stev

After seeing preview what will you be buying this holiday season?

Although I'm all for buying every new release ASAP in this case I won't buy the starter sets but rather wait till they will be available as separate expansions. I don't want to spend money on maneuver tools, dice, Dials, tokens and damage decks I don't need.

6 hours ago, Norell said:

Although I'm all for buying every new release ASAP in this case I won't buy the starter sets but rather wait till they will be available as separate expansions. I don't want to spend money on maneuver tools, dice, Dials, tokens and damage decks I don't need.

They said in the twitch video that there aren’t plans to release them individually at this time but might release them down the road. You’ll possibly be waiting a long time for an individual release. 

On 7/31/2020 at 7:04 PM, CDAT said:

Most likely not a thing, in my local area they have killed the game by not releasing anything for so long. We had a very active group of about ten or so.

Times to get the hype going again.  

You have your mission should you choose to accept it!

This text will self destruct in 5...

3 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

They said in the twitch video that there aren’t plans to release them individually at this time but might release them down the road. You’ll possibly be waiting a long time for an individual release. 

They actually said and I quote.  "That is something we are looking to do down the road but right now we are focusing on getting the starter sets out."

So pretty much a yes but sorry you guys will have to wait a while so we can get variety for the new factions first.

I asked that question so I was waiting with bated breath for the answer.  If they said "no way, never".  I'd be an idiot and buy 3 starters each to get three of each of the medium ships and sell all the stuff I don't want.

Current plan is 2 of each starter and 1 of each Squad pack although that could change as the Pandemic is putting the screws on and our government can't get its act together.  I am going to try and deposit $25-$50 per month in my FLGS customer account in order to pay for it all.  Being around the holidays and my B-Day helps but I still have to get it myself and give it to people to give to me 🙄.

I have no current desire to get the card pack and will continue using my mini cards for as long as possible. 

Admiral Tater if I really need 10 Pass Tokens, no way I am getting that Dial Pack.

12 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

That's not good to hear because I want to try some Munificent spam lists like Grievous did in Canon.

19 hours ago, Norell said:

Honestly, if you take the MSRP for 2 smalls and a medium ($80) the value isn't terrible after factoring in the squads.

...Granted, 4-6 Hardcells may not some people's cup of tea thematically speaking.

52 minutes ago, Piratical Moustache said:

That's not good to hear because I want to try some Munificent spam lists like Grievous did in Canon.

Ditto, but I'm also thinking that with how fast Armada stock goes it might be a case of them not doing it any time soon and also the fact that then the starters will sell out. I'll likely get 2 of each and hope that we get individuals down the line but I can deal with it if not. 

14 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

We need a pinned post or something because I keep seeing this get brought up. They are coming separately once the boxes are out, just not right away!

11 hours ago, Rune Taq said:

Times to get the hype going again.  

You have your mission should you choose to accept it!

This text will self destruct in 5...

Why? They are still not supporting the game, so why should I put all the effort into trying to get people to play it again when they can not get ships? If FFG will not make the product to sell, the store will not carry it. If the store does not carry it (mine no longer does) the player can not buy it. If the player can not buy it, they can not play with it. If they can not play with it, you can not have a game. So before any of this can change FFG will have to make the product. As it looks like they are not willing (or able) to do this, or at least not even close to the demand, I do not see any reason that I should even try to get a group to play. It will just piss them off when they see stuff that they can not get, or at very least can not get at a reasonable price.

2 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Honestly, if you take the MSRP for 2 smalls and a medium ($80) the value isn't terrible after factoring in the squads.

...Granted, 4-6 Hardcells may not some people's cup of tea thematically speaking.

I suppose $20 for the Starter accessories is a fair-ish price considering the retail prices for the dice pack and the movement tool are $10 and $8, respectively; which means the cardboard and damage deck are a "bargain" for $2.

However, I think that most existing Armada players would've preferred if the faction Fleet Starters were "Fleet Expansions" instead and only contained 1 medium and 2 small ships for $80 MSRP. That would've made it easy for players to buy multiples without wasting money on unnecessary accessories. And FFG could've created a Starter Accessories Kit for $20, which only new players needed to buy (or existing players who wanted extra dice, movement tool, ruler, and damage deck).

Would it really be asking too much of new players to know that they needed to buy a Starter kit? Wouldn't the name be self-explanatory?

Also, it would ensure there would be plenty of Starter Kits for new players, instead of the possibility that existing Armada players will buy up all the Starters -- who just want the new ships and squadrons -- and new players won't be able to get any.

The perfect thing about a Starter Accessories kit is that it would be faction neutral, so that new players don't have to buy the Clone Wars factions; they could choose to buy the Empire or Rebel expansions instead. I'm sure there will be at least some players who had never heard about Star Wars Armada before, but it popped onto their radar because of the upcoming Clone Wars factions, and now they want to buy in with one of the GCW factions. For a single-faction player, buying a $20 Starter Kit and either the $40 Victory SD or $20 CR90 + $20 Nebulon-B would still be cheaper than buying a Core set, and that's not accounting for sales. (The only flaw with that is that I'm uncertain if the Luke Skywalker and Howlrunner squadron cards from the Core set are included in the Upgrade Card Collection, because it's supposed to be only Upgrade cards and those two are Squadron cards.)

IMO that would've been the ideal solution for everyone, but instead FFG seems to have dumbed down the Republic and Separatists Fleet Starter for new players, making them less than ideal for existing Armada players.

That's why I only plan to buy 1 Starter per faction, then I'll wait for the single ship expansions to buy multiples. Whereas if I could get exactly what I wanted on Day 1, I'd buy 2 Acclamators, 4 Munificents, 4 Consulars, and 4 Hardcells.

1 hour ago, Revan Reborn said:

IMO that would've been the ideal solution for everyone, but instead FFG seems to have dumbed down the Republic and Separatists Fleet Starter for new players, making them less than ideal for existing Armada players.

That's why I only plan to buy 1 Starter per faction, then I'll wait for the single ship expansions to buy multiples. Whereas if I could get exactly what I wanted on Day 1, I'd buy 2 Acclamators, 4 Munificents, 4 Consulars, and 4 Hardcells.

I suspect it means they're planning for noticeable growth of the player base, including among people without miniatures experience.  While a 40K player might not mind getting components separately, for a first-timer there's a real psychological effect to getting some plastic spaceships with your essentials, and it means less risk of expansion-hunting unless there are no sets to be had.

The veterans will have to pay a little more than they would have, of course.  Which might well be considered a feature in FFG's eyes.

I pre-ordered the Separatist fleet starter, squadron pack, and upgrade card pack. Yes, after saying I likely wasn't going to buy the card pack, I changed my mind. Score one for FFG! Who else has put in pre-orders?

11 hours ago, Atromix said:

We need a pinned post or something because I keep seeing this get brought up. They are coming separately once the boxes are out, just not right away!

Could you post a link or a direct quote where they stated this?  That’s great if they do but I didn’t see or hear them say that in the live stream.  

22 hours ago, Rune Taq said:

They actually said and I quote.  "That is something we are looking to do down the road but right now we are focusing on getting the starter sets out."

So pretty much a yes but sorry you guys will have to wait a while so we can get variety for the new factions first.

I asked that question so I was waiting with bated breath for the answer.  If they said "no way, never".  I'd be an idiot and buy 3 starters each to get three of each of the medium ships and sell all the stuff I don't want.

I interpret that differently I guess.  Wha to hear from that statement is years down the road when they are running out of ideas for expansions, they will release these ships with an alt paint scheme like the Thrawn expansion.  But it would be cool if it’s only a few months. That’s just not how I interpreted it.  Im probably mistaken I guess. 

On 8/2/2020 at 3:34 PM, ninclouse2000 said:

I'm well aware of that. But unless there are some super-duper must have cards, I won't invest into a complete starter set. Especially because I have a very tight budget.

15 hours ago, CDAT said:

Why? They are still not supporting the game, so why should I put all the effort into trying to get people to play it again when they can not get ships? If FFG will not make the product to sell, the store will not carry it. If the store does not carry it (mine no longer does) the player can not buy it. If the player can not buy it, they can not play with it. If they can not play with it, you can not have a game. So before any of this can change FFG will have to make the product. As it looks like they are not willing (or able) to do this, or at least not even close to the demand, I do not see any reason that I should even try to get a group to play. It will just piss them off when they see stuff that they can not get, or at very least can not get at a reasonable price.

Ok, sorry.  Wasn't trying to get you pissed.  Weather it's armada or another game, I hope you have an enjoyable gaming experience with your friends in you comunity.  Sorry that FFG made it hard in your area.  

3 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

I interpret that differently I guess.  Wha to hear from that statement is years down the road when they are running out of ideas for expansions, they will release these ships with an alt paint scheme like the Thrawn expansion.  But it would be cool if it’s only a few months. That’s just not how I interpreted it.  Im probably mistaken I guess. 

Could be either that's why there were criptic. It's not in development yet but my understanding is it is the plan at some point.  I think they want a solid variety of ships then they will the the individual expansions out from core 

I guess there is a fair amount of interpretation to be had with that statement, but from what I got from the phrasing is that the "...right now we are just focusing on getting the starter sets out." Is that they are just trying to get the CW ships into everyone's hands and to have a basic amount of variety when it comes to fleet builds for the new factions before going back and releasing the repackage ships. I'd be expecting them to drop around wave 3, where each side has at least 4 different ships and a decent selection of upgrades and squadrons. It's not ideal but the answer they gave is far from the "maybe" that I see some people touting.

Anyways just my 2¢, feel free to disagree, I could as well be very wrong in the end :P

Didn't vote because my answers are still up in the air, the most likely possibilties are:

CIS starters, squadron pack, and upgrade card pack

-or-

Just an upgrade card pack

Not going to commit to a new faction until I get a clearer picture of everything though.  I've already stuck to rebels and ignored imperials so far, ignoring 2 more factions wouldn't kill me.  My interest on the new factions is pretty dependent on how much new life gets breathed into Rebels with the upgrade card pack and the activation changes that were teased.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:35 PM, Gräfin Zeppelin said:

Nothing untill they continue with Star Wars, not interested in these George Lucas Clone War fanfictions.

I cannot understand the prequel trilogy haters. The prequels fleshed out the universe substantially, had some of the best starship designs in Star Wars, and the best lightsaber duels hands-down. So what if some acting was wooden there was plenty of that in the original trilogy too.

1 hour ago, Rune Taq said:

Ok, sorry.  Wasn't trying to get you pissed.  Weather it's armada or another game, I hope you have an enjoyable gaming experience with your friends in you comunity.  Sorry that FFG made it hard in your area.  

Sorry if I came across as pissed off, I am not. I would say that I am disappointment in FFG as to me it is a no brainier that they need to have product out. But nothing you said even irritated me. If I had any belief that they would magically start supporting the game, then I would likely try to get the game up and running in my local area, but I just have not even a bit of faith that they will support it (actually I have faith, but it is that they will make a short showing with the new factions and then stop supporting it, with out ever giving any more to the current factions).