PokemonRegicedkkd

Is ion cannon on a bwing a good idea?

I am relatively new to x wing and I haven’t played with ion cannons before.  I am not sure if it is a good idea to equip on wings.  I have two b wings,  two x wings, and one y wing.  I don’t know if there is a squad that works with the cannons.  Thanks.  

Personally, I don’t put ion cannons on b-wings since they are the most expensive cannon and the b-wing’s primary weapon is a 3 dice attack.

Tractor beam, on the other hand, is handy with foils and other same initiative (or lower) ships in your squad.

Sadly cannons on stock B-wings are not a favorable upgrade since you are giving up a 3 dice primary attack for a 3 dice cannon and paying significant points for it. Ions are somewhat more compelling replacing a 2 dice attack like a Scyk since the cannon has a better chance of just plain hitting than the standard weapon.

If you can get a hold of the Hotshots and Aces card pack* it includes two copies of the B-wing only upgrade Stabilizer Foils! With this you don't have to give up your primary attack since as long as you don't use your target lock on the primary you can spend it to make a bonus attack with the cannon. :)

* Aside from Stab Foils, Hotshots and Aces Reinforcement Pack also has an interesting i5 B-wing pilot(passes away her stress), passive sensors(worth considering for torpedo B-wings), Autoblasters(a worthwhile alternative to ion cannon if you like to get close with your B-wings), a slew of force powers for Luke, ...and a bunch of cards for other ships/factions. If you have a group you play X-wing with and don't intend to branch out into most factions I would recommend splitting this pack with a friend.

I agree.  Only add a cannon if you have foils.  But then you need to get locks for the double attack.  So if you're going that route, a Fire Control System is a good buy for 2 points.  You can preroll one die on the primary and then still get two attacks.  Foils+FCS+Ion = 10 points, which is a lot of upgrade, but packs a big punch.  Foils+FCS+Autoblaster is only 7, but shorter range and fewer dice.

Posted (edited)

Ten Numb can slap someone with Primary and follow up with a free Ion Cannot shot to force an Ion Maneuver. Only problem is, the build is costly and most of the time you are better of shooting Autoblasters for additional damage.

• Ten Numb (48) - B-Foils (2), FCS (2), Ion Cannon (6)
  • Ten Numb (48) - B-Foils (2), FCS (2), Autoblasters (3)

One hurts more, the other controls more.  I really don't think Ion Cannon is worth it on him though. Autoblasters have 2 Dice, but you add 1 for Bullseye and if you are not in the Front Arc of the enemy, they cannot cancel Crit results. Marksmanship is your boi here. Thanks to the Foils you can now Roll > Red Lock to aim that Bullseye and then unload two attacks, with at least one being double modded. If you don't eat the stress, you can then follow up with a double tap with one mod.

Edited by Schanez

On 7/30/2020 at 6:29 AM, Brightguy said:

I agree.  Only add a cannon if you have foils.  But then you need to get locks for the double attack.  So if you're going that route, a Fire Control System is a good buy for 2 points.  You can preroll one die on the primary and then still get two attacks.  Foils+FCS+Ion = 10 points, which is a lot of upgrade, but packs a big punch.  Foils+FCS+Autoblaster is only 7, but shorter range and fewer dice.

Using cannons with the foils us a trap, you're putting too many points into a relatively fragile, low I piece that now has no defensive token. In my experience, Foils is really only good for getting double modded shots for the two I4's and not much else. 

4 hours ago, Nyxen said:

Using cannons with the foils us a trap, you're putting too many points into a relatively fragile, low I piece that now has no defensive token. In my experience, Foils is really only good for getting double modded shots for the two I4's and not much else. 

That is sadly mostly true. I just hope the new cannons in the upcoming packs will be of some worth to the B-Wings.

Hmm.  I don't think that 7 points is a bloated upgrade for that kind of damage potential on Ten Numb.  Not sure that it's the world's most competitive ship, but it can roll a lot of dice with a lot of mods if well positioned.

Generally speaking, the Ion cannon is overpriced. This is also true of the Heavy Laser Cannon and may be true of the Tractor Beam too (jury's still out). Autoblasters are the only cannon that's seeing much use right now, but even that is mostly on the Scyk and Jumpmaster that get a lot more value out of it.

Most ships that take a cannon are using it just to get an extra attack die if possible. The B-Wing doesn't really get that, and the double-tap is hard to set up so it doesn't tend to pay for itself except on the high-initiative pilots, and those are better off with autoblasters anyway. Hopefully we see the other cannons drop a couple of points next update. Until then it looks like Autoblasters are just the way to go.