maniakmedic

In-Flight Report and Expansion Discussion... Discussion

14 hours ago, urloony said:

I'm not a big fan of this as it is antithetical to card collecting.  Twenty folds later, your card is going to be done.  Not to mention it's not going to lay flat on the table.  This is an idea that should have stayed on paper and makes me question their playtesting.

Yeah... I wouldn't worry too much about the durability thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHK9ivH9Yk&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3wT8BXaaRKxTtBdy4_B9jvGsNNbqiFbqkEIr89RatYAEx75HbaDJT2M8Y

1 hour ago, KBlumhardt said:

Nah, it's a gimmick that will eventually tear.  Not in the first week or month, but years down the road as the paper ages and becomes brittle. Big toploaders for me.

19 hours ago, Deadwolf said:

Scarlet Witch - Really cool and Thematic idea. Her hero ability is not very consistent but it is decent for security. Hex Bolt is super efficient no matter the result, so if her whole kit is like that, she will be strong. No strong aspect leaning ls based on what we've seen, tho her stat line slightly suggests Justice or Leadership.

I havent seen the video.  Scarlet Witch has a primary power of being able to manipulate Probability Fields.  Do you think they encapsulated that flavor into her build?  Or do you think they just made her a small hex bolt energy blaster (ie. MCU)?

13 minutes ago, IceHot42 said:

I havent seen the video.  Scarlet Witch has a primary power of being able to manipulate Probability Fields.  Do you think they encapsulated that flavor into her build?  Or do you think they just made her a small hex bolt energy blaster (ie. MCU)?

567730669_ScarletWitch2.jpg.3e6195377f46bd5a35a65be72ec16519.jpg

Posted (edited)

I'm wanting to play Scarlet Witch and Doctor Strange as a duo. With his Astral Projection spell giving you a glimpse at the top encounter card you can avoid using her Chaos Control when you would take a pounding.

Edited by maniakmedic

I think they’ve captured her flavour pretty well. She also has a 2 cost event that flips 3 cards off the Encounter deck and deals a different effect based on the boost icons of each card. She looks like she’ll have some powerful random effects, with the down side of accelerating the Villain deck.

3 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

They showed so little it's hard to get a feeling on that.

But her primary gimmick is that most of her actions have a random aspect to it. But since she is accelerating the scheme, they are above curve.

Random effects generally suck. The amount of planning that seems usual in this game only makes that worse. If someone going before Scarlet Witch needs to decide between attacking and thwarting and you can't know what Scarlet Witch can contribute, that is a huge disadvantage. Maybe calling for actions can mitigate that but if say she's in the wrong mode that may not even be an option.

14 hours ago, HirumaShigure said:

Can't wait to make Scarlet Witch the Sorcerer Supreme!

Interesting that the "powers that be" asked the team to make Ant-Man and Wasp Scott Lang and Nadia Van-Dyn. Hoping this means Ant-Man will come with Wasp (Janet Van-Dyn) ally and Wasp will come with Ant-Man (Hank Pym) ally. 

One of the coolest moments was when they spoiled Warlock (X-Factor) as an ally in the Quicksilver hero pack.  We'll impatiently wait for the X-men Caleb, but keep trickling those X-characters for us please! 

Pretty sure Scott’s gonna get Janet and Nadia is gonna get Hank signature allies so you can use the team-up card in solo. I know thematically it doesn’t exactly work, but gameplay need to trump that.

Also Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch and Rocket & Groot are probably gonna get signature ally cards of each other for their team-cards too.

6 hours ago, maniakmedic said:

I was really hoping we'd get an article about the reveals before the weekend. *sigh*

Yeah, I expect we’ll get articles for all of these in the normal ‘3 months before’ window.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, HamHamJ2 said:

Random effects generally suck. The amount of planning that seems usual in this game only makes that worse. If someone going before Scarlet Witch needs to decide between attacking and thwarting and you can't know what Scarlet Witch can contribute, that is a huge disadvantage. Maybe calling for actions can mitigate that but if say she's in the wrong mode that may not even be an option.

I don’t expect all of her effects to be random, and hex bolt is extremely good for the cost. It’s cost 2 discard 3 cards from the Encounter deck for each card, apply an effect based on the number of boost icons - 0: deal 2 damage, 1: remove 2 threat, 2: draw a card, 3+: give a status effect to a character. It’s very powerful, if a little hard to predict. It’s also kind of interesting in the sense that it probably gets better, the harder the Scenario is.

As for her Chaos Control main ability, I would probably use this sparingly, but it rewards a knowledge of how many of each boost are in the Encounter deck. You could save it just for 3 boosts in the hope of just drawing a better one, but sometimes it will be worth cancelling a 2 boost as well.

Edited by FearLord

38 minutes ago, FearLord said:

I don’t expect all of her effects to be random, and hex bolt is extremely good for the cost. It’s cost 2 discard 3 cards from the Encounter deck for each card, apply an effect based on the number of boost icons - 0: deal 2 damage, 1: remove 2 threat, 2: draw a card, 3+: give a status effect to a character. It’s very powerful, if a little hard to predict. It’s also kind of interesting in the sense that it probably gets better, the harder the Scenario is.

As for her Chaos Control main ability, I would probably use this sparingly, but it rewards a knowledge of how many of each boost are in the Encounter deck. You could save it just for 3 boosts in the hope of just drawing a better one, but sometimes it will be worth cancelling a 2 boost as well.

Alternatively, you could use it on one of the effects that you didn't want with a Hex bolt, or presumably other cards she has with a similar effect.

4 hours ago, FearLord said:

Yeah, I expect we’ll get articles for all of these in the normal ‘3 months before’ window.

Evan did confirm this in the livestream, it’s a bummer having to wait though.

4 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Alternatively, you could use it on one of the effects that you didn't want with a Hex bolt, or presumably other cards she has with a similar effect.

Ah! I didn’t catch that it works on her effects as well! Neat! And it’s once per phase so you can still use it defensively the save turn!

On 7/31/2020 at 1:56 AM, urloony said:

I'm not a big fan of this as it is antithetical to card collecting.  Twenty folds later, your card is going to be done.  Not to mention it's not going to lay flat on the table.  This is an idea that should have stayed on paper and makes me question their playtesting.

My initial thought was 'How am I going to sleeve it?' - maybe I'm getting too OCD about sleeving everything.

1 hour ago, Janaka said:

My initial thought was 'How am I going to sleeve it?' - maybe I'm getting too OCD about sleeving everything.

Having watched the video of the Transformers CCG, the answer seems to be two side-loaders, from each end.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:53 AM, FearLord said:

I expect 1 in each deck. The back of Ant Man’s deck indicates it contains 32 new cards which is quite high, which implies more one off cards I think. 

Is that really high.  A little high perhaps.

16 hero Cards

1 Obligation

5 Nemesis Cards

4 new aspect cards

1 new basic card

Thats 5 extra above and beyond cards in his deck (maybe 3 new allies and 2 more cards)

Didn't Boggs say something about having a Wasp ally in the Ant-Man deck and vice-versa for Wasp so that if you play solo you can still use the new partnership synergies (or whatever they're called)?

So maybe the extra cards in the pack are spare ally cards for optional inclusion when you're not paring the Ant-Man and Wasp hero decks?

3 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

Is that really high.  A little high perhaps.

16 hero Cards

1 Obligation

5 Nemesis Cards

4 new aspect cards

1 new basic card

Thats 5 extra above and beyond cards in his deck (maybe 3 new allies and 2 more cards)

‘High’ is relative I guess, but 32 new cards for deck building is the highest of any hero pack so far. As a comparison, Black Widow’s pack contained 27 new cards. It’s obviously not a crazy difference, but it’s the most so far.

9 hours ago, Janaka said:

Yeah, it isn't OCD, it's protecting our investment.  😃

For my Transformers TCG character cards that are "triple sided" I use an 89mm X 128mm Ultra Pro clear sleeve, then just mark which of the small sides to denote which form my character is in with a token (I actually use a Mandalorian helmet armor token from Star Wars Destiny).