Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ClassicalMoser

Upgrade Box from GenCon Reveal

Recommended Posts

So why is no one talking about this?

We've finally been promised something we've longed for forever; a way to get all the upgrades we need without having to buy ships we don't want!

WVXk3AR.png

jAkECTo.jpg

For someone like me with a very limited collection, this is basically a dream-come-true.

Also of note; these are definitely standard Poker/LCG-sized cards, and they seem to have some new iconography, though it looks at first blush like the points are the same. Does this mean anything else big for Armada?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a big move. I'm kind of annoyed in the fact that I'll need ANOTHER storage solution for my upgrades, and I have a large collection of alt-art upgrades, but I get it.

 

The only issue I see here is running out of space to put down all of your ship and upgrade cards. I mean. . .picture a fully-kitted SSD with all them upgrade cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
14 minutes ago, reegsk said:

I think this is a big move. I'm kind of annoyed in the fact that I'll need ANOTHER storage solution for my upgrades, and I have a large collection of alt-art upgrades, but I get it.

 

The only issue I see here is running out of space to put down all of your ship and upgrade cards. I mean. . .picture a fully-kitted SSD with all them upgrade cards.

 

Same here.  I really like the idea and I hope they do more card packs, but I'd rather have smaller cards to take up less space on the table.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, reegsk said:

I think this is a big move. I'm kind of annoyed in the fact that I'll need ANOTHER storage solution for my upgrades, and I have a large collection of alt-art upgrades, but I get it.

 

The only issue I see here is running out of space to put down all of your ship and upgrade cards. I mean. . .picture a fully-kitted SSD with all them upgrade cards.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this being a problem.

It worked okay with X-Wing 2nd edition, because:

  • The X-Wing cards could be easily split into squad-building data and 'needed in game' data that you could overlap the cards in use
  • In any case, ships in X-Wing didn't tend to have as many upgrades ON them - at least, compared to ships in Armada.

This just feels like it's going to be an enormous headache to manage...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. I think the Upgrade Card Pack is great for new players and existing Armada players with small collections and/or haven't been able to get the rarer ships, like the Arquitens or SSD.

However, I don't like the card size increase from Mini-American to Standard size -- or the ship cards being reduced from tarot to standard size either. I love the tarot size cards!

I'd genuinely like to know why FFG decided to change the card sizes, because it seems completely unnecessary and is really inconvenient for existing Armada players.

The thing I'm most concerned with about the Upgrade Card Pack is how many copies of non-unique Upgrade cards will there be in the pack? Because the Legion Upgrade Card Pack had 2-3 copies of upgrade cards. I presume that the Armada Upgrade Card Pack will have 2-3 copies too. That's not bad... but it doesn't match my collection of cards. So if I wanted to replicate my Armada card collection in the new standard size card format, I would probably need to buy multiple upgrade card packs. I'm not happy about that.

It makes me wish that FFG would offer some kind of "Loyalty" discount to existing Armada players.

The ideal solution would be an online order form or website that would allow existing Armada players to order upgrade cards à la carte for a reasonable price per card, and FFG would assemble the card collection and send it to us. That would be my preference, rather than buy 2 or more Upgrade Card Packs and getting duplicate Commanders, Ship Titles, and unique Officers that I can't use -- it's a waste!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Revan Reborn said:

I agree. I think the Upgrade Card Pack is great for new players and existing Armada players with small collections and/or haven't been able to get the rarer ships, like the Arquitens or SSD.

However, I don't like the card size increase from Mini-American to Standard size -- or the ship cards being reduced from tarot to standard size either. I love the tarot size cards!

I'd genuinely like to know why FFG decided to change the card sizes, because it seems completely unnecessary and is really inconvenient for existing Armada players.

The thing I'm most concerned with about the Upgrade Card Pack is how many copies of non-unique Upgrade cards will there be in the pack? Because the Legion Upgrade Card Pack had 2-3 copies of upgrade cards. I presume that the Armada Upgrade Card Pack will have 2-3 copies too. That's not bad... but it doesn't match my collection of cards. So if I wanted to replicate my Armada card collection in the new standard size card format, I would probably need to buy multiple upgrade card packs. I'm not happy about that.

It makes me wish that FFG would offer some kind of "Loyalty" discount to existing Armada players.

The ideal solution would be an online order form or website that would allow existing Armada players to order upgrade cards à la carte for a reasonable price per card, and FFG would assemble the card collection and send it to us. That would be my preference, rather than buy 2 or more Upgrade Card Packs and getting duplicate Commanders, Ship Titles, and unique Officers that I can't use -- it's a waste!

That assumes that the current cards need to be replaced. If they are still game-legal, then existing players do not need to buy the upgrade card pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

That assumes that the current cards need to be replaced. If they are still game-legal, then existing players do not need to buy the upgrade card pack.

I'm aware that existing players won't be "required" to upgrade to the new standard size cards...

But let's be real: "Hardcore" Armada players will feel obligated to upgrade, even though they don't "need" to. The mere existence of the new cards will exert pressure on Armada players to upgrade.

It's comparable to the artificial, psychological pressure that iPhone loyalists feel (some might call it a compulsion) to upgrade to a new iPhone every year, even when it's an "S model" year.

That same pressure applies to game like Armada and X-Wing, and probably Legion in a few years. FFG/Asmodee knew that when they chose to change the cards' sizes and create the Upgrade Card Collection Pack. I'm certain that they're counting on that pressure to drive sales.

I'd wager that if I'm wrong and it turns out that only new Armada players end up buying the Upgrade Card Collection, it would be an embarrassing and costly failure for FFG. I don't want that, but I really don't want to buy the Upgrade Card Collection either.

Edited by Revan Reborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Revan Reborn said:

I'm aware that existing players won't be "required" to upgrade to the new standard size cards...

But let's be real: "Hardcore" Armada players will feel obligated to upgrade, even though they don't "need" to. The mere existence of the new cards will exert pressure on Armada players to upgrade.

It's comparable to the artificial, psychological pressure that iPhone loyalists feel (some might call it a compulsion) to upgrade to a new iPhone every year, even when it's an "S model" year.

That same pressure applies to game like Armada and X-Wing, and probably Legion in a few years. FFG/Asmodee knew that when they chose to change the cards' sizes and create the Upgrade Card Collection Pack. I'm certain that they're counting on that pressure to drive sales.

I'd wager that if I'm wrong and it turns out that only new Armada players end up buying the Upgrade Card Collection, it would be an embarrassing and costly failure for FFG. I don't want that, but I really don't want to buy the Upgrade Card Collection either.

I'm mean I'm somebody who owns and least 1 of every expansion currently released. And I have absolutely no desire to by this. I dont need the duplicate cards and I'm perfectly content with my smaller upgrades. Plus I'm sure I'll get the bigger versions of the upgrades as I by the new clone wars factions (not that I want them or will use them if I can just use the smaller copy of thr upgrade)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lunitic501 said:

I'm mean I'm somebody who owns and least 1 of every expansion currently released. And I have absolutely no desire to by this. I dont need the duplicate cards and I'm perfectly content with my smaller upgrades. Plus I'm sure I'll get the bigger versions of the upgrades as I by the new clone wars factions (not that I want them or will use them if I can just use the smaller copy of thr upgrade)

We'll see...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Revan Reborn said:

I'm aware that existing players won't be "required" to upgrade to the new standard size cards...

But let's be real: "Hardcore" Armada players will feel obligated to upgrade, even though they don't "need" to. The mere existence of the new cards will exert pressure on Armada players to upgrade.

I am not buying this unless it comes with something special. Owning 2 SSD I think I am a "Hardcore" Armada player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mad Cat said:

I wonder if all these upgrade cards will have their errata included in the wording? such as...

TRCs - Exhaust
Avenger - Exhaust
Rieekan - Once per turn
Galant Haven - To a min of 1
.

 

If they include updated card wordings I'd be willing to purchase it just for that.  I have a terrible time remembering every bit of errata or FAQ change etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not a fan of the size change. Table space can be a pain as it is sometimes.

Furthermore, even if you are inclined to get this pack, will it have at least 3 of those key cards that you often field multiples of, intel officer, TRCs etc?

And what about ship titles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I still don't understand are the faction uniques.

If I am new to the game with a new faction I don't need Ackbar o Kallus.

If I'm not new don't need them either.

If I'm new to the game with an old faction I'm likely buying one of each expansion at least. 

Piett or Leia (officer) might make sense as they come in the most expensive products, Hondo comes only on a Rebel expansion but Kallus?

Ok, let's say I buy you're gonna play the Empire and want Motti but not a second Vic, are titles included amongst these upgrades? Cause I guess you'd like Warlord but I don't see the point of owning a Demo without a glad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like standard size for ships. I love the promo that are this way and I love the full art revealing when the ships explodes. I'd like to make my own with an art of the ships being destroyed. I like the tarot too but the standard is just better for storage and gaming space.

I definitely don't like standard size for upgrade cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me this is great in terms of cards that I don't own to be able to use. Missing Glad, SSD, Arq, and Onager for Imps. More for rebs. But what happens when a reprint for Mc30 comes? New size cards? none? Small ones? Cause I do want those iconic ships and the builds I keep reading about tied to those ships.

Space I also agree on but it is what it is. It will take time getting used to flipping to see ship stats and the ship upgrade bar. Compared to a quick glance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As some who owns at least 1 of every ship I like the current Mini-American size, but my eyes do not. I'll pick up the card pack for sure and be glad for the slightly larger text. I am however against the ship cards being reduced, my eyes again and I like the layouts on the tarot cards. now to sleeve all these cards again that's going to be the horrible part lol

I am confident that there will not be a "requirement" to change to the standard size. I'm sure there will be gutie a few players not buying into the size changes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Revan Reborn said:

I'm aware that existing players won't be "required" to upgrade to the new standard size cards...

But let's be real: "Hardcore" Armada players will feel obligated to upgrade, even though they don't "need" to. The mere existence of the new cards will exert pressure on Armada players to upgrade.

It's comparable to the artificial, psychological pressure that iPhone loyalists feel (some might call it a compulsion) to upgrade to a new iPhone every year, even when it's an "S model" year.

That same pressure applies to game like Armada and X-Wing, and probably Legion in a few years. FFG/Asmodee knew that when they chose to change the cards' sizes and create the Upgrade Card Collection Pack. I'm certain that they're counting on that pressure to drive sales.

I'd wager that if I'm wrong and it turns out that only new Armada players end up buying the Upgrade Card Collection, it would be an embarrassing and costly failure for FFG. I don't want that, but I really don't want to buy the Upgrade Card Collection either.

I have to disagree, I will continue using the Tarot and Mini cards for my Rebel and Imperial lists and will also use them in GR and CIS lists if needed.  I am not wanting for any more upgrades of the cards that I have.  I have no desire to get these and I think most of the players in my area would say the same.

That said, new and newer players will definitely want to get this.  I would imagine that it will be a must have for those folks.  

I also won't be buying the dial pack.  If there is indeed a need to have all those pass tokens I will just get third party versions.

I would also agree that sideboards are going to be a mess now.  Sure I have some lists that would still fit fine but I have others that barely fit now and will be a disaster to manage with the new cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...