Sign in to follow this  
Kyle Ren

Wedge in a Z-95

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Keeping it a missile that works by an attack hitting is the only thing that would actually work for "XX-23 S-Thread Tracers."

OHHHH actually it should be a condition card!

I had been thinking of a buzz-droid-like remote that doesn’t do damage but lets friendly ships lock from out of range.

Maybe something like:

S-thread tracers. 2 points, missile, 2 charges.

3-dice front attack, R1-3.

Attack: During the system phase, you may perform this attack. If you do, you cannot attack again this round. If this attack hits, instead of dealing damage, apply the “tracked” condition to the defender.

Tracked - condition

Enemy ships can lock you, even beyond range 3.

Action: If your revealed maneuver is blue, remove this condition card.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

12 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Attack: During the system phase, you may perform this attack. If you do, you cannot attack again this round. If this attack hits, instead of dealing damage, apply the “tracked” condition to the defender.

Tracked - condition

Enemy ships can lock you, even beyond range 3.

Action: If your revealed maneuver is blue, remove this condition card.

I think wording it to gaining a disarm token to simplify things. I think it should fire like a missile, but attach a remote that stays attached to either the front or back, but can be shot off or scraped off on an obstacle. That makes the "condition" removable.

56 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

That sounds like an X-Wing with extra steps...

More fragile but ya. It was Terrik's personal fighter that he loaned to Wedge in the Rogue Squadron comics iirc (might have been in the later novels for that series).

Can we put charges on a condition? I don't see why not.

I think the tracers themselves should be a 2 charge missile with spending a charge on each missile. Attack works similar to 1E, "on a hit, assign the condition, cancel all hit/crit results."

Then the condition has some number of charges it gains when it hits (2-4, somewhere in there). The condition allows allies targeting that ship to ignore lock requirement of an attack for the cost of a charge from the condition. When no charges left, condition falls off (this ignores the in-universe lore that the tracers sort of leech off of the ship they're stuck on for power but oh well).

Alternatively, the number of charges the condition receives could be based on the original attack. Such as, "on a hit, assign the condition with a number of charges equal to the number of uncancelled hit/crit results, then cancel all hit/crit results." If that's the case, maybe the upgrade itself gets another charge, or maybe it doesn't.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

I think wording it to gaining a disarm token to simplify things.

Oh duh. Of course 😛

7 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

I think it should fire like a missile, but attach a remote that stays attached to either the front or back, but can be shot off or scraped off on an obstacle. That makes the "condition" removable.

That was why I had suggested a remote at first, but then I realized it's not really thematic to barrel-roll it off or scrape it on an obstacle. A thematically-accurate ship like the Ghost could probably never get rid of it. More likely you're just devoting some time and attention (and maybe your astromech) to removing it, like a face-up damage card but a little more restrictive and less punishing.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

5 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

More likely you're just devoting some time and attention (and maybe your astromech) to removing it, like a face-up damage card but a little more restrictive and less punishing.

So an "Action:"

31 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

That was why I had suggested a remote at first, but then I realized it's not really thematic to barrel-roll it off or scrape it on an obstacle. A thematically-accurate ship like the Ghost could probably never get rid of it. More likely you're just devoting some time and attention (and maybe your astromech) to removing it, like a face-up damage card but a little more restrictive and less punishing.

I figured that unlike discord droids that can scuttle around to the other side of a ships, the tracer would be attached so slamming into a rock would essentially be crushing the tracer in between the hull and the obstacle. Barrel rolling it off is not an option in what I've imagined.

On 7/25/2020 at 5:03 AM, Stryker359 said:

Legends Lore-wise it'd need to be a Z-95 with four cannons, so essentially a baby X-Wing in every respect with a 3/2/2/2 statline.

It was a modified starfighter which incorporated most of pre-series parts for xwing design (mainly hyperdrive and s-foils design) as testbed. Booster acquired in not too legal way when the xwing project was initially shut down after the Empire refused to buy the line from Incom and made the exclusive contract policy with the KDY/Sienar shipbuilders cartel firms. In a way was a prototype xwing, more than was a modern z95 (which is best represented by the one retrofitted by Mara Jade, a true beast of a snubfighter which suited her aggressive piloting style)