Sign in to follow this  
Cryix

what do we do with all these duplicate unique pilots?

Hi all, despite having played (very very casually) since the beginning of 1.0, i have never figured out what to do with all the duplicate unique pilot cards that stack up when you buy 2 or 3 of the same expansion pack while also having picked up the conversion kits. trying to organize my collection during 'rona downtime (it got a bit messy switching from 1.0 to 2.0) and struggling with making it all fit nicely.

For example, my wife really likes flying FO ships, so we have 2 special forces ties. I have 2 ywing expansions cause i love that new model. What do i do with that second and third copy of backdraft, phasma, or Evaan? doesnt feel right to just toss them but unlike the dials and generics, there's not really a point to selling them to anyone since they would have had to buy either the conversion kit or the expansion in order to get the dials and/or model. Same with the bases. Half the time, that duplicate unique is on the back side of a generic so you cant get rid of it as easily as tossing a card.

Even with my relatively modest collection though i am running out of space to store all this stuff (3 plano trays, a backpack and a sack lol) and when i look at upcoming waves, all i see is how many duplicate cards i am going to end up with because i want to see a bunch of eta 2's, tri fighters, and tie brutes on the table. A man only needs so many Anakin Skywalker cards though. (One, actually).

Makes me wonder if they need to come up with a way to only include generics in the packs and distribute the unique aces some other way.

Anyway, would love to hear some thoughts on how you all deal with this.

I just keep duplicates in my card piles. There's occasionally the possibility of my opponents (who use my ships and cards) playing same pilots as me, and otherwise they just act as spares and/or make finding the right pilot faster...

There is no "solution" to this. Any idea of leaving uniques to separate packs or whatever would make things harder to new people, and overall probably more expensive. 

If you can't store them, then i suggest either throwing them away, or giving them away to people who like Star Wars (who knows, they might get interested in the game).

Trade😁

No seriously: consider posting up with your extra stuff in the trade thread, and see if others are looking for it. Some of the more common components might not move, but you never know. People have plenty of interesting stuff to trade too, including things like unofficial alt art cards.

Now that i think of it, there is one possible solution: Making all card components electronic. But that comes with its own set of problems, like the application itself, connectivity (is it required, or should players have portable devices that can be shown to the opponent?), determining shield/charge/force levels, along with many other issues. Probably not a realistic solution at the moment.

Don't think hybrid electronic-tabletop games are a thing really.

40 minutes ago, CoffeeMinion said:

Trade😁

No seriously: consider posting up with your extra stuff in the trade thread, and see if others are looking for it. Some of the more common components might not move, but you never know. People have plenty of interesting stuff to trade too, including things like unofficial alt art cards.

for some stuff that may work but unless I am willing to part with the dial as well (which isnt a duplicate component) the person on the other side of the trade would have to have also bought the expansion to have the ship and base. Or i guess somehow lost the card but nothing else. Seems limited in potential opportunities.

Back in the day, I used to keep a second copy of the card in case I was playing against a new player who wanted to try the same pilot I was flying. These days to avoid mirror matches I don't do that but it depends on your flavor. Anything else; trade with people.

I have a carrier case with the amount of a ship I can use on the table. So this means each unique once and then all generics to the amount I have them/fit in a 200pt list.

Al the unused cards are stored on a couple piles in a cabinet together with things like the cardboard tokens. I don't thrash them as you never know you can make someone else happy with them. Or even though the cards I use are sleeved one might get damaged so I will replace it with a copy from the storage.

I keep them. Some card or cardboard inlay might get spilled on or it gets lost, especially if playing not only at home!

And you can proxy, if something is unavailable. I still do not have Hotshots and Aces (completely impossible to get a copy somewhere in Northern Europe), so to e.g. field Fifth Brother, I take a double Seventh Sister cardboard inlay and Pilot card, both with a PostIt paper on them, marking them as Fifth Brother.

Keep and file as normal. Then I can make more than one list with the pilot without having to move stuff around necessarily. I do not mind having spares for what I could trade them for. 

2nd box for all extra cards.  Three copies of Talli or 15 copies of Proton Torpedoes etc.  Just shove em in another box.  I'll occasionally paint up and sell a ship so it's worth hanging on to the extras.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Woorloog said:

Now that i think of it, there is one possible solution: Making all card components electronic. But that comes with its own set of problems, like the application itself, connectivity (is it required, or should players have portable devices that can be shown to the opponent?), determining shield/charge/force levels, along with many other issues. Probably not a realistic solution at the moment.

Don't think hybrid electronic-tabletop games are a thing really.

No offense meant by this but are you being sarcastic with that last line? Lots of games are using apps instead of physical components. Look at Warmachine/Hordes, which everyone just uses the Warroom app for cards and damage tracking. It allows the designers to quickly fix issues since they can errata cards and costs and everyone gets the update automatically without having to futz around with outdated cards. I mean, you can print out updated cards from their website if you really want to, but its a waste of paper and ink.

Honestly, FFG hanging onto the business model of selling cardboard is kinda going away from miniature games. At least they are coming around with more upgrade packs instead of trying to force people to buy multiple models to get the necessary upgrade cards so that they are "legal" for tournament play.

Edited by kris40k

2 minutes ago, kris40k said:

No offense meant by this but are you being sarcastic with that last line?

No, as far as i know hybrid things are rare to nonexistent. I'm not sure i've ever heard of the game you mention (might've, but sure haven't heard of it using an app). But are they a thing? One game doesn't count really.

Posted (edited)

While WarmaHordes's popularity may not be as high today as it has been, especially with a lot of people waiting to see what they do with Warcaster, its not a small name in the world of miniature wargames. Just a quick search showed them ranked 3rd back in 2018 over Star Wars: Legion, and X-Wing (but X-Wing was kinda in a holding pattern with the 2nd Edition looming in the fall around then).

If you want something maybe a bit closer to home, you could look at FFG's other board games, like Mansions of Madness, Descent,or  Star Wars: Imperial Assault, which use a hybrid of an app to track the game state such as what enemy groups are still alive, the map in play, and what objectives have/have not been interacted with, while using tokens and other physical components to track other parts of the game state.

Edited by kris40k

On 7/30/2020 at 2:57 PM, Cryix said:

Anyway, would love to hear some thoughts on how you all deal with this.

I toss all of my dupes and cardboard tokens I won't use in a cardboard box in the closet. 

Every once in a while, I go though the box, consolidate cards, and toss extra, extras. I like to keep a batch of cards in case I damage the ones I'm using, but I don't need more than 1 unique backup and a few of each upgrade.