maniakmedic

In-Flight Report and Expansion Discussion... Discussion

42 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Please let all the hero cards for Groot be a variant of "I am Groot".

They said all of his events are. Upgrades and whatnot are more traditionally named, but the one event they showed off is "I. AM. GROOT!" or something like that. So we'll likely get a regular old "I am Groot" and we also saw "We are Groot" on stream briefly (not the whole card, but the title).

1 hour ago, Ascarel said:

If you guys don't solo two-handed, I think this will change with Rocket and Groot. I mean, not even for the team-up cards between them. It's just... I mean, come on. You know you have to do it.

My brain hasn't finished exploding after the Spider-Woman reveal. This is all starting to be way more than I can handle. 😂

I only two-hand, if solo!

So, there's no hero I'm more irritated with than Spider-Woman.  But only because of her deckbuilding.  I have prebuilt class decks that I pick up and play with whichever heroes I want.  They're left more generic, so they're not optimized, but they're perfect for pick-up-and-play in Standard difficulty.  I'm thinking I'll use the duplicates from other hero packs to create 4 class mixer options for Jessica Drew.  Won't know for sure until I have her, but that's how I'm leaning now.  Darn you, Matt Newman with your shake-it-up shenanigans!

3 hours ago, Ascarel said:

I have to continue shaking my head in disbelief at Quicksilver. His hero ability is once per phase. When a Justice player gives him Heroic Intuition, it means Protection Quicksilver can thwart for 4 on his turn, defend freely in the villain phase and come back readied on his next turn. Or defend _twice_ in the villain phase and come back readied with a good ol' Indomitable. And for good measure, a third player on Leadership can Morale Boost him. This is just bunkers.

Looks like a great target for Dr Strange’s Magical Enhancements as well...

2 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

Essentially the twin of Wanda (Scarlet Witch) originally part of the Brotherhood of Mutants with family ties to Magneto.  He switched over and was part of the x-men and avengers.  I liked his film portrayal by Evan Peters.

He is pretty much an early day staple of the Avengers (far more so than Hulk).  He has 130 or so appearances in Avengers vol. 1

He is your basic speedster.

He also marries Crystal from the Inhumans (which gives him some Fantastic Four ties).

In the comics, he’s also kind of a jerk, because he experiences things faster than most people, so finds people frustratingly slow at all times. 

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty excited.

Ant-Man - On flip effects are a really cool mechanic and since he has 3 forms, it makes it an interesting choice. First impression on Aspects is that he is like viable with all 4, but Protection or Leadership is likely best so he can keep switching between the 2 hero forms.

Wasp - Her abilities are less interesting to me but we'll see. First impression is that Justice and Aggression will be best to maximize her abilities.

Quicksilver - I'm actually surprised we haven't seen this as a primary gimmick yet, but I like it. Overall pretty versatile, Prot and Aggression have additional ways to ready, Leadership has the most stat buffs (tho not permanent), and Justice/Thw benefits the most from ready effects and stat buffs.

Scarlet Witch - Really cool and Thematic idea. Her hero ability is not very consistent but it is decent for security. Hex Bolt is super efficient no matter the result, so if her whole kit is like that, she will be strong. No strong aspect leaning ls based on what we've seen, tho her stat line slightly suggests Justice or Leadership.

Rocket - looks like a straightforward hero but attacking things is fun :) His synergy with Aggression is so strong it is tough to see him with anything else, tho the card pool will be considerable different once we get to him so will have to see.

Groot - Ability is solid, similar to Rocket, his synergy with Protection is so strong that it is hard to see him with anything else, but again, there is a lot between now and then we dont know.

Edited by Deadwolf

21 hours ago, maniakmedic said:

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I saw Groot and the collector.  Did they say who is included in the rest of the box?

8 hours ago, Ascarel said:

Yeah, the 3-sided, or "folding", identity cards, not something I saw coming either.

I'm not a big fan of this as it is antithetical to card collecting.  Twenty folds later, your card is going to be done.  Not to mention it's not going to lay flat on the table.  This is an idea that should have stayed on paper and makes me question their playtesting.

1 hour ago, urloony said:

I saw Groot and the collector.  Did they say who is included in the rest of the box?

Rocket is the other hero.

The other villains are Nebula, Brotherhood of Badoon, and Ronin the Accuser. You fight the Collector twice, so it's five scenarios again.

A thought has occurred to me for the Team-up cards.  How many do you get in the pack?  The general rule is that you get a playset of what 1 player needs.  Team-up cards are 1/deck, so I'd normally say 1, but they almost require to be in 2 decks.  So does that mean we get 1 in each hero's pack, or 2 in one of them?  What about Flora and Fauna?  Is that 2 in Galaxy's Most Wanted?  I'm 95% sure that they'll get us the right number of cards somehow, I'm just curious about how they're going to do it (because it makes updating my spreadsheet easier)

It sounded like 1 per hero pack, given that they said they would still be useable even if no other player is playing as the team-up hero. I think the example they gave was that Ant-Man’s deck contains a Wasp ally card, which fulfills the condition to play the card. For Galaxy’s Most Wanted I imagine you get 2, one for Rocket’s deck and one for Groot’s.

6 hours ago, urloony said:

I'm not a big fan of this as it is antithetical to card collecting.  Twenty folds later, your card is going to be done.  Not to mention it's not going to lay flat on the table.  This is an idea that should have stayed on paper and makes me question their playtesting.

20 folds later? You should try to be more gentle, Lenny...

34 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

A thought has occurred to me for the Team-up cards.  How many do you get in the pack?  The general rule is that you get a playset of what 1 player needs.  Team-up cards are 1/deck, so I'd normally say 1, but they almost require to be in 2 decks.  So does that mean we get 1 in each hero's pack, or 2 in one of them?  What about Flora and Fauna?  Is that 2 in Galaxy's Most Wanted?  I'm 95% sure that they'll get us the right number of cards somehow, I'm just curious about how they're going to do it (because it makes updating my spreadsheet easier)

I expect 1 in each deck. The back of Ant Man’s deck indicates it contains 32 new cards which is quite high, which implies more one off cards I think. 

5 hours ago, maniakmedic said:

Rocket is the other hero.

The other villains are Nebula, Brotherhood of Badoon, and Ronin the Accuser. You fight the Collector twice, so it's five scenarios again.

There was also talk of the campaign functioning differently to Red Skull - with a market deck you can earn money to buy from etc, to reflect the more mercenary nature of the Guardians.

6 minutes ago, Daft Blazer said:

Interesting, I think all the recovery stats are only 3, probably some balancing going on?

I think 3 just tends to be “standard human / slightly enhanced human” recovery. We see it on Captain America, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Dr Strange, Black Widow, etc. Only people with super human levels of invulnerability / resistance seems to get higher than that. Black Panther is probably the least enhanced person to get a 4. 

I think 3 makes sense for all of these characters barring Groot (who is a 4 and has his own damage mitigation abilities).

4 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Just started playing this during lockdown so not as familiar as many others. One thing that confused me during the stream was that the Team-up cards are Basic Aspect. As they can only be played by the two specific heroes, what would the reasoning be not to have them in the hero-specific decks?

Can't wait to make Scarlet Witch the Sorcerer Supreme!

Interesting that the "powers that be" asked the team to make Ant-Man and Wasp Scott Lang and Nadia Van-Dyn. Hoping this means Ant-Man will come with Wasp (Janet Van-Dyn) ally and Wasp will come with Ant-Man (Hank Pym) ally. 

One of the coolest moments was when they spoiled Warlock (X-Factor) as an ally in the Quicksilver hero pack.  We'll impatiently wait for the X-men Caleb, but keep trickling those X-characters for us please! 

4 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

Can't wait to make Scarlet Witch the Sorcerer Supreme!

Interesting that the "powers that be" asked the team to make Ant-Man and Wasp Scott Lang and Nadia Van-Dyn. Hoping this means Ant-Man will come with Wasp (Janet Van-Dyn) ally and Wasp will come with Ant-Man (Hank Pym) ally. 

One of the coolest moments was when they spoiled Warlock (X-Factor) as an ally in the Quicksilver hero pack.  We'll impatiently wait for the X-men Caleb, but keep trickling those X-characters for us please! 

I'm totally going to make Scarlet Witch the Sorcerer Supreme!

And I'm super glad we finally got confirmation that the X-men will be coming. Maybe not soon, but they're going to happen. I want a Nightcrawler deck!