Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Happy Friday - A tale of 2 Poes

Posted (edited)

New Poe is definitely more interesting. He doesn't trigger as often however, not sure how the costing is going to work on him now. With the other new T-70 upgrades he can really make a Squad unpredictable. I still think the current Poe is over costed tbh, I think he should sit in the 62-64 range. 

With the USB cannon also giving T-70 additional arcs and more time on target and overdrive thrusters in the mix its really hard to say how much impact these are going to be in the meta and how good the old or new Poe is going to be. 

Plus there are additional upgrades they were hinting at. An upgrade card that deals with the state of S-foils, a X-wing only upgrade... (these two might be one and the same). New Astromechs weren't mentioned but can be seen in the marketing. Speaking of which, we're gonna get a Resistance R2-D2 to go with Poe. 

I'm pretty hyped to see what's to come and how these handle tbh, think T-70 Ace arc dodgers could be a thing with the right upgrades. 

Nein with PA, Overdrive thrusters is exciting too. 

Edited by Tyhar7

1 hour ago, Tyhar7 said:

Nein with PA, Overdrive thrusters is exciting too. 

Can you explain this to me? I see it come up a lot but I don’t see it.

Nien doesn’t have a way to do a red boost, which is a prerequisite of overdrive.

He would need Poe to make it red, but that implies he has two stresses (one from the red move or else why Pattern) and one from a red action, and he can only shed away one of them in his activation with the pilot ability.

White boosts remain at 1 speed. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Can you explain this to me? I see it come up a lot but I don’t see it.

Nien doesn’t have a way to do a red boost, which is a prerequisite of overdrive.

He would need Poe to make it red, but that implies he has two stresses (one from the red move or else why Pattern) and one from a red action, and he can only shed away one of them in his activation with the pilot ability.

White boosts remain at 1 speed. 

Overdrive thrusters is any red boost, barrel Roll or Slam. 

All the T-70's have a focus -> Red Barrel Roll with the wing closed. 

With Nien specifically with his ability "After you gain a stress token, if there is an enemy ship in your front arc at range 0-1, you may remove that stress token." he can reposition with a focus, red Barrel roll using a 2 template and clear the stress if he gets into arc. 

Now add to that Pattern Analyser which allows you to have an action before you deal with stress. So now Nien can Talon or K-turn, Focus -> Red Barrel roll with a 2 template, if he is in range 1 arc he can then clear all his stress and take another action.

If you add new Poe into the mix he can get another red action on top of THAT and still clear the stress.    

Edit:

Just to follow onto this. PA is one of those upgrade cards that would allow you to leave the board edge and return without getting destroyed because of when it triggers. A Talon Roll off the board and a focus -> red BR 2 template back on is also something to watch out for. 

Edited by Tyhar7

New Poe is definitely more interesting.  Personally , I felt the first version was a generic max Initiative pilot with push the limit (kind of boring).  New Poe will make your squad less predictable.  

5 hours ago, reqent said:

New Poe is definitely more interesting.  Personally , I felt the first version was a generic max Initiative pilot with push the limit (kind of boring).  New Poe will make your squad less predictable.  

Yeah he's like a push the limits with coordinate ship now.

Not sure if he'd of been better as spend 1 charge on himself and 2 charges on someone else. But I guess that would be a straight upgrade to the current one. The 2 pilots have thier uses this way.

I really like the new Poe as a force multiplier rather than a wannabe-Ace, but he'd have to be the right price to be any better. Current Poe is too expensive for what he does, and I expect new Poe to be similarly overcosted because he can affect other ships and not himself.

Ultimately, I'm staying positive until October, but I won't be heartbroken if I keep flying old Poe instead - I figure that Resistance isn't the faction you fly to win tournaments, and if it is, you should probably stay away from Poe anyway; so you may as well use what you enjoy.

Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2020 at 8:41 PM, Maui. said:

New Poe should be a few points cheaper than old Poe

This.

New Poe being able to affect other ships isn't as powerful as one might first expect, because 9 times out of 10 that extra action would be best used by your i6, anyway. New Poe will only really be useful if you have a specific plan in mind for someone to leverage the extra action (eg. the Nien shenanigans mentioned up-thread, or some Rey wombo-combo); without that plan, old Poe is going to be the better choice.

Edited by DR4CO