Sign in to follow this  
Twn2dn

Joining the NYC meta...

It sounds like my wife may have landed a job in NYC teaching at City University of NY, and we could move up to NYC as soon as August. This isn't 100% yet, but it sounds fairly certain. The move promises to be a big change, but looking forward to seeing the NYC meta folk more regularly :P

Since I have very little experience with NYC other than my brief trips up there for AGOT (and a couple other random excursions), can anyone provide advice/guidance on any of the following questions?

1. My wife will teach at CUNY's Kingston campus in Brooklyn. Is Brooklyn a good place to live...ie, is it relatively affordable, safe, and easily accessible to other parts of NYC? (I haven't found a job yet, so I need to make sure that wherever our future apartment is allows me to commute into the city, if necessary.)
  2. If Brooklyn is a good place to live, what should I expect for rent for a 2-bedroom apartment? If Brooklyn is a bad place to live (or if I just want to keep my options open), would Queens be a decent alternative? (We're hoping to live in a suburb rather than Manhattan.)
  3. How far is Brooklyn/Queens from the regular AGOT game shops/venues? Though it will be only a minor factor in my decision making, if two apartments turn out to be equally enticing, this could be a small but deciding factor in where we live :P

Thanks guys! (Sorry to post a pseudo-non-AGOT-related post in the general forums. But you guys are all I have when it comes to NYC wisdom/living.)

Whoa! Great to hear you'll be joining our ranks soon. I work in the ciy, but it has been about 10 years (geez, hard to believe that) since I lived in the city. When I did, it was in Brooklyn Heights, which is just accross the river and near where the Brooklyn Bridge is.  I liked that area a lot -nice little "main street" of its own with shops and dining and felt safe pretty safe.  But I'm really not current on good/bad neighborhood scene or what rents are. As for game shops, there is Kings Game in Brooklyn (not sure where exactly, I've never been there, and I don't know if they stock AGoT) and Compleat Strategist in Manhattan, which you are familiar with and definitely stocks the game. Our meetups are at the same cafe that we've had our tournaments at including the upcoming Kingsmoot. I'm thinking it's probably about 20-30min to get from B Heights to midtown.

Wait, what am I thinking?!?! You're way too good of a player for me to want to play (and lose to) on a regular basis. This is a horrible development.  At least I'm not at risk of losing "best looking NYC meta member" status. lengua.gif (Anyone who's met me in person will know instantly that is obviously a joke.)

LetsGoRed said:

Wait, what am I thinking?!?! You're way too good of a player for me to want to play (and lose to) on a regular basis. This is a horrible development.  At least I'm not at risk of losing "best looking NYC meta member" status. lengua.gif (Anyone who's met me in person will know instantly that is obviously a joke.)

~After seeing stags lovely physique I would totally vote you best looking NYC Meta Member! Although come to think of it, I'd probably vote Sithlord.

finitesquarewell said:

this whole thread makes me go :-(, lol.

Yeah, this is definitely a bittersweet move :( ...lots of fun gaming experiences down here in DC. (Also, when I got here, there was no DC meta, and I'm really happy that it's grown to be such a competitive, albeit small, meta. I credit Erick for most of both of those though gui%C3%B1o.gif)

@Letsgored: Looking forward to seeing you more often...~and knocking the NYC guys around a bit :P (In all seriousness, deckbuilding could get harder. Erick has a pretty good habit of telling me when my ideas have gone a bit too far into left field, a phenomenon that happens quite a bit. I'll definitely miss the reality-check moments there.)

@GJChris: Thanks! I just sent a pm/friend request. (It's kind of annoying that I can't just send pm's to people, but I guess that cuts down on spam.)

Staton said:

LetsGoRed said:

~After seeing stags lovely physique I would totally vote you best looking NYC Meta Member! Although come to think of it, I'd probably vote Sithlord.

* snort* My dark good looks have been the downfall of mnay more pretty young women that sithlord's exotic intellectualism. My place in teh rnakings of attaractive players in the NY meta remains secure.

Dan: it will be seriously great to get in games with you on a regular basis. we ahve formal meetups in NY at least twice a month, and if you do end up in Brooklyn - there is a pretty big pool of players there out of the brooklyn wargames club. They do seem to like melee though.....

Sad day, we'll miss you down here.

My friend lives in Brooklyn, it's not the nicest area I've ever been in, but it's functional.  And if you want a hair cut at 1am that appears to be an option.  He's near the Prospect Park area, it's about a 45 minute commute by train to mid manhattan.  I'll be staying with him when I'm up for the Tourney later this month.

Anyway, sad to see you go, but hope you can find work and a nice place to live up there, and not be too far away from the gaming centers.  :)