remember where at the moment).  I would do the same with the Acclimator for my Imps, but it sure seems like with it's stats it would make either of my pair of Victories obsolete.

1 hour ago, AegisGrimm said:

I would do the same with the Acclimator for my Imps, but it sure seems like with it's stats it would make either of my pair of Victories obsolete.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if FFG ever does release an Acclamator for the Imperials, my Victories would go back in the box.  Not that I hate the stats, or concept, it's just so...POORLY executed as a model.  It looks exactly like (because it is) an ISD that someone scaled down a few percent and added some greebles to in an effort to distinguish it.  They could *at least* have changed the superstructure stack ratios to imply a different number of decks, or different number of gun batteries (IE., 3 ISD-sized batteries on either side, instead of the same 4 batteries scaled down the way the rest of the ship was).  As-is, it's painfully lazy looking.

So, yeah, the Acclamator has almost the same stats?  Yup, that's filling that slot for my fleet!

2 hours ago, AegisGrimm said:

I WOULD like to get a Providence-Class, to paint up as the Rebel version that exists in the artwork (can't remember where at the moment).  I would do the same with the Acclimator for my Imps, but it sure seems like with it's stats it would make either of my pair of Victories obsolete.

You mean Rebel One?

450?cb=20061114163931

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QCTNG88EJ/armada-providence-destroyer-quot-rebel-one-quot?optionId=97915003&li=shops

4 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if FFG ever does release an Acclamator for the Imperials, my Victories would go back in the box.  Not that I hate the stats, or concept, it's just so...POORLY executed as a model.  It looks exactly like (because it is) an ISD that someone scaled down a few percent and added some greebles to in an effort to distinguish it.  They could *at least* have changed the superstructure stack ratios to imply a different number of decks, or different number of gun batteries (IE., 3 ISD-sized batteries on either side, instead of the same 4 batteries scaled down the way the rest of the ship was).  As-is, it's painfully lazy looking.

The Victory is actually my favorite model in the game. I love its proportions. The ISD is just too big to be consistently pleasing to the eye. Imposing, indubitably, but not pleasing. The VSD hits that sweet spot of compactness and aesthetic that the ISD lacks.

2 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

The Victory is actually my favorite model in the game. I love its proportions. The ISD is just too big to be consistently pleasing to the eye. Imposing, indubitably, but not pleasing. The VSD hits that sweet spot of compactness and aesthetic that the ISD lacks.

I'm speaking more to design of model, not execution.

Certainly FFG's VSD does look **** fine, and is well scaled for a tabletop game.  It's only setting it next to the ISD that the ridiculousness of its design becomes painful.  I mean, in alterna-universe, delete the VSD and scale everything down a touch so FFG's ISD model is the size of the current FFG VSD model?  I'd be game for that.  (Bonus: the SSD looks a bit less ridiculously undersized; you can leave the Home One as-is to better match its EU scaling; much less physical model collisions on the table; etc)  Obviously that ship has sailed, though, and in the end the ISD is the more 'iconic' design that the VSD is a weirdly stunted copy of.

8 minutes ago, xanderf said:

So, yeah, the Acclamator has almost the same stats?  Yup, that's filling that slot for my fleet!

If it was like Fractalsponge's model would you like it more?

vsd98.jpg

vsd109-768x432.jpg

vsd101-768x432.jpg

I think he managed successfully to make it less downscaled ISD in appearance and more of an independent design.

Just now, Piratical Moustache said:

I think he managed successfully to make it less downscaled ISD in appearance and more of an independent design.

Basically, yes - I'd take this over the VSD design we got.  It does, as you note, make it look less like a 'downscaled ISD in appearance' - while retaining much of the feel of the design.  It does look a lot more like something you could see being a prototype of technologies and systems that would become the ISD baseline.

Is there any reason to get the dial pack other than the pass tokens? I have a bucket full of command pucks and speed dials that I already don't need as well as turn tokens from the GCW core set.

18 minutes ago, Crawfskeezen said:

Is there any reason to get the dial pack other than the pass tokens? I have a bucket full of command pucks and speed dials that I already don't need as well as turn tokens from the GCW core set.

No.

30 minutes ago, xanderf said:

I'm speaking more to design of model, not execution.

Certainly FFG's VSD does look **** fine, and is well scaled for a tabletop game.  It's only setting it next to the ISD that the ridiculousness of its design becomes painful.  I mean, in alterna-universe, delete the VSD and scale everything down a touch so FFG's ISD model is the size of the current FFG VSD model?  I'd be game for that.  (Bonus: the SSD looks a bit less ridiculously undersized; you can leave the Home One as-is to better match its EU scaling; much less physical model collisions on the table; etc)  Obviously that ship has sailed, though, and in the end the ISD is the more 'iconic' design that the VSD is a weirdly stunted copy of.

Oh, I dunno. I quite like the missile bays or 'wings' or whatever they are on the sides, those and the antennae blur its profile enough that it is distinct enough from the ISD. Plus, it came first, and with the trend of ever increasing sizes, it makes sense that the ISD is based of the VSD.

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2020 at 5:27 PM, xanderf said:

I agree. I think the ISD as modeled is too big (which is why I don't own any). I find that the VSD simply scales better with the other ships in the game. It just looks right to me, whether you're comparing it to Mon Cal cruisers, the Starhawk, or the Super Star Destroyer. And it still fits that need of having a "Star Destroyer" on the table. The ISD, by comparison, only scales well against the CR90 and Nebulon-B, but then, I don't mind that those have been "upsized" for purposes of aesthetics.

EDIT: Should we ever get the Lucrehulk, Malevolence, Resurgent or MC85, I suspect the VSD will scale better against those as well. It has the Goldilocks touch, in my eyes -- just right.

Edited by Rmcarrier1

Probably going to be getting a separatist starter and separatist squad pack. Simply because I can see myself running flotilla-less with separatists, and we have no confirmed news about flotillas being on the way

1 hour ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

Probably going to be getting a separatist starter and separatist squad pack. Simply because I can see myself running flotilla-less with separatists, and we have no confirmed news about flotillas being on the way

Because the Hardcell has Fleet Support we may not see Flotilla's for a long time, if at all for the new factions.  I am guessing the new Pelta for the Republic is going to get Fleet Support as well instead of Fleet Command.  The Providence and Venator I see as the ships getting Fleet Command.

23 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

vsd98.jpg

vsd109-768x432.jpg

vsd101-768x432.jpg

Not bad at all, it looks more old fashioned.

To be fair the Victory we have is just rejected ISD concept art. I like it but West End Games could have put a little more effort into it like the missile fans in the one you posted. Those are rad.

37 minutes ago, AegisGrimm said:

I actually really like my Victory's, despite their dubious performance.  But I tend to play smaller patrol-style games, where a Victory tends to throw it's weight around better.

They are definitely much better in smaller 3x3 games, just plow down the middle and keep everything in arc.

On 8/4/2020 at 8:28 PM, Piratical Moustache said:

vsd98.jpg

vsd109-768x432.jpg

vsd101-768x432.jpg

You know his desing actually looks like how this ship is supposed to fit in desing wise. An actual ship that looks like its half way beteen a venator and an isd desing wise.